Summerslam 2015 planning thread

gadge

I'm going too!

Got a week trip booked and I'm staying in the Lower East Side near the Brooklyn Bridge. Got tickets to NXT, SS and Raw.

I would've been up for the ROH show in Philly, but getting back so late doesn't sit comfortably with me as I'm doing this whole trip alone!

What UKFF meet-ups do people have planned? Admittedly I don't post on here often, but I would be game for hanging out with some fellow UK folk before some of the shows. New Yorkers do my head in!

Sent you a PM mate. At the moment there are five of us meeting up for a pub crawl in Manhattan after NXT and in Philly, before ROH.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems I'm now going to this.

The story begins 18 months ago.

Mick Foley on his twitter announced a massive Once In A Lifetime competition in which one single winner would get to be his guest at WrestleMania 30. Flights and hotels all sorted along with tickets to Hall of Fame, WrestleMania, and Monday Night Raw.

It was done in conjunction with a site called NetRaffle.org who work with various sporting leagues and teams to do these once in a lifetime prizes raising loads of money by charging for electronic raffle tickets. The minimum is 5 tickets for $10, but anyuone can buy as many as they like.

It sounded awesome, so I entered and didn't win.

Foley did the same thing again this year with the winner getting to watch WM31 from an executive box along with Mick and his daughter and I didn't win that one either.

After entering these draws from this site, I must have got added to their database because I got emails over the past few weeks saying Triple H is doing a Once In A Lifetime prize for SummerSlam weekend.

Here is the video:

https://youtu.be/ZFO6Baoqj7w

Grand Prize:

• Winner will receive 2 tickets to the following shows, being held at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY:
    • Saturday, August 22, 2015: NXT Takeover  
    • Sunday, August 23, 2015: WWE SummerSlam 
    • Monday, August 24, 2015: Monday Night Raw 
  • Additionally, the winner and a guest will participate in:
    • A Pizza Tour with WWE Legends
    • Breakfast Slam Session with WWE Superstars
    • An exclusive reception with WWE Superstars prior to SummerSlam
  • Travel Accommodations for the winner and a guest will include:
    • Round-trip airfare and subway transportation to NXT Takeover, SummerSlam and Monday Night Raw, plus a 3-night stay in a Times Square area hotel in New York City (1 room total) 
  • Winner will also receive a signed WWE Championship Title and two merchandise packages

Realising the draw was taking place on Tuesday of this week, I put $15 down just before the deadline.

Fast forward a day to Wednesday morning. I got a tweet out of the blue from somebody I don't know saying "Congratulations on winning the SummerSlam raffle".

My first suspicion was some kind of spambot knowing I entered that draw and trying to get me to click a link to claim my prize or something. But there was no link.

Later that day I went back to the NetRaffle site and at the bottom of the SummerSlam competition page it said this draw has now ended, click to see the winner.

It was my name and my address.

But I STILL didn't believe I was the winner because WWE or NetRaffle hadn't contacted me at all.

At 00:04 on Thursday morning I got an email from a WWE corporate email address saying I bloody well did win this contest (not in those words) and asked for my details to get working on sorting out the details. It's official!

Problem #1: My passport expired in April.

My wife was due to give birth in May so I didn't foresee any foreign holidays for the next few years and didn't bother renewing my passport.

So I sprung it on work yesterday that I needed today off to head to my nearest Passport Office and booked an appointment for this afternoon at Peterborough.

Problem #2: Our son is only 11 weeks old.

My wife has been considering recently letting one of our parents have the kid for one night to see how he gets on. But she still thinks it's a bit early. So  her & I having 3 nights / potentially 5 days away from him in America was not happening.

I had a weekend in London last month to meet the stars of 'Back To The Future' at Comic-Con. So since we had our son this will be my second weekend away before he is 3 months old. Father of The Year I ain't.  :unsure:

Yeah so anyway, Triple H tweeted a congratulations to Mark D from Lincolnshire and I'm well on the way with WWE getting my details.

I can't apply for a Visa which is needed to get into the country because part of that form asks for the address of the place I am staying while in America. As of now, I have no idea. Hopefully that will get sorted in the next 8 days and they will let me in.

Pretty exciting.  :thumbsup:

Congrats dopper and hey if your looking for a travel companion if your wife can't go, I will be happy to tag up ;)

Thanks for the offer!

On that subject, it's amusing how a lot of people I know who take great delight in reminding me how pathetic wrestling is have suddenly been a lot more interested in it these past few days.  :rolleyes:

My Mum and I went for a week in New York way back in 1999. We fell in love with the place, and I have been lucky enough to go back there a few times since. But my Mum has never had the chance to.

So as she retired earlier this year I thought taking her along to see the Big Apple one more time would be a nice gesture.

However ... I didn't take into account the wrestling fan stereotypes.

When I turn up there to these events where I presumably meet and interact with WWE superstars, they will just see a man in his mid-thirties and his little old Mum.

I am married with a child, but I just know a casual observer would assume I have just left her basement to go on this trip.

The lads at work are having a field day with this development, as you would imagine.  :blush:

Archived