"Irish" $tew Allen passes away

Mark Sloan

Really shocked reading this on Facebook. Stew was a really nice guy; we had some great discussions over the years - whether wrestling, football, music, steroids or whatnot. We lost contact when RIM died, but kept in touch here and there via Facebook. Even though we never met in real life, I felt like I knew the man for over 12 years - great great guy. Thoughts goes out to his family and friends, shows you how precious life really is.

Edited by Terje Rindal

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

I was really shocked and saddened to hear this. Stew was passionate, knowledgeable, and a super nice guy; a fact which is borne out by the many tributes online. If you're not on Twitter, search his name @Stewstyle in the Twitter search box, and you'll get a sense of how the world felt about him.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

Horrible news, I knew Stew a long time; on RIM and on here, as well as at loads of shows down the years. He was always a lovely fella, I was honestly delighted whenever I saw him and had a chance to have a chat. My social media is full of people mourning him, really shows how much people cared about him and what a genuinely great bloke he was. I'll miss him.

• Paid Members

That's real sad. I didn't know him personally but he always seemed like a very knowledgeable guy on the pro-wres. I know a lot of guys from here and RIM knew him well. Condolences to them and everyone else who knew him. 

Absolutely devastated. I loved commentating with Stew. It's rare that you find someone with a great knowledge of a niche product like DGUK who is able to convey that in an entertaining and professional way, but Stew was that man. He knew all the info and background of the Japanese guys. I just rode on his coattails and filled in a few gaps about the Brit guys mainly, He was such a nice guy, no ego, and we always had such a great laugh together, especially on the road between shows. I just can't believe he's gone, I really can't. I can't contemplate doing DGUK with anybody else. He's irreplacable in my eyes.

37 is absolutely no age to go. I don't know how it happened, all I know is that it feels so unfair and it hurts like hell.

I've been in a state of numbness for the last four hours and it's slowly turning into real sadness.  I know the tears are on their way.

I spent the Saturday and yesterday in Nottingham and St Neots at the Southside shows, and he was meant to be there too but wasn't in good health.  I only spoke to him yesterday afternoon and while he still wasn't well he sounded like he was getting better.  That's why this has an even bigger sting to it.

I don't know what to do but feel like I should be doing something.  I'm going to miss him.

• Paid Members

So much love for the man. It really gladdens my heart. I've been half-heartedly saying to Lister that we need a RIMup again, and that we didn't do anything about it makes me sad now, but also determined to actually do it. We can talk about $tew and watch wrestling. He would have liked that, I think. Maybe not the talking about $tew bit.

Stew was an absolute diamond, I spent some great times with him traveling, going to shows and just bullshitting on the phone about stuff. I read the news on my phone earlier and burst in to tears, I'm lucky in a way that death hasn't affected me too much in my own life thus far but this really hit me hard. As already said, you can tell from Facebook and Twitter just how much Stew meant to everyone that he met, and even those that hadn't met him in person but spoke to him online. I'm better for having known him.

Was a lovely easy going fella, and my God, did he love NJPW back in the day (early to mid 2000s) no matter how much Makai Club type nonsense existed.

Haha I forgot about that, his love for New Japan bordered on the psychotic. That commitment and faith and positivity was a great aspect of his personality from the little I knew him. He was so laid back and easy to be around. Lovely guy. Heartbreaking news.

• Paid Members

I'm deeply saddened by this. I learnt about Stew's passing on Twitter and immediately started welling up, which I rarely do even for relatives.

I knew he'd been in poor health recently but was sure he'd make a full recovery. Sadly, that wasn't to be.

I'll always remember him as a humble, polite and utterly decent person who loved his wrestling, and if anything, he was able to leave us with his favourite promotion - New Japan Pro Wrestling - arguably being the hottest promotion around.

Farewell amigo.

I'm deeply saddened by this. I learnt about Stew's passing on Twitter and immediately started welling up, which I rarely do even for relatives.

I knew he'd been in poor health recently but was sure he'd make a full recovery. Sadly, that wasn't to be.

I'll always remember him as a humble, polite and utterly decent person who loved his wrestling, and if anything, he was able to leave us with his favourite promotion - New Japan Pro Wrestling - arguably being the hottest promotion around.

Farewell amigo.

• Paid Members

Farewell amigo.