Kris Travis dies aged 31

IANdrewDiceClay

Terrible news. Its always horrible to hear of someone so young with so much to live for dying :(

I saw Kris wrestle many times for PWE up at Ayr, and he was always someone the crowd loved to hate, especially when he was teaming with Kirby. He was a fantastic wrestler and I feel privalged to have seen him wrestle and to have met him.

I was in attendance at Ayr last year when he made one of his first in-ring appearances since being cleared to wrestle again. His appearance was unannounced and when the video was shown and then Kris walked to the ring the crowd were so hyped, which shows what a high regard he was held in. To then go out and wrestle a hardhitting match after all he had been through was just increadible.

Thanks for the memories, Kris.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't have much to add to what anyone has said here. I never got to see him wrestle. I did get to see him at the PCW/ROH Supershow in 2014 and it breaks my heart to think at the point he was looking at a happy recovery. I followed his cancer story and the man himself ever since. All the tweets and outpouring of emotion here in the wrestling world is cutting me up. Fuck off cancer. 32. Thats not right.

RIP Kris.

A funny Trav moment from a show I remember.
He and Kirby used to ham it up big time at The Granby 1PW shows.
On one occassion the crowd were getting on Travs case, calling PE losers etc.. so he yelled 'Hey, we beat BritRAGE!!'. 
Not funny in of itself but the childish petulence with which he spat it towards te hecklers made everyone laugh!

Great talent.

Watching progress chapter ten match with project ego vs Manson and grado. Laughing my head off. They have it free on their on demand, so go watch if you can, starts 14 mins in

• Paid Members

I was really shocked and saddened to hear this news earlier today. I was aware that Kris' cancer had come back, but actually had no idea that it had got this bad. This comes as a real kick in the teeth. I suppose I am lucky that I have never had anybody that I'd known in real life die young before, so it is a humbling reminder of just how fragile our mortality is that cancer can take somebody younger and much fitter than I am in such cruel fashion. I couldn't claim to know Kris at all well, as it has been several years since I last saw him, but I did meet him on several occasions. I trained with him, travelled with him, even worked with him once or twice and he was always extremely cool with me, always down-to-earth and just a normal, funny lad that loved his wrestling. He will be missed by so many, my thoughts are with his family and friends tonight.

• Paid Members

Because I was on the late shift today, my lunch break was at 3:30. I'd already felt my phone buzz in my pocket about 20 minutes before I went and when I got to the staff room I unlocked my phone to see a text telling me that Ronnie Corbett had died.
Literally seconds later, with the phone still in my hand, another message appeared saying simply "Fuck. Kris Travis has gone".

I first met Kris in 2004 when I did my first training session with NBW. I didn't catch his name that first week, but he was doing some stand-out stuff with Bubblegum (that I came home and told Majik about).

From there I watched him have great match after great match. I watched him ditch the yellow trousers and change into pink shorts. I watched him come up with brilliant and crazy ideas for matches, and I wonder if he ever said no to anything. No matter what it was, he seemed able to make it work.

In the ring he could do anything. Highflying, brawling, technical, hardcore, and - as Au demonstrated - comedy. He could be fanboy spotty as fuck on Friday night, old school family friendly on Saturday, and then Sunday would see him and Kevin Thorne kicking the absolute shit out of each other with such conviction that the "l3git heat" between them might not have been a bluff after all.

I must have seen him wrestle at least 50 times, and I can't remember him ever having a bad match, or ever not bringing the best out of his opponent. I never got to have a match proper with him on a show, but I locked up with him plenty of times in training. Even though I started a fair bit later in life than most trainees (I was 27) and in pretty poor shape, he never told me that I couldn't do something. If I found out for myself that I couldn't, then he would offer alternatives to work round it. I remember in a session at Creswell when he asked me to teach him some of my reversals, and coming from a guy like him, that was such a confidence boost. Any of the guys who trained under him can testify that he was always super supportive, even with us shitarses.

God speed, Trav. Like a true shooting star you burned so very, very bright in your short time.

"Every time!" When I think of Kris Travis, I always think of those two words. "Every time!" Kris was a great athlete and a great entertainer. Those two words some up the latter perfectly.

Several years ago, I witnessed Kris and his Project Ego tag team partner Martin Kirby wrestle. However, they didn't just come to wrestle. Oh no, they came to dance!

They challenged their opponents to a dance off and they cued up their song of choice - 5,6,7,8 by Steps!

Off they went, intricate dance moves a plenty. Then, they strutted in a straight line, with Kris following Martin.

Unfortunately, Kirby tripped over and landed on all fours, causing Kris to do the same. They ended up in a rather compromising position in the ring.

At that point, I was non plussed. Typical silly slapstick, or so I thought. My opinion would soon change.

Travis rolled to ringside, frustrated at his partner for messing up their dance routine.

With a disconsolate expression on his face, Travis threw his hands up in the air and yelled "every time!" in frustration, causing me to laugh my arse off.

One subtle comedic touch made that moment for me. RIP Kris Travis. A great wrestler. A great athlete. A great entertainer. Every time.

Archived