WWFChilli - The Actor?

WWFChilli

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

https://www.facebook.com/events/497446023757448/

For those with Facebook. I'm appearing in my first lead role Monday night at the Kings Arms, Salford for a new comedy called 'The Seance'. There is also three shows on Friday/Saturday (matinee/evening Sat) at the new Hope Mill Theatre near Manchester Piccadilly. Ticket link is below for anyone interested with nothing going on. Cheers.

http://www.greatermanchesterfringe.co.uk/index.php?id=3

http://www.greatermanchesterfringe.co.uk/details.php?show_id=236

• Paid Members

Thunderplex: Nah it's just behind Piccadilly. The Hope Mill is a new theatre.

Slapnut: Fraid not, no major monologues, it's all largely ensemble scenes back and forth. There are some good websites about for that man :-)

• Paid Members

Best bust out the bard then. Or have a mooch at some Alan Bennett or John Godber.

Tell me a bit about drama school Slapnut. I've actually never been to one. Is it a bit like uni in regards to loans, hours. You got a full time job outside of it?

I went to a Drama UK Recognised school rather than a Drama UK Accredited school which means it's pretty much a drama school but with not quite as many hours, so it's not as good or prestigious as the likes of RADA.  It was a bit of a mixed bag for me as it was a relatively new course so they still weren't too sure how to run the course to the best standard, so things were chopped and changed on a regular basis.  I can't complain heavily though because I got a few professional tours out of it.  

A regular day would be something along the lines of a movement or voice class from 9-12, lunch until 1, then rehearsal for something from 1-5, all the while with lectures and independent study (aka gym) thrown in there somewhere.  Third year was flat out 9-5 rehearsal for a play though, sometimes 9-9, and if you weren't in the play itself you'd be doing a backstage role which, depending on which one you choose, could be even longer hours (stage management) or barely any work at all (front of house/publicity).  It was pretty intense diving head first into that a month after turning 18, and I almost dropped out after a few weeks because I was mentally exhausted.  You get used to it though.

You get a regular student loan if you're doing a 3 year degree, but not a masters unfortunately.  The major difference between drama school and uni is that there are a LOT more hours, 40 hours a week most of the time.  At the time, I envied my friends doing courses like Creative Writing who only had 10-hour weeks, but I'd welcome learning how to act for 40 hours a week these days.  Mind you, we didn't have exams and the longest essay I had to do was 4000 words so that part was excellent.

I had a part time job at Argos for my third year, only about 15 hours a week, but a few people worked in bars and managed to pick up 30 or so hours a week.  If you can handle finishing work at 4am and getting to a movement class for 9am then crack on, but I think I would have been ill.

I'm not sure how I'll fund a masters if I do get in.  A career loan seems like the most realistic option in terms of tuition fees, but juggling a job and drama school will be difficult, and I'd imagine I'll be completely broke for a year and sponging off my girlfriend and/or mam and dad.  It would be worth it in the long run though, I reckon.

• Paid Members

No, we do have two Davids in the cast but not a Reed.

What happened for me Slapnut was that I did Creative and Performance Art at Uni, graduated in 2010 then did nothing for 4 years due to a massive lack on confidence, needing a proper job etc. Now being 28, I'm too old fir Drama school at this stage. I have the missus and a full time job so dropping all that to try and get in RADA fir example is quite the risk. This fucking business. I still need to get myself a Spotlight page for Christmas :-P

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

12552856_10205390489381837_7107645090537

I'm playing Columbo in a new Comedy Horror Musical in May. Dates below

Wed 4th May
Thurs 5th May
Friday 6th May
Sat 7th May - ALREADY SOLD OUT
Mon 9th May
Tues 10th May
Weds 11th May

Since we've already SOLD OUT for Saturday, I'd like to get peoples names down if interested in going, so they don't miss out. The show is at The Kings Arms in Salford and tickets are £11. Hopefully people who've not been to these before are interested and can make it down.

• Paid Members

12552856_10205390489381837_7107645090537

I'm playing Columbo in a new Comedy Horror Musical in May. Dates below

Wed 4th May

Thurs 5th May

Friday 6th May

Sat 7th May - ALREADY SOLD OUT

Mon 9th May

Tues 10th May

Weds 11th May

Since we've already SOLD OUT for Saturday, I'd like to get peoples names down if interested in going, so they don't miss out. The show is at The Kings Arms in Salford and tickets are £11. Hopefully people who've not been to these before are interested and can make it down.

Good to see you getting your foot in the door

Archived