Bushido UWFI - Sky etc

straightarmbar

Bob Backlund was in one wasn't he? and he stormed off during the middle of it. Sure Meltzer reported it like that back in the WrestlingObserver archives. Probably 1994 - 1995.

Very possibly. He fought Funaki in the original UWF during 1989. Forgot to mention that; Dave Finlay, Caswell Martin, Keith Haward, Marty Jones, Gil Singh, Pete Roberts & Ray Steele all worked for UWF in its infancy (84/85).

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Takada really wasn't a beast. The Berbick fight was supposed to be a work and it sounds to me like Takada took liberties. Kicking a boxer's legs in (who wouldn't know how to defend them, and wouldn't be expecting shoot leg kicks in a worked fight) is a pussy move. Takada's MMA career was a joke as well. Full of works and fuckery. I'm not 100% any of his three wins were legit. The Coleman one definitely wasn't. He fought embarrassingly against Cro Cop as well, wouldn't do anything and kept just flopping to the ground to avoid the fight. He was terrified. The fight was so shit it was cut from the DVD release. Considering Takada was one of Pride's biggest names, Cro Cop was one of K-1's stars and it was a crossover fight, cutting it out of the DVD speaks volumes.

Enson Inoue blasted Takada on Joe Rogan's podcast the other week as well. Basically calling him a big bollockless tart and phony fighter, in so many words.

Anyway, Bad News Brown worked for UWFi as well, didn't he? Saw clips of him against Albright and Sakuraba a while back. I think it was UWFi anyway.

$1 million, really?? fuck.

It's mad how many of these types of fights actually went on, everyone rips on the Art Jimmerson case (who despite being a laughing stock amongst MMA fans was a very good boxer).

Everyone knows about Inoki/Ali of course but there's several other cases of it happening, did the boxer ever come close winning?

I don't know of a top level boxer winning in a mixed match with a top level wrestler.

When Gary Albright visited the UK in the mid 90's he was interviewed on Sky News, offering to fight Bruno & Tyson at the same time !

• Paid Members

did Albright ever fight legit?

its weird how hes the one guy everyone remembers from Bushido. If someone told me to mention one guy they remember from that show, it'd be Albright.

Bob Backlund was in one wasn't he? and he stormed off during the middle of it. Sure Meltzer reported it like that back in the WrestlingObserver archives. Probably 1994 - 1995.

Backlund may have stormed out after his UWF match with Funaki, but he didn’t storm out during the match. What happened is that Funaki felt Backlund was out of his league and basically did everything he could to show him up, eventually getting throwing a dropkick just to show he could do anything he wanted against Backlund, which wound up getting him disqualified because it was the capper on what was a very selfish performance and UWF, which never ever did finishes like that, wanted the whole mess over with.

Takada really wasn't a beast. The Berbick fight was supposed to be a work and it sounds to me like Takada took liberties. Kicking a boxer's legs in (who wouldn't know how to defend them, and wouldn't be expecting shoot leg kicks in a worked fight) is a pussy move. Takada's MMA career was a joke as well. Full of works and fuckery. I'm not 100% any of his three wins were legit. The Coleman one definitely wasn't. He fought embarrassingly against Cro Cop as well, wouldn't do anything and kept just flopping to the ground to avoid the fight. He was terrified. The fight was so shit it was cut from the DVD release. Considering Takada was one of Pride's biggest names, Cro Cop was one of K-1's stars and it was a crossover fight, cutting it out of the DVD speaks volumes.

Anyway, Bad News Brown worked for UWFi as well, didn't he? Saw clips of him against Albright and Sakuraba a while back. I think it was UWFi anyway.

The Takada vs. Berbick match was supposed to be a work. At least, that’s what Berbick was told. So yes, it was a set-up. The supposed reason behind why they pulled the double cross is that Berbick held them up for money. All of Takada’s wins in PRIDE were bought and paid for. The Coleman one was well known even beforehand, to the point that Coleman was asked about it and gave the response that he had to feed his family. Bad News Brown was in the UWF-I but the matches weren’t any good because he just too broken down.

The closest he came to a real fight was his infamous non-cooperation bout with Kiyoshi Tamura.

• Moderators

its weird how hes the one guy everyone remembers from Bushido. If someone told me to mention one guy they remember from that show, it'd be Albright.

Because he was the pushed white guy and Vader and John Tenta bouts were cut out of the Bushido tapes.

• Paid Members

Enson Inoue had some choice words about Takada in his latest Joe Rogan podcast...basically called the man a pussy. Inoue's all about the honor and he said Takada has none, he tells a story of Takada running from a club and not helping a friend out who was getting attacked.

Always fascinates me how Takada and his worked ways seeped into Pride. The Rickson Gracie/Takada fight was legit though wasn't it? that was in Pride, Gracie schooled him.

Always fascinates me how Takada and his worked ways seeped into Pride. The Rickson Gracie/Takada fight was legit though wasn't it? that was in Pride, Gracie schooled him.

Both Takada vs.Gracie fights were legit. The Gracie fights were always legit because they would never do works. That isn't to say they didn't try to manipulate things because there were fights where they insisted on special rules.which were designed to minimize their chances of losing, because the thing at the time was that nobody had ever truly beaten a Gracie, and they always tried to avoid that.

The thing with Takada's worked fights in PRIDE is that without them, there was no PRIDE. Takada was nothing as real fighter but he was still, by far, the biggest draw they had and without protecting him as much as they could and buying him wins to protect his image and drawing power, there was no base on which PRIDE could be built on.

I agree. he was ultra quick for big guy - and probably had the best suplex in town - called "Demolition Man" by the Japanese. Exciting wrestler.

• Paid Members

Berbick hated kicks ever since Larry Holmes missle kicked him from a car roof.

classic.

Berbick was a  controversial character, he became a preacher later in life and was eventually murdered by his nephew. Google Berbick's name, anything he got involved with ended in controversy.

i know it's boxing, but here's a great little picture reel of the buildup and fight between Berbick and Muhammad Ali...it was Ali's last fight and fans never forgave Berbick for putting a beating on an aging Ali.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/gallery/2011/dec/11/boxing-muhammad-ali#/?picture=383115353&index=0

Programme-from-the-Muhamm-001.jpg

Archived