This is the worst match, I've ever been in... #4 - Owen Hart

tiger_rick

I think Owen's generally overrated to hell

I always think that this is in the "Cena Suckz" band for me and people think its just the cool thing to say. He is my favourite of all time and was before he died. Just because he's dead and people like him, doesn't make him overrated. I know plenty of people that loved Owen and I think the only thing that held him back from the big time was his size. He was loyal to the company, had terrific matches, and was far better than he had any right to be from a very young age.

Uhm, ok.. thanks for telling me why I think what I think.

Here was me thinking it was because there are so many people with similar thoughts to yourself, who think he deserved to be a genuine main eventer (or at least be a lot closer to that position than he was), whilst I think the spot he found himself in at pretty much all times after the failed 1994 run (as fun as he was during it) was exactly where he belonged. And my opinion is about as low as you'll ever hear.

He was a midcard workhorse. Useful to have around, entertaining in most of what he did - but ultimately, a million miles away from being money making, main event material.

Like a Chris Jericho before the third comeback

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll throw in their rematch from Survivor Series 97. Austin was coming back off neck surgery so it was kept short enough not to be really shit but it was an ugly match. Felt like a letdown after waiting for Austin's big return to the ring for months.

Austin hadn't had neck surgery at that point - he'd just rested since SummerSlam.  Owen wasn't 100% either, and should not have been in the ring as he had a concussion at the time.  That's why there were a total of only two bumps in the whole match.

Owen vs Shamrock in the dungeon was pretty weak IMO, but at least I remember it. I have a hard time remembering any of the Blue Blazer stuff in 1999, so I imagine he was going through the motions at this point in his career. There's bound to be some utter non events in that time period. 

I think Owen's generally overrated to hell

I always think that this is in the "Cena Suckz" band for me and people think its just the cool thing to say. He is my favourite of all time and was before he died. Just because he's dead and people like him, doesn't make him overrated. I know plenty of people that loved Owen and I think the only thing that held him back from the big time was his size. He was loyal to the company, had terrific matches, and was far better than he had any right to be from a very young age.

Uhm, ok.. thanks for telling me why I think what I think.

Here was me thinking it was because there are so many people with similar thoughts to yourself, who think he deserved to be a genuine main eventer (or at least be a lot closer to that position than he was), whilst I think the spot he found himself in at pretty much all times after the failed 1994 run (as fun as he was during it) was exactly where he belonged. And my opinion is about as low as you'll ever hear.

He was a midcard workhorse. Useful to have around, entertaining in most of what he did - but ultimately, a million miles away from being money making, main event material.

I didn't say what YOU think, just that the Owen is overrated is generally a "jump on the band wagon" type of statement. Although as far as I know, you could have been the first person to say that and everyone else followed suit.

Although I didn't mention anything about him being a genuine main eventer, I do think that he should have been given a World Title. He should have been in the position that Bob Backlund was. He should have taken the title from Bret and Dropped it to Diesel in the same manner.

Was 1994 a failure? He had the best match on the card in three of the five PPV's that year, which i'm sure anyone would struggle to argue. Owen Vs Bret from WM10 is not only the best match on the card, but one of the best matches in company history. Owen Vs 123 Kid at KOTR is widely regarded as a classic. Owen Vs Bret at Summerslam in the cage is often referred to as one of the best cage matches ever. Hardly a failure.

• Paid Members

I will have a think and reply to the OP later.

However, after the bret jump to WCW, were there any rumblings between then and Owen passing about him jumping ship too? I can't remember reading anything but I'm not sure.

PowerSlam at the time said that Davey had paid his way out of his WWF contract to go to WCW and that owen wanted to go too but Vince wouldn't let him.

I didn't say what YOU think, just that the Owen is overrated is generally a "jump on the band wagon" type of statement. Although as far as I know, you could have been the first person to say that and everyone else followed suit.

Well, that's the whole reason for having that opinion; Relative to folk who loved him, from my surfing I haven't found many people who think along the same lines as me. No matter the nature of the site or what type of fan they generally cater to, the firm consensus tends to be far closer to your opinion of him than mine.

But no, if others feel the same, i'm sure I wouldn't have been the first. Not that that makes my views any less valid.

Was 1994 a failure? He had the best match on the card in three of the five PPV's that year, which i'm sure anyone would struggle to argue. Owen Vs Bret from WM10 is not only the best match on the card, but one of the best matches in company history. Owen Vs 123 Kid at KOTR is widely regarded as a classic. Owen Vs Bret at Summerslam in the cage is often referred to as one of the best cage matches ever. Hardly a failure.

Yes, it was an abject failure. Almost overnight, he was elevated from a guy at the level of Virgil and Koko B Ware, to one of the top heels in the company. He had so much spotlight throughout 1994, was given a programme and clean win on the biggest stage against the man who would be WWF champion a few hours later. He was chosen to be King of the Ring, and was given a joint main event spot at Summerslam. Superpushes like that are practically unheard of.

If they're going to give you that sort of opportunity, it goes without saying they have big plans and high hopes for you. You're not getting pushed like that just so you can end up wrestling in the tag division, face the Gunns at the next Wrestlemania then spend the rest of your career in the midcard background.

He brought a lot of fun in 1994, and sure, he was inevitably in a far better spot than what he'd been in back in '93, but considering the rub he got and the position he settled into afterwards when things levelled out, you can't describe his run as anything other than a failure.

He brought a lot of fun in 1994, and sure, he was inevitably in a far better spot than what he'd been in back in '93, but considering the rub he got and the position he settled into afterwards when things levelled out, you can't describe his run as anything other than a failure.

Its that 1994 run that people look back on with so much fondness and ensured that we would still be talking about his career 15 years after he died. I stand by my opinion that this run was a success and not only did this feud help him climb out the shadows of the Blue Blazer and High Energy, Bret Hart also came out of it looking so much better than when he went in.

Its that 1994 run that people look back on with so much fondness and ensured that we would still be talking about his career 15 years after he died. I stand by my opinion that this run was a success and not only did this feud help him climb out the shadows of the Blue Blazer and High Energy, Bret Hart also came out of it looking so much better than when he went in.

Absolutely. I look back on it with a lot of fondness myself. That doesn't make a bit of difference though. The purpose of his push wasn't so that fans could look back in future decades and talk about it, it was to establish him as a main event player. And it failed. 

Absolutely. I look back on it with a lot of fondness myself. That doesn't make a bit of difference though. The purpose of his push wasn't so that fans could look back in future decades and talk about it, it was to establish him as a main event player. And it failed.

It's interesting to see others peoples views on that. Never seen it that way myself. I think the got exactly what they were looking for out of the situation personally, a solid B+ player. ;)

Owen was world class. I've been re-watching Raw fro the beginning and am at the tail end of '95. I didn't mind big Yoko btw, but Owen usually carried him and the opponents through a match. And that was against the worst opposition. Against good opposition, world class.

I think people say he's over-rated to counteract the thought he would have been a World Champ hadn't he died. He was hardly in the peak of his career in '99, and was nowhere near the title picture. But that's irrelevant to me.

In terms of worst match, hard call. Ill disregard all his very early stuff, as he was basically a jobber. Survivor Series '94? I didn't really like it. That doesn't really count mind you, there was 7 other men in it and three of them were Knights. I can't really choose, I can't think of a bad match he's been in. There must be one mind you.

Owen was world class. I've been re-watching Raw fro the beginning and am at the tail end of '95. I didn't mind big Yoko btw, but Owen usually carried him and the opponents through a match. And that was against the worst opposition. Against good opposition, world class.

I think people say he's over-rated to counteract the thought he would have been a World Champ hadn't he died. He was hardly in the peak of his career in '99, and was nowhere near the title picture. But that's irrelevant to me.

In terms of worst match, hard call. Ill disregard all his very early stuff, as he was basically a jobber. Survivor Series '94? I didn't really like it. That doesn't really count mind you, there was 7 other men in it and three of them were Knights. I can't really choose, I can't think of a bad match he's been in. There must be one mind you.

The Knights was the 93 Survivors. 94 he was on the team of HBK,Diesel, Anvil and Double J

Anybody who thinks Owen Hart should have ever been world champion in his era is vastly overrating him. He was a technically proficient wrestler who was at his best doing silly midcard comedy. He'd have been perfectly cast in the kind of role Matt Hardy was doing in late 2002 actually, as the cocky little prick who was mates with the big baddie and took TV hidings from the babyface to build up the real stars fighting each other on the pay-per-view. And that Sean Waltman/Val Venis role of making new boys look decent. In the two-titles era, he'd have probably bagged the Smackdown one if he'd been in his prime -- he might have been decent doing something similar to what Daniel Bryan did as a heel world champ. Owen was pretty much useless after the Austin feud and Bret leaving anyway, though.

Archived