TUF 19: Team Edgar vs Team Penn

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

that's what i was thinking. I think Drysdale's debut has fallen through about 4 times now though and everytime he was scheduled he was in that opening fight slot, maybe it's a contract thing?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah Drysdale was originally meant to debut at UFC 163 last August, but got injured. Then he was meant to fight at UFC 167 in November but failed a drug test. He was applying for TRT and the paperwork got ballsed up or something. It's been a long time coming this debut.

• Paid Members

Yeah it's a funny one. I don't really know what the thinking behind that would be. I always thought Drysdale would be thought of pretty highly in the UFC, if for no other reason than his work with the likes of Frank Mir and Forrest Griffin back when those two were headlining big PPVs. He's undefeated as well. Personally, I'd rather have seen his fight than any of the FS1 prelims.

The finale is a really weak card all in all. My interest consists of the main event (and even then I'm only interested because I'm a huge fan of both, Penn especially. The result isn't really in much doubt). Scoggins because he's shown a lot of promise so far and could be an interesting challenger for Mighty Mouse or Dodson down the line. Drysdale's debut, which I probably won't even get to see. And hoping Lima wins the final. That's it.

Couple of guys I'm not too familiar with who could surprise me, I guess. But can't complain too much. I'm looking at this as just a bit of icing on the UFC 175 cake.

That Patrick Walsh getting a shot at the finale is proof Dana is a Just Bleeder. Watching his last fight on TUF was painful. Flailing his arms about hoping something would land, pretty much no technique, didn't even look in that good shape, was breathing through his arse within a round. He looked terrible to me. He reminded me of Josh Haynes off TUF 3. But that was 2006. I get that he showed some toughness on the show but man, he was cack. It was a long 15 minutes.

• Paid Members

i think Patrick Walsh is a bit of a one trick pony, he was forced to stand in the fight with Gordon but he said earlier in the season that's he's a ground and pounder who models his style after Mark Coleman... as with Coleman though, he struggles like fuck if he can't get it there.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I suppose if he's kept around after the finale he might benefit from a drop in weight class. If his style is predominantly takedowns and ground and pound then he'd be better off cutting some weight. That'd be a start. He'll need serious work on his striking either way.

Spohn will probably beat him as well. I wasn't overly impressed with Spohn on the show but he did show pretty strong grappling against God Todd. If it turns into a wrestling match then Spohn as the bigger guy might hold the advantage even in Walsh's best area. Tough fight.

• Paid Members

Anyone seen the new BJ Penn documentary 'Mana'? It's fucking awesome. Give it a watch;

BJ Penn - 'Mana'

"I don't know, I don't wanna sound weird but fighting really is my whole life. It really is. I can do other things but I always get sucked back in. You can try to get out but it sucks you right back in.

I don't even know what I'm searching for at this point. It's just...birds fly, fish swim...and I do this."

It's not going to happen but I'd fucking love to see Penn come out and destroy Edgar on Sunday. And I'm a big fan of Frankie Edgar. But I want to see Penn just Caol Uno him, lick the blood off his gloves and run out the cage again. It'd be great to see him get that one last moment. But yeah, 50-45 Edgar :/

For anyone wondering if Penn might struggle making 145 for the first time;

Brett Okamoto @bokamotoESPN

Sorry if I'm killing suspense here but BJ Penn just weighed in at 148. Then ate lunch. Doesn't appear 146 on Saturday will be a problem.

While I'm on the BJ Penn stuff;

Good BJ Penn media scrum

Ian McCall talks training with Penn, says "he had better cardio than I did, he lasted better over five rounds than I did"

Sounds like BJ has really put the work in. I still think he'll lose but it won't be for lack of motivation or conditioning like people usually say. I just think it's a mix of Edgar being really good and a tricky style for him, and it being too little-too late for Penn to make another run. But I hope I'm wrong. Even if he just makes a really good fight of it and loses it'll be a bit of a moral victory. Better than going out on the Rory and Diaz beatings in the wrong division.

0.jpg

It's not going to happen but I'd fucking love to see Penn come out and destroy Edgar on Sunday. And I'm a big fan of Frankie Edgar. But I want to see Penn just Caol Uno him, lick the blood off his gloves and run out the cage again. It'd be great to see him get that one last moment. But yeah, 50-45 Edgar :/

That would be one the greatest moments in MMA history if it happened. Sadly, I take the Vanilla Midget by shut out over 5 long and depressing rounds. There is a chance BJ will pull out at some stage.

BJ looks up for it, but he did against Rory as well. Just too many miles on the clock in my opinion.

• Paid Members
BJ looks up for it, but he did against Rory as well. Just too many miles on the clock in my opinion.

Very true, he was saying all the right things in the build up to the Rory fight. The difference is though, Rory was just way too big. Going into that fight I expected Rory to win but I didn't quite realise what a mismatch it was until I saw them in the cage together. It really looked like a middleweight vs a lightweight. It shouldn't have happened if we're being honest.

At least with this fight, he sounds motivated PLUS it's in a much better division for his frame, against a skilled fighter but someone who's not likely to really put a hurting on him. Edgar doesn't physically outmatch Penn. The grappling on paper is close with Edgar's wrestling vs Penn's BJJ and takedown defence. The boxing, I'd say Edgar is definitely the quicker and slicker boxer but Penn has the power edge. It's interesting on paper. It's easy to look at the 2-0 scoreline and think Penn has no chance but it probably should've been 1-1. Who's to say the second fight wasn't an off night and this will be similar to the first? It's not like Edgar has been super active lately or wrecking shop at 145 either.

For me, it all comes down to, as you say "miles on the clock". I just get this feeling it's too late for comebacks for Penn. It's got the feel to me of Ricky Hatton's 2012 return to the ring. Where the mind is willing but the body isn't quite up to the task. And who knows what those beatings at 170 really took out of him. A lot of people say Roy Jones was never the same when he went up to heavyweight and came back down in weight. BJ might be in the same boat. If he'd stayed at 155 his whole career and really stuck to a rigid training program, who knows what he'd have been capable of? If you could've given the 25 year old BJ Penn the mindset and work ethic of GSP, he might've ruled 155 the last decade. But then he wouldn't be BJ Penn. Part of what people love about him is that he's nuts. He wanted to fight Arlovski for the heavyweight title in 2004 for fuck's sake!

I love this;

BJ Penn 'Crazy' highlight

He's crazy in the coconut. That boy needs therapy.

The main factors I'm considering going into this fight is that Penn is now 35, and has been fighting for 13 odd years. He hasn't actually won a fight since he beat an over the hill Matt Hughes three and a half years ago, and he's fought three times since then, last fighting a year and a half ago.

Edgar meanwhile is only 32, has slightly less miles on the clock at less weight classes, and has been active against fairly top level competition of late, fighting 6 times since he last beat Penn.

Dana's already said he'll be pushing Penn to retire if he loses this. I don't get a positive vibe from Penn for this fight. I don't think he has it anymore to be honest.

• Paid Members

Yeah I even saw an interview with Penn where he was saying he might retire even if he wins this fight. He even said something during the scrum like 'one week I was just sitting on the couch thinking I'd never throw a punch with bad intentions again. The next week I'm on the phone with Dana and we're talking about fighting Frankie Edgar again'. If he was mentally out of fighting I find it hard to imagine he could just switch that back on again that easy.

Even watching him on TUF, he was like a completely different person to how he was in his prime. On TUF 5 it was like he could have flipped any minute and twatted Pulver. He was joking around a lot but when he was around Pulver or Matt Pena it was like he had to hold himself back. Obviously him and Edgar didn't have the same type of bad blood but still, he was just completely different. Probably just a combination of him becoming more mature, having kids and stuff. Hopefully whatever happens on Sunday he'll have fighting out of his system.

I can't remember where I heard this now but it was definitely from a real source like Rogan, Helwani or even Dana - I heard that Penn wasn't originally going to be fighting Edgar for his comeback fight. It was going to be BJ Penn vs Benson Henderson originally. Again, Bendo would've won but I actually think I would've been more interested in that fight than this Edgar one.

Yeah, I'd have been infinitely more interested in the Benson fight. Penn's at that stage where he should probably be chasing a few "super-fights" rather than looking to fight a guy who's beaten him twice already, and who will most likely do so again in a decision.

Very true, he was saying all the right things in the build up to the Rory fight. The difference is though, Rory was just way too big.

Edgar might just be too quick though. What you said about mixing a 25 year old BJ with GSP's work ethic is spot on.

There are other variables, but this is probably not the thread to discuss them

Archived