TUF 19: Team Edgar vs Team Penn

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've watched some of the build-up stuff online, but I still can't see Penn winning this one. I just want him to at least look as though he still wants to be in there. A close fight, even if he loses, should still leave some options open for him with a few more fights.

• Paid Members

Oh yeah he's very unlikely to win. I still want him to though.

As long as he makes a good fight of it, I could see him fighting a couple more times. If it looks like the second fight though, I think that'll be it, and I'd hope it would be. He has been hinting that this might be his last fight win or lose though.

The problem is, even if somehow BJ came out and repeated the Diego Sanchez performance, we'd think 'fuck we have a new contender at 145' but he'd probably then go back up to 170 or something stupid. He's his own worst enemy sometimes. However long he's got left in the sport, I hope he never ever goes above 155 again. Winning the title at 170 in 2004 doesn't mean he has any business at welterweight in 2014. Hopefully he realises that after the Diaz and MacDonald fights.

• Paid Members

Got up just in time for the main event and now I wish I hadn't. That was just depressing. Really uncomfortable viewing. I hope BJ Penn never fights again. It's so clearly over and he doesn't need to be taking beatings like this. Apparently Dana left ringside midway through the fight.

• Paid Members

Yeah, that was thoroughly depressing. BJ's mannerisms before the fight mirrored those of his second outing with Edgar, and what was up with BJ's stance? Seemed he was begging to get taken down standing like that, whilst offering nothing at all in return.

Without a doubt the end for him.

• Paid Members

Like Wand, I got up briefly at 4.15am and caught the last 2 rounds. Irrespective of whether BJ Penn should retire (he obviously has and should), I simply have no idea what he was trying to do out there. There's being over the hill, and then there's the quite ridiculous. This fell on the later.

What on earth was he thinking with his game plan and more importantly his fighting stance? It was just bizarre.

I have to admit, the way he was talking before the fight, I knew something bad was about to happen. He may have been in shape, but the guy simply didn't look like he was about to fight.

It's been a great ride, but he really needs to stop for the sake of his health.

I have to admit, I have no idea why he chose to fight Edgar for his comeback. It's obvious the guy has his number. He should have looked elsewhere for a fight, as I honestly think the way he lost the previous two played on his mind. He knew he couldn't beat Edgar.

• Paid Members

Yeah I didn't get what he was after with the stance either. Really puzzling. I assume he came out like that to throw Frankie off but it was clear within a minute that it was not working, and BJ seemed to have absolutely no Plan B. He just couldn't or wouldn't pull the trigger on anything. His takedown defence wasn't there anymore either, which could be partly chalked up to BJ's stance but I don't think that was the only reason. BJ's takedown defence always seemed to have a lot to do with his reflexes and balance and it's clear that's all gone now. He's as done as a fighter can be. Sad to see.

I agree Frankie was the worst choice he could've made for his comeback as well. His cardio has always been a question mark, Frankie's is outstanding. Frankie's footwork and speed always troubled him as well. Even back in 2010. That was never going to get better, only worse with time. The only thing BJ had over Frankie was power and that counts for fuck all if you don't pull the trigger. Edgar was great at completely shutting him down.

Just a sad way to go out. And at 16-10 or whatever his record is, a lot of people will probably look back and wonder what the fuss was about. I said before he was his own worst enemy. If GSP kept bouncing between 170 and 185, occasionally even challenging 205ers. Or Anderson Silva kept going up and fighting the top 205ers and occasionally even heavyweights - who's to say how their records would look? If Penn stayed at 155 his whole career, maybe he'd still have had the same results against Edgar, but his record would probably look a lot different now and he'd probably have had an Anderson Silva/GSP-like run as champion. His obsession with fighting bigger guys, and not just any bigger guys, bigger champions, fucked him up royally. He probably took years off his career with the GSP, Diaz, Rory beatings. Everyone from Dana and Lorenzo to his own coach Jason Parillo tried to convince him to stay at 155 but he's always been obsessed with taking on these over the top challenges.

Fucking brilliant memories though as a fan. He was one of the first fighters who hooked me in. Wanderlei, Hendo, Big Nog, Cro Cop, Liddell and Penn were the first fighters that really grabbed my attention. And the times we got Penn at his best were worth all the disappointment in other fights. The first Uno fight, the first Hughes fight, the second Pulver fight, Stevenson, Sherk, Florian, Sanchez. That was BJ Penn at his scariest. I'm glad I got to see one of those live.

bj-penn-submits-joe-stevenson_display_image.jpg

2243749c-66d2-4de5-b4b3-6e3e39f1bc6e.jpg

I've been to a handful of UFC's and some boxing but seeing BJ Penn massacre Joe Stevenson live was proper goosebumpy shit, more than any other fight I've attended by far.

Some twitter stuff;

Mike Chiappetta MMA @MikeChiappetta

"This is the end. I'm thinking why did you step back in the octagon after beating Rory gave you. I needed to find out." - BJ Penn

Penn: "My biggest regret is if I didn't get in the ring tonight. I'd always wonder."

Ariel Helwani @arielhelwani

Penn is crying. He started breaking down when talking about his legacy.

Penn notes how he felt like he would get more love after losses. He thinks he connected with fans because they viewed him as a normal guy.

Br7WjPLIMAAiTg6.jpg

Almost feel sorry for Frankie Edgar as well. He did his job, performed well, stopped BJ Penn, and it was met with a funeral-like atmosphere. He was in a bit of a no win situation there.

Who does Frankie fight now then? I've said a few times but I'd love to see Edgar vs Faber. Fuck it. Mendes and Swanson are ahead of Frankie in the 145 title picture anyway. Barao and Assuncao are ahead of Faber at 135. Why not do Edgar vs Faber now?

If not, Edgar vs Swanson would be an amazing fight. Very slim chance Edgar steps in for UFC 176 against Mendes? Or do we get Mendes vs Swanson? Or does Aldo vs Mendes 2 just get pushed back a little bit? 145 is wide open.

I fast-fowarded the 3rd round as soon as it became obvious Edgar was on the verge of a stoppage. BJ is done, and has been for a long time. He looked like a shell of himself last night, like he really did not want to be there. He looked a bit like he did when entered the cage for the 2nd fight.

Hope he goes on to have a fun life. He said in an interview he is quite a simple person due to his background, so hopefully he will find the transition easier than most.

I still maintain that Penn from 2008-2009 was the best Lightweight to ever draw breath, and head to head would beat Aldo, Barao or Gomi at their best.

• Paid Members

Yeah, and he did beat Gomi when Gomi was close to his best. Absolutely savaged him. That fight is actually overlooked when people discuss Penn's best performances. Probably because it didn't happen in the UFC so its less well known. But it was a scarily vicious performance.

tumblr_m5qwiy4JCv1ry1rm7o1_r1_400.gif

Sayonara.

Old Luke Thomas quote on BJ Penn;

"BJ Penn, I think that blood licking after he beat people was not an act. When people try to copy it and stuff it's so lame. That dude was just a born warrior. He never went too overboard with it, but he fought with a degree of...he was a little bit merciless. And I don't mean that in a quaint way. He was like a little bit like a murderer in there. There was a touch...that's what I love about BJ Penn...there was a touch of murderer in him. Not a full-on, crazy psychopath. But a little bit. A little bit. A restrained way. A way in which he could channel it through his amazing technique. I'm sure this is not the most family friendly way to describe it but, in that cage man, there was a little bit of murderer in him. And I really love that about him. As crazy as that sounds."

Indeed, Gomi got tooled.

BJ had a patchy career, but when at optimum performance and dialed in, he was one of the greatest and most skillful MMA fighters of all time. The way in which he tooled Matt Hughes in 2004, and ended Sean Sherk's run in 2008 was awe-inspiring. Could have been more, but showed us what he could do enough to go down in history.

Wish he would have passed the torch to Pettis at some stage though.

• Paid Members

I'm pleased this got spoiled for me this morning. At least watching it later I knew it was some grim stuff. I suppose given the way the other fights went we all shouldn't have expected anything less. Edgar clearly has a style Penn will never deal with.

At least Penn knows now that he's done. You wonder how longer his career would have lasted if he consistently looked after himself, instead of the way he seemed to slack off sometimes.

Archived