Dragon Gate 2014 UK Tour 25th & 26th July : Both DVDs released&#33

Mark Sloan

Just landed at home. What a weekend! Tozawa/Ricochet was such a fitting way to finish 2 brilliant nights. With Marty now gone who would you like to see come in? I expect/hope Lion Kid to be gone also on the next tour. Time for some new blood.

Only downside from the weekend was that we arrived just in time for the 1st match Friday and there was no one around to point us to are seats, seemed they had been taken aswel.

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My girlfriend and I went to the show last night in Broxbourne... Here's some quick thoughts...

Martin Kirby vs Wild Boar - I had never seen either of these two perform. I am not a typical 'British Wrestling' event attender and as such I knew the name of Kirby but had never heard of Wild Boar. From the opening moments of the match it looked promising. A nasty shoulder tackle/spear into the corner by Boar got the match off to a good start but the match ever took off. The strikes in particular looked flimsy and the 'story' of the match never got going. I think part of this was Wild Boar's believability. For me (and the girlfriend) we didn't view him as some beast that would run through people. I don't quite know a lot of the UK scene guys nowadays but I would have put another 'monster' British guy on the card against Kirby if anyone. 

Swann vs Lion Kid vs Osprey vs Uhaa Nation - When Haskins and Scurll had their bust up I was a little disappointed. The idea of the three way tag seemed appealing and my assumption was that we would get a stand tag instead. The four way, one fall match was a great addition to the card and one that (in hindsight) was probably for the betterment of the show. Despite his efforts (and he clearly has made huge strides) Lion Kid doesn't get the credit he probably deserves. Parts of my section boo'd him whilst others made mocking comments. I for one don't mind him but he is very take him or leave him. That said the crowd loved the 'Rawr' thing that he does and played along with it. I loved the entrances of Swann and Uhaa Nation; the British really do stupid chants so well and the multiple variations of songs ('Uhaa just a little bit') were lively and well received by all performers. Uhaa and Swann in particular looked like they were having a blast out there and that made me as a fan enjoy it even more. The match was lively and bought the crowd up following the bonus match. This was your standard Dragongate flying affair. I loved the Uhaa dominance, Osprey and Lion Kid dives and Swanns quirky showmanship. Kid has come on leaps and bounds as a performer and his win was somewhat surprising as I expected Uhaa to pick up the win here. 

BxB Hulk vs Yoshino - This match started slow. Technical wrestling gave way to move energetic and 'stiff' moves. A slightly botched flip kick thing from Hulk looked particularly painful but he hit the second attempt with the grace I have seen him display on previous shows. Stiff kicks to the back of the head as well as a knee to the face looked particularly beautiful to watch and my girlfriend was grimacing through this one. Some smooth submission moves combined with aerial tactics from both men really made this one to watch but not the 'great' match that others have said (IMO).

Cima vs Doi - I liked this... There was some wonderful technical chain sequences at the start of this match and this continued throughout. There was a sense of purpose with the storytelling with Cima taking punishment to his left leg. That said at times Cima seemed to 'forget' the leg injury though would go back to it periodically. It would have been nice to see Cima struggle to run on the leg but this isn't the easiest thing to pull of at the best of times. One thing I noticed was Cima using a near identical move from one of the previous matches; a submission hold on the head and arm. I was surprised at the similarity of the hold given it seemed to be a key focus of a previous match. I loved the selling of Doi; visually and the noises he was making were believable. 

Mark Haskins vs Marty Scurll - If you had asked me whether I wanted to see an all British match on a DGUK card I would have told you the idea would have put me off. British wrestling has some amazing talent but I don't buy DGUK tickets to see British guys wrestling each other. This match has changed my opinion. Haskins staring out 'Party' Marty as Scurll made his entrance gave this match great intensity. Both played their characters to the letter nd for someone who has never seen Haskins as a face it was a definite change. The action was fast paced and vicious from the get go; steel chairs, vicious strikes and a perfect story really made this match. It was the first match on the card that I really wanted the heel to lose and Haskins played the face to Marty's heel with style and class. At every turn Scurll thwarted the attempts of Haskins to take advantage, on one occasion reversing Haskins into a steel chair in the centre of the ring. The chair added to the dynamic of the match instead of subtracting from the action. The crowd were on form here... the chants of 'at least he got a contract' (at Scurll, referencing Haskins achievements compared to Marty's) were painful yet sweet at the same time. It was a credit to Scurll for being such the heel that at no point did I feel sorry for him! Great little match and one of the nights surprises for me. Well worth watching. 

Yamato vs Yokosuka II - I was at the previous event 'Yokosuka vs Yamato I' so was incredibly hyped for this match as it was the match of the previous event (IMO). Again chain wrestling started early but this quick descended into a war. Huge strikes, lariats and suplex (a nice little suplex war was a nice touch). The crowd interaction was top notch here with Yokosuka mimicking Yamato's pose with hand to face. This match went in a similar vein to the previous match in Broxbourne though I actually preferred the first of the pair of contests. Thats not a knock on this fine match but for me the sequel is rarely as good as the original. 

Ricochet vs Tozawa - 'Best friends' collided in this gripping match that topped off a fantastic night of wrestling in Broxbourne. The pair started off with a show of respect, Ricochet actively clapping Tozawa and showing respect. This was super heated and had a few really neat spots that enhanced Ricochet whilst giving Tozawa the eventually victory. The spot where Ricochet takes a running boot to the face only to no sell and smash Tozawa was that moment that made Ricochet better than when he went in, the guy looked invincible. There were some cool little sequences and counters that I hadn't seen before that have made me want to track down some more of their matches (if they have had many) and the show closed on a huge high. There were only a few cringeworthy moments in the main event, one of which was when Ricochet did the 'People's Moonsault' spot where he mimicked The Rock's elbow routine. 

All in all well worth the price of admission and my girlfriend once again said she would go to another DGUK event! They must be doing something right. 

Wow what a fantastic weekend!

Not a bad match all weekend, BxB Hulk V Yamato blew me away! For me that was match of the weekend! Tozawa as always blew the roof off the house every time, can't wait for the next tour Shingo V Tozawa got the DGUK title (if they do end up calling it the kingdom gate title I want some sort of royalties :-p )

Scurll being banished was a shocker, a fantastic match from him and Haskins.

Gotta agree with what someone said earlier, Lion Kid dosnt get the praise he deserves, great in the ring and really nice and approachable to chat too (the guy knows his ninja turtles)

The crowd was also amazing, 'at least he had a contract' directed at Scurll killed me.

Turned up at hyper Japan and could t find the ring so missed the first 2 matches. Nice to see DGUK exposed to some new crowds.

All in all a great weekend, can't wait until the next tour!

Had a great weekend with the Mrs in Broxbourne. Can't shower enough praise on the cards or the talent. While i was looking forward to seeing Swann and Ricochet teaming up, i didn't complain any at seeing both Yoshino and Tozawa pull double duty on the Friday. Great crowds both nights too which is always a bonus. Made it to Hyper Japan today where i managed to catch the first 2 matches, although the Mrs reliably tells me she chopped YAMATO during the 2nd pair of matches lol.

Some thoughts..

Match of the weekend for me was Hulk vs Yamato, with CIMA & Jimmy Susumu vs Speed Muscle a close second. Third spot has to go to YAMATO/Susumu II.

Good to see Lion Kid is ok after what looked like a nasty landing after catching the ropes doing the SSP. Was Kid working through an injury or has he recently? He didnt seem as fluid in the ring as normal is all. Great guy to talk to and puts in 110% effort every single time out. Also great with the kids if today is anything to go buy, the poor Mad Blankey boys  suffered the wrath of the kids at Hyper Japan!

I now own a pic of me with the Open the Freedom Gate strap over my shoulder. Cost me a fiver, but cool to have.

The meet and greet was well organized as normal. So props to Mark, Chris and everyone else involved.

Uhaa Nation is possibly the coolest guy in wrestling and the most over import of the moment. Really nice guy to chat to and genuinely seems to love his time over here.

Marty is so good at playing a prick. Sad to see him go, but new blood is no bad thing.

I want a Monster Express banner to go with the Mad Blankey one i own from last year.

Chant of the weekend was easily the previously mentioned "at least he got had a contract".. But runner up has to go to "this is awesome!" directed at an empty ring while Yokosuka and YAMATO were off fighting in the foyer lol.

Roll on 2015 and the crowning of the first DG:UK champion!

What an absolute belting weekend of wrestling that was, combined with yesterdays fun filled Progress show- I am absolute knackered but loved the whole weekend.

Some thoughts.

-          The production was top notch all weekend, from the lighting, to the layout of the venue to the awesome video packages, big thumbs up.

-          Uhaa Nation was the star of the weekend, a charismatic beast who can really move and wrestle to go with it. Surely the WWE will pick him up in years to come, for now though I wanna see him  on more shows over here and definitely on the DG tour next year. After a ton of speculation of a possible US indy guy for these shows it shows how good he Uhaa was when most people thought of him as the star of the weekend.

-          Loved the tag match from night one, a great match with loads of stretching and hard hitting offence, definitely Cimas best Dragongate UK performance.

-          Tozawa/Osperay was a fine opener although I think I was expecting alot more, definitely want to see Will given more of a chance on upcoming tours as there is huge potential in him.

-          Scrull/Haskins was something different on these shows and really worked, dramatic storyline match with a pleasing finish. Haskins really impressed me all weekend, Can’t say I am disappointed to see Marty go and have others have said feel Lionkid could be the one to be dropped next. Nice guy and all but he looked very sloppy the whole weekend.

-          BxB Hulk/Yamato- What is there to say about this match. Absolute fantastic, what a match, one of the best Dragongate matches thus far over here. Belter. Worth the price of admission on its own.

-          Yamato/Yokusuka was also great although I feel it was hampered being the second match and also due to it being hard to beat Hulk/Yamato from night one. Still really really good though.

-          Tozawa/Richochet was just awesome, great way to end the tour. Some real crazy stuff, including that finishing closing sequence.  Both these guys were super over and this was a pleasure to watch.

-          Already cant wait for the 2015 show, especially for Shingo/Tozawa, that could possibly be the best Dragongate UK match of all time.

So in closing, a top weekend and a huge thankyou to the roster for coming over and a huge thankyou to Mark Sloan for keep producing these Shows. Thankyou Dragongate.

Any word or rumours from the weekend what's going on with shows next year? Or is that just wishful thinking.

Purely speculation, but based on Mark asking us if we wanted a tour next year and the announcement of Tozawa/Shingo to crown the first DG:UK champion on thenext tour. I'd say a tour next year looks like a lock. But as i say, it's speculation on my part.

Any word or rumours from the weekend what's going on with shows next year? Or is that just wishful thinking.

Purely speculation, but based on Mark asking us if we wanted a tour next year and the announcement of Tozawa/Shingo to crown the first DG:UK champion on thenext tour. I'd say a tour next year looks like a lock. But as i say, it's speculation on my part.

Wow, sounds great. Just hoping for a show outside London. Had a right good time at Castleford, and would love to hit up another show.

Brilliant show as always although had a ticket to Saturday's show but couldn't make it in the end which I was gutted about but Friday was still fantastic. The Yamato BB Hulk match was one of the best matches I have ever seen and my favourite Dragon gate match overall

Brought along a mate who doesn't even watch wrestling and he said how good it all was which is a sign of the quality of the show

Also spent a fortune on merchandise!

I now own a pic of me with the Open the Freedom Gate strap over my shoulder. Cost me a fiver, but cool to have.

Send me your paypal address and I'll refund that for you. That is not on at all. We said that wouldn't happen and I can only apologize that you had to pay anything for a photo

Had a truly magnificent weekend. See below for some brief bullet pointed thoughts:

*All of the DG guys are tiny in person! I'm not huge at 5'11/85kg but I was like a giant next to all but a few of the roster.

*Production was very much 1st class.

*YAMATO vs BxB Hulk stole the entire weekend. I'll be honest and say this wasnt even a match I was especially hyped for but it just built and built and built to an incredibly satisfying crescendo. Crowd started quiet as they were following the awesome Speed Muscle vs CIMA/Susuma match but by the end the majority were on their feet and freaking out for the false finishes. YAMATO is one of the most complete wrestlers on earth right now when you take into account how credible his in ring is, his presence, look, character, timing and charisma.

*Haskins bird is a sort.

*Ricochet and Tozawa was world class and only a notch below YAMATO and BxB for me. I went in thinking "right, these 2 are best mates, the crowd adores them and they are the main event...they will deliver something special" and they did. I firmly believe there isnt a crowd on earth Tozawa couldnt get over with. I was stood ringside at the end and Tozawa was openly weeping in the post match. That man adores what he does.

*Rich Swann has the charisma of one million men

*Susumu, pound for pound, has the hardest clotheslines in the business by a margin. Terrifying impact.

*CIMA, Doi and Yoshino arent necessarily going to blow your mind with dives, head drops, brutal strikes etc but all are superb technical wrestlers. CIMA in particular I felt was great all weekend. Love his mat work.

*Lion Kid. Lets be honest. He was rubbish all weekend wasnt he? Mildly amusing gimmick, acceptable look, some kids (about 3% of audience) really like him....but come on. He looked sloppy in almost everything he did and he outright blew several spots. Not really forgivable given how short both his matches were. I dont care if he's a nice guy ,and from all accounts he is, he just is really exposed when under the spotlight on a card with some of the worlds best and he doesnt belong in my opinion.

I had a great time at my 2nd and 3rd shows (only been to Castleford show before) and will for definite be buying tickets as soon as 2015 dates come around.

*Lion Kid. Lets be honest. He was rubbish all weekend wasnt he? Mildly amusing gimmick, acceptable look, some kids (about 3% of audience) really like him....but come on. He looked sloppy in almost everything he did and he outright blew several spots. Not really forgivable given how short both his matches were. I dont care if he's a nice guy ,and from all accounts he is, he just is really exposed when under the spotlight on a card with some of the worlds best and he doesnt belong in my opinion.

Completely agree, I'd much rather see say El Ligero. Who let's be honest wouldn't look out of place in Japan. Like I said earlier id like to see some now Team UK guys on these shows. I know a lot of Wild Boar from Fight Club so he was a nice change of pace on these shows. I'd actually like to see him against Tozawa! Mark Andrews, Pete Dunne and Kris Travis would also be nice.

mark are those canvases from saturday night still available as i really liked the one where haskins is spitting the wine at bb hulk didnt get a chance to purchase it as left my wallet at home as i was in a rush that day

Yes it is, please drop me a line to mark@dragongateuk.com and i'll get it taken care of for you.

Archived