UFC 171: Hendricks vs Lawler

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

My thoughts are as per Wand's above. Although I didn't have a problem with Hendricks whining after the GSP fight simply because he was right. The outcome that the judges gave was probably right, but Hendricks put a beating on GSP the likes we have never seen. GSP out pointed him on 2 or possibly 3 rounds, Hendricks mauled GSP in 2, and possibly edged a third.

You couldn't even tell at the end of the fight that Hendricks had been in a 5 round fight. GSP's face looked like dog food. I'm guessing that was probably on Hendricks' mind too.

Hendricks simply sounds annoying though with his accent. It gets so bad sometimes you just want to tug on your own balls to distract you.

Anyway, fuck everyone else, THE MAN that is Dennis Bermudez is fighting. The guy is on a 5 fight win streak as isn't even near the title picture. Mental. He needs a big win this weekend though and if he does he gets a top 10 guy.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah Guy, you've pretty much nailed the reason Condit didn't get the title shot on this show. He lost to Hendricks last year (close fight though) and also, he's only 1-1 since his last title shot to GSP which he lost. And Lawler's 3-0 with two knockouts since his UFC return, plus he took Rory out of the title picture, who people were expecting to take over from GSP.

But I did read the other day that the UFC have apparently told Condit that he's getting the next title shot if he beats Woodley so you might get your wish soon anyway.

If you get a spare five minutes, I'd give Lawler's fight with Melvin Manhoef a gander. It should be on YouTube and it won't take you long to watch.

Hendricks simply sounds annoying though with his accent. It gets so bad sometimes you just want to tug on your own balls to distract you.

Ha. That's a big part of it. It's not even his fault but his voice is irritating as fuck. Both the accent and the high pitchiness of it. I should be more understanding of the accent being a Brummie but it is annoying.

Anyway, fuck everyone else, THE MAN that is Dennis Bermudez is fighting. The guy is on a 5 fight win streak as isn't even near the title picture. Mental. He needs a big win this weekend though and if he does he gets a top 10 guy.

He's not even making the main cards yet either. It's weird. I mean, we get to see his fights anyway so it's not like they're hiding him, but he never seems to climb any higher. He's in pretty much the same spot he was in a year ago, despite winning and always being exciting. You'd think he'd be exactly the type of fighter Dana and Joe Silva would love as well. Exciting, young, marketable, Mexican surname, ex TUFer, popular, has awesome fights. Yet he never seems to get any further up the card. He's been in the UFC since 2011 as well. Has he even made the main show of a Fight Night yet? Even on the Troops show he was on the prelims.

I think this might be the card to really reel me back into UFC in 2014. Diluted cards and the WWE Network have pulled me away a bit, but this is probably the best overall card this year, and major significance of crowning the first new WW champ in the last 6 years or whatever. The welterweight mini-tourney should be brilliant, I think GSP stepping away could ultimately be the best thing for the division, and really make it a big draw. With the losses of Anderson and Lesnar causing those division to lose some lustre, GSP's exit could do the opposite. 4 young, hungry guys (although Condit and Lawler are veterans, still very young relatively speaking), who are all exciting finishers.

A Diego Sanchez fight is always worth tuning in for. Not too high on Myles Jury, but I think the idea is to feed Diego a clear cut impressive victory after losing to Melendez and gaining the dodgy as fuck decision over Gomi. It doesn't get talked about enough because it wasn't that high profile a fight, like Thompson vs Henderson, but it was still a big robbery. Diego did little more than move forward as Gomi picked him apart... anyway, never mind, sore spot. I really like the Fireball Kid. I like watching Diego when he's on too, hopefully he'll make it a barnburner.

Lombard vs Shields. Can only hope Lombard keeps wrecking dudes at WW, he's looked like a monster so far. Shields was claiming in an interview recently that he would finish Lombard. Bitch please, Lombard has never been finished and Shields couldn't finish a dinner plate.

Nikita Krylov is another guy that has looked like a beast since dropping a weight class. Never thought I'd say this after his abortion of a debut against Soa Palelei, but I'm really looking forward to seeing him fight again.

Prelims have some good scrappers too. Ronda Rousey's second biggest fan after Wand, young Kelvin is showing some great promise. Rick Story is a tough gritty guy that can produce with the right opponent. Bermudez and Hettes, of course that'll be fireworks. Even Fight Pass has Thor, Bubba and Daniel Pineda.

On Bermudez... I think he's just a victim of sucky timing at 145. The top of that division has had a murderer's row for a while now trying to sort things out in between Aldo's injuries, with Swanson, Lamas, Poirier, Koch, and Zombie all battling about, then you had an influx of top LWs with Edgar, Siver, Stephens, now Penn and Pettis at one point. I think as we see a few contenders get knocked off, Bermudez should get a higher name next. Of those names I listed, I think Bermudez vs Jeremy Stephens would be a brilliant next fight should he get past Hettes.

• Paid Members

The only thing against Bermudez is he lacks finishes. But christ, he's the most exciting fighter for me right now, and it's by no way from a lack of trying. On top of that, I don't mean exciting like a Leonard Garcia either. He's exciting yet top class. His striking is fantastic, great wrestling, and fantastic on the ground. On top of that his athleticism is near the top of that division.

• Paid Members

I've brought this up a few times but I really hope we see Bermudez vs Conor McGregor at some point, hopefully even by the end of this year maybe. Would be a great fight, plus it serves as a bit of a litmus test for McGregor against a good wrestler, but without throwing him in with a Guida, Mendes or Edgar prematurely. Bermudez can wrestle, but he'd also go toe to toe with Conor. I think that would be a barnburner in all areas. Maybe if Bermudez wins impressively here (which isn't a gimme, Hettes has skills), and McGregor wins his return fight in Dublin, we could possibly see Bermudez vs McGregor around October/November-ish.

Although I didn't have a problem with Hendricks whining after the GSP fight simply because he was right.

He was right

But it was the way he did it. He failed to grasp that GSP won 2 rounds against him, even if GSP did not cause much damage to him. It has been posted on here beforehand, I may try and find it myself when I get home later.

• Paid Members
Although I didn't have a problem with Hendricks whining after the GSP fight simply because he was right.

He was right

But it was the way he did it. He failed to grasp that GSP won 2 rounds against him, even if GSP did not cause much damage to him. It has been posted on here beforehand, I may try and find it myself when I get home later.

The thing with that Jim is even those rounds gsp won weren't even clear rounds.

I dunno, rounds 3 and 5 I thought were pretty clear

The 3rd round was in fact very clear, GSP worked behind the jab and landed in great volume. Round 5, GSP was more the aggressor. Hendricks simply did not do enough to win that round. It was not as "clear" as round 2 and 4 which Hendricks won, but clear enough I think.

Hendricks theory that they "should maybe give him 1 round, because he is the Champion" was absurd. As 2 rounds I think GSP won pretty clean. The 3rd round I do not think there is much of a debate.

• Paid Members
Dennis Bermudez is going sideways, very strange position and despite not finishing fights, he's always in exciting fights. What gives?

As mentioned the decisions haven't helped, but also of his last three fights, 2 were split wins. So it's not like he's demonstrated he's head and shoulders above those guys.

I think with him still learning and getting better, this will come out of his game and he will begin to take the opportunities he's given to find those finishes.

As stated earlier, with a big win this weekend, he will get a top 10 guy.

• Paid Members
anyone else find it weird that Sanchez/Jury is being billed above Lombard/Shields? getting the countdown treatment and stuff.

I think you're underestimating just how boring Jake Shields is Ebb. But you're right.

Archived