UFC 171: Hendricks vs Lawler

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I think we might see Nick Diaz challenge for the title again by the end of 2014.

Hear me out.

As you say, there's no-one jumping out from the pack as Hendricks' next challenger. Lombard dominated but was pretty boring. Woodley won but it was anti-climatic. There's a Lawler rematch but probably not yet, it was close but there was no controversy that would warrant an immediate rematch. Rory is possible but still, he is coming off one win and had a bad 2013.

Diaz doesn't deserve the shot. Let's take that as read. I know he doesn't. And I'm not saying he should get the next shot. But he's just announced he's coming out of retirement and wants a fight in July.

What if they booked Diaz vs Lawler for July? Fuck, stick it as co-main under Weidman vs Machida. If Diaz beat Lawler again, he'd have 'beat the man that nearly beat the man'. I think they'd give him a title shot in late 2014. Yeah, he's in the same boat as I've put Rory. Coming off losses, bad 2013 etc. I'm not saying it should necessarily happen, but tell me you'd be surprised if it does.

Maybe Hendricks fights someone in the meantime though as well. I doubt he'd sit out waiting for Diaz vs Lawler to play out. So say do Diaz vs Lawler in July, Hendricks vs Rory or whoever in August. Then if they can, Hendricks vs Diaz on the big December show. Which is also the card targeted for Anderson Silva's return. Imagine a double header of Hendricks vs Diaz and Anderson vs Bisping or something?

Getting way, way ahead of myself. But who'd be disappointed if they booked Diaz vs Lawler now? I know I wouldn't be.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
What if they booked Diaz vs Lawler for July? Fuck, stick it as co-main under Weidman vs Machida.

Fucked up there actually. Keep forgetting Weidman vs Machida is in May, not July. Maybe stick Rousey vs Zingano and Diaz vs Lawler on the July PPV then? A Rousey/Diaz double-header could be fun.

Speaking of Ronda, she posted this to Instagram;

a147fa2cad0d11e3a3d112226e1e851a_6.jpg

70%! What the fuck?

Thought this was pretty great;

Biz5a3HCcAEb68w.jpg

Matt Grice @mattgricemma

It was great watching @MenaceBermudez instead of getting punched by him. #ufc171

What an amazing recovery Grice has made.

Getting way, way ahead of myself. But who'd be disappointed if they booked Diaz vs Lawler now? I know I wouldn't be.

I could dig that.

170lbs needs some name value, and like or not Nick Diaz is a bigger star than anyone at 170lbs. I would be intrigued by a Lawler rematch, throughout rounds 3-4 it was like Lawler and Hendricks were mimicking the style of Diaz last night!

• Paid Members
throughout rounds 3-4 it was like Lawler and Hendricks were mimicking the style of Diaz last night!

In terms of sheer volume of strikes, I'd say that's pretty much spot on. Luke Thomas retweeted this stat;

Michael Carroll @MJCflipdascript

Hendricks/Lawler combine for 308 significant strikes, a new UFC title fight record surpassing Jones/Gustafsson (244). #UFC171

It was an awesome fight. The old "in a phonebox" style at times. Neither gave an inch during most of the exchanges. Maybe not the most intelligent way to fight, but it was great to watch.

And while I'm not a Hendricks fan, I thought this tweet was really nice;

Bi252d5CUAA2sWP.jpg

Johny Hendricks @JohnyHendricks

Fathers dream, so grateful to my daughters my wife my coaches and all of you for the support I thrive on

Even the harshest Hendricks hater must begrudgingly feel a bit of happiness for him looking at that photo.

While I'm scouring twitter, check this out;

Marc Raimondi @marc_raimondi

It was just figured out in the media room that the attendance of 19,324 is the most ever the UFC in the US.

Now that doesn't tell us anything about PPV buys, overall interest in the event or any of that. But that's a great attendance, especially considering the card didn't really have any 'stars'.

I think Hendricks could actually become more of a star than many, including myself, initially expected. Not GSP level, but I think he could be somewhat of a draw. Especially if he keeps turning in amazing fights like he's had with Lawler, GSP and Condit over the last year or so. Dave Meltzer was saying he got a real superstar reaction in the arena last night as well (granted it was his backyard). And Helwani was saying on the most recent MMA Beat that the New York Times were following Hendricks around this week for something or other. Reebok are sponsoring him as well. He's got something about him. I don't find it especially likeable but who says stars have to be likeable. The likes of Lesnar and Rousey dispel that theory. Early doors for Hendricks but the initial doom and gloom about the post-GSP welterweight division might've been premature IMO. He won't be pulling in 600-900K like GSP was, but I don't see him flopping like your Edgar's and Bendo's either.

I'm just really chuffed Lawler is back in the big leagues and doing so well. One of my early favourites as a fan. And when you think about it, of his four UFC fights since returning, three have been against guys you'd not have picked for him if you were trying to do him a favour or make him look good. On paper, Koscheck, Rory and Hendricks should've shut him down. If he looked that good against them, imagine when they stick him in with a Carlos Condit or Matt Brown? There's so many great fights to make for Lawler. The Diaz rematch is top of my list though.

The main event reminded me in many ways of Don Frye vs Takayama, just two guys standing in front of each other smacking shit out of each other with not a massive amount of finesse apart from Hendricks' takedown. Speaking about Don Frye there was no prediction from him for this show, which was a shame. Sucked about Condit blowing his knee out. I can see the Welterwwight title being passed around a bit, because if Hendricks is going to keep fighting like that he's not going to keep the title for long. My favourite little fight was St Preux using the Von Flute choke, I'm really looking forward to the Gracie Breakdown of that submission.

Even the harshest Hendricks hater must begrudgingly feel a bit of happiness for him looking at that photo.

Nah ;)

I dislike Hendricks, but I recognize he is the best in the world at 170lbs at this current time. Is he more vulnerable than Aldo, Barao and other Champions? Yes, but until proven otherwise he is the Champion, and a worthy one at that.

A potential draw? Maybe in time, but for now I think his PPV's will sell like Bendo and Edgar. What is there to him, he has a beard and is hyped to have knockout power (which he does have, but no more than Lawler). It took Anderson Silva years to become a modest draw on his own merit, 4 years as Champion in fact. Hendricks on his own merit is not a fighter casuals will pay to see in droves in this climate.

If Rousey can only muster 300-400k, then Hendricks will be lucky to get 250-300k without Diaz.

Speaking of Ronda, she posted this to Instagram;

a147fa2cad0d11e3a3d112226e1e851a_6.jpg

70%! What the fuck?

Yeah, that's just a case of typical stupid Americans not understanding the question. It asks "who deserves the next title shot", not "who do you want to see get the next title shot".

A guy who's 1-2 since returning to the UFC (and who's one win was against a blown-up light/featherweight fighter), and who's not fought in a year deserves to be nowhere near the title. This is the UFC though, and we all know that title shots are given on the whim of Dana, so anything can happen.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

As for people saying Hendricks looked different, less effective or more vulnerable, it's worth remembering that styles make fights. This one was always going to be the toughest for Hendricks style-wise I think. Lawler is no chump when it comes to wrestling, being an all-state competitor which, whilst not in Hendricks league, is enough to be able to defend effectively. He's also the hardest puncher in the division next to Hendricks himself, so it was a dangerous fight style-wise for Hendricks.

The only other guy who I see bringing a somewhat similar threat to Hendricks is Woodley. He's a Missouri state champion, and national freestyle runner up. He also has heavy hands, even if he's a bit less durable than Lawler.

That fight could end up being a barn-burner on the feet, much like the Hendricks/Lawler fight, although I see Woodley being stopped in the 3rd or 4th if he doesn't have any success early with his hands.

If given the choice, I'd schedule either a Woodley/Hendricks fight, or I'd give Lawler a rematch. Outside of those two I don't see much else available in the short-term.

As for Diaz, I'd put him in there with Rory MacDonald. Let's see how eager he is to come back when he's offered that fight. If he wins that, then he can get either Lawler or Lombard. Two wins against any of those three would make him a legit contender.

Obviously he won't have to fight MacDonald though, as he'd likely be taken apart on the feet and lose a decision, resulting in more crying, stamping of feet and retirement.

Can't imagine Nick Diaz coming out of retirement for a fight with a guy he's already knocked out once

• Paid Members
Stayed up for this and I was just marking out to the fact Nikita Krylov walks out to Duane Eddy when my satellite went! Couldn’t get it sorted and as a Sky customer I can’t watch BT online so I had to retire to bed defeated. I had enjoyed the Garcia and Bermudez fights up until that point though.

Just regarding your BT login to watch online, before I cancelled my BT subscription, I was able to watch BT Sport on my PC and tablet when I watched it through Sky. You have to create an account with BT though. I think you should have done this in the registration process. But I definitely did watch it online.

Thought the main event was great and I can't help feeling Robbie Lawler missed a massive opportunity. He had Hendricks seriously on the rocks during the 3rd and that was the time to finish it. He just needed to let his hands go that little bit more.

Everything else has been discussed really.

All I wanted to say though really was, BERMUDEZ, FUCK YEAH!. I love that man and he gets the finish he needed. Top 10 man and main card for Bermudez next surely? On top of that a POTN bonus too. The guy despite not being tall, is an absolute beast at Featherweight.

His transitions and disguise are wonderful and he mixes it up so well that his opponents are just left scratching their heads.

• Paid Members

I thought Lawler let his hands go a lot in the third and fourth personally. He landed some huge shots pretty flush. That's usually enough when Lawler connects. I just put it down to Hendricks having a better chin and better survival instincts than we realised, or than he's had to show before.

Nah ;)

You're a cold hearted bastard, Jim.

Can't imagine Nick Diaz coming out of retirement for a fight with a guy he's already knocked out once

The way I look at it though, that's a fight that can fast-track him back into contention. Lawler's stock just raised even higher so there'd be more interest in it than there would've been a year ago. Diaz will fancy it style-wise. Lawler isn't the type of opponent who will "run the whole fight" or "throw baby leg kicks" or "just lay on him". Lawler will bring the fight to him like he wants.

He's held out for another title shot for a year now. He was throwing out GSP and Anderson Silva as the guys he'd come back for. This weekend he was saying he wanted the Hendricks vs Lawler winner. He's unlikely to get that so what else is there? All the big names in his weight range are either retired, injured or booked.

I don't think him having knocked out Lawler before would be an issue. He was up for the rematch if Lawler would've won. Granted, the title would've been on the line but he'd have still been coming out of retirement to fight a guy he already KO'd.

It's just a case of what else is he going to do? He said he wants to fight in the summer. If they won't give him a title shot then Lawler is the next best thing IMO. It's the biggest winnable fight available to Diaz right now. And it's a possible ticket back into the title picture. If they sell him on that, that a win over Lawler could see him fighting for the title by the end of the year, I'm sure he'd go for it.

The only thing I can see putting Diaz off would be that he only wants big fights now and he might not see Lawler as a money fight. But if it has to be done to get him a money fight then maybe he'll do it. Plus it's not like he couldn't do well off a Lawler fight. If they put him on the July 4th weekend PPV which is usually a big deal, have him on there as co-main with Lawler under a Rousey title defence. Stack the undercard up with some good stuff. He'd probably do well out of it.

Maybe it won't happen. You never know with Diaz. I was sure he'd be all over a Condit rematch when they offered it but he wasn't arsed. But I'd love to see it. I think it'd be an even better fight now. And the first was nearly exactly 10 years ago. It'd be pretty cool to see the rematch after all this time.

Guy Bifkin

Going forward for the Welterweight title picture I like David

Since coming into the UFC Tyron Woodley is sitting with a 3-1 record, with 2 wins on the bounce. Lombard is 3-2 with 2 wins on the bounce, and MacDonald is 4-1 since 2012.

All of those guys have to figure into the title picture before Diaz does, surely? If he wants a crack at a title he really should have to go through at least one of them plus Lawler.

He's 1-2 since he came back into the UFC, and he's been gone a year. He can't just sit out for a year after dropping two on the bounce and expect to come back in and immediately feature in the title picture.

In fact, here's what he had to say;

When asked by Sportsnet's Showdown Joe what exactly he was doing in Dallas, Diaz seems to think the UFC is just setting the stage for his eventual title clash with Hendricks.

"Maybe [uFC] want me to fight Johny Hendricks. Take an a** whooping. Right to your face, bro. Worse than tonight, because you got your a** whooped all four rounds. I seen it. I seen your little amateur style. I'm ready to fight. I'm ready to fight the right fight.

"Trying to get a fight this year. Talked to Dana [White], hardly, but he knows my mindset. He knows where I'm at. Behind the scenes here [in Dallas] everyone knows what's going on. That's what's up. Me in a title fight. I need a real fight. Let the fans have what they want to see. That's why I'm here.

Claiming he isn't the least bit interested in the bevy of other welterweight contenders, Diaz is pretty clear about his focus on Hendricks.

"Everybody's going to make more money. Fans get to see what they want to see. You want to see people get tapped out or knocked out? You want to see a real fight? You want to see drama queens act drama? Want to see real motherf***ers act real?

"[Hendricks] should never have opened his mouth around me. We don't have no beef, though. I like Johny. I think he's a nice guy, but he tried to get loud with me, I get loud with him back. It's all business. It's a good fight."

Diaz hasn't actually scored a win since his 2011 drubbing of B.J. Penn at UFC 137, but that didn't stop him from being awarded a title shot against former welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre last March at UFC 158. Diaz is also said to have turned down a rematch with Carlos Condit, the man who beat him out for the division's interim title at UFC 143. 0-2 since 2011, it would seem fairly unlikely Diaz would be given another shot at the title without putting together a few solid performances.

He's a retard.

Give Diaz his title shot, in case you didn't know "That's what's up"

The show was pretty decent overall, I enjoyed the main event, agreed with the decision too. Shame about the injury to Condit, looked like it was really just about to shape up into a really good fight.

• Paid Members

David - I know all that and I completely agree. He's coming off a chance at the interim title, which he lost, followed by a shot at the proper belt, which he lost in dominant fashion. He absolutely doesn't deserve to jump the queue over the likes of Woodley, Lombard, Rory etc. Even Condit shouldn't drop too far from the mix, I don't think.

But does that mean I can't see the UFC trying to stick Diaz right back in another title fight with one win? I wouldn't be at all surprised. So yeah, I'm not saying it should happen but I won't be shocked if it does.

They'll spin it however they need to to make the fights which generate the most coin. And Diaz will do that. It's not the right thing, but it's a possibility. And really, it wouldn't do Hendricks any harm to beat a big name like Diaz either. I'm sure Hendricks would like to fight the rightful next top contender, but I'm also sure he'd love Nick Diaz's name on his resume plus the payday and increased exposure that comes along with it.

• Paid Members

The UFC are trapped into doing what's right and what's right for business. The simple fact is Diaz equals big money, and with the UFC's stars all dwindling away, does the UFC become desperate enough to give Diaz what he wants? Who knows, but personally, I say give him a top contender and if he wins, give him a title shot.

I actually think Diaz has a great shot against the Hendricks we saw Saturday night.

I wanted to actually talk about Hector Lombard's performance. Granted he gassed in the last two rounds, but I personally think his performance, given his opponent, was outstanding.

Now, when I say outstanding, I still believe he could and should have finished Jake Shields, but that first round Shields was absolutely destroyed. Shields has his critics, but rarely has been mauled like that. Lombard's takedown defence at this weight is impeccable and his throws were simply top class.

Despite blowing his gas tank in round 1, he still controlled Shields unlike anyone has ever done in rounds 2 and 3, and part of Lombard's lack of attack on the ground was probably out of respect for what Shields could do on the there.

It really is a shame that Lombard is getting grief from certain quarters when he utterly dominated a top class welterweight like Jake Shields.

Archived