UFC 167: St Pierre vs Hendricks

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

There does appear to be something in the argument that there is a big difference between MMA wrestling and amateur wrestling. I'm guessing the fact that fists are thrown along with all the other aspects of MMA changes the dynamics of wrestling within an MMA cage?

I remember a while ago someone believing Sonnen was the best MMA wrestler in the UFC but this was before Cormier was signed.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah, GSP and Jon Jones have to be up there as well in terms of wrestling for MMA. They both gel their wrestling seamlessly with their striking and BJJ. Cain Velasquez has fantastic MMA wrestling as well.

On a wrestling mat, I think Phil Davis and Josh Koscheck would give most guys their respective divisions nightmares. But throw strikes into the mix and yeah, it's a different ball game. Especially when you have to factor in that you could be diving into a big knee when you shoot a double leg on someone in MMA, which obviously you don't have to worry about in wrestling.

The new UFC 167 commercial spot proved to be dangerous endeavor for one of its subjects.

While filming the commercial last month in Los Angeles, Johny Hendricks suffered a second-degree burn on his back because the lights used to film the spot were placed too close to him, his manager Ted Ehrhardt confirmed with MMAFighting.com

Ehrhardt said Hendricks tried to resume his training two days later, however, the burn was bothering him too much so he went to a doctor who prescribed an ointment to help heal it. Ehrhardt said Hendricks, who wasn't available to speak about the incident, missed one-to-two days of training, and the injury healed in a week.

"Johny never gets pissed off about anything," Ehrhardt said. "He was just mad that it was messing up his training, that's all."

A photo of the injury, courtesy of Ehrhardt, can be seen below.

T9HQwDo.jpg

That looks sore as fuck man!

• Paid Members
Yeah, GSP and Jon Jones have to be up there as well in terms of wrestling for MMA. They both gel their wrestling seamlessly with their striking and BJJ. Cain Velasquez has fantastic MMA wrestling as well.

On a wrestling mat, I think Phil Davis and Josh Koscheck would give most guys their respective divisions nightmares. But throw strikes into the mix and yeah, it's a different ball game. Especially when you have to factor in that you could be diving into a big knee when you shoot a double leg on someone in MMA, which obviously you don't have to worry about in wrestling.

of the all the guys to translate their amateur wrestling game to MMA, Ben Askren has to be the best. His wrestling style is unique as it is, but its just so effective. I may be in the minority but i really wanna see Asken/GSP.

• Paid Members

Evans/Sonnen is a weird fight, with Sonnen already tied up with Wanderlei it almost seems irrelevant. It feels like one of those Rich Franklin fights a few years ago where he was fighting guys in high profile slots just to add his name value to a show.

• Paid Members
Evans/Sonnen is a weird fight, with Sonnen already tied up with Wanderlei it almost seems irrelevant. It feels like one of those Rich Franklin fights a few years ago where he was fighting guys in high profile slots just to add his name value to a show.

I can sort of see where you're coming from Ebb, but that fight is far from irrelevant. For me, despite both not being near the sack, a win is absolutely huge for both.

For Rashad, if he loses this, then for me that's it for his credentials to working his way back to a title shot. A win for Sonnen would for me be the biggest win of his career and if he goes down to MW and beats Wanderlei, personally, he would be worthy of another title shot after a 3 win streak against Shogun, Evans and Silva.

As I've mentioned in the past, I am a little gutted these have been paired together with both of them being two of my favourite fighters, but as they both say, it's competition in the end.

In my opinion, Rashad has so much more to lose with this fight which may play into Sonnen's hands?

Episode 1 of Primetime with GSP and Hendricks..

Half way through and so far it's a very good watch

http://uk.ufc.com/media/UFC-Primetime--St-...cks---Episode-1

On top of that, Chael and Rashad discuss their fight on UFC Tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3OcaM-uuqE...eature=youtu.be

That episode of primetime is on BT tonight aswell

I know it has been put forward that GSP is not the same fighter as he was in 2009, but how does Hendricks really offer anything more than the 2009 beast that was Thiago Alves.

Alves was a more diverse striker, had just as much power, and stopped takedowns from a younger version of Josh Koscheck than the one who arguably out-grappled Hendricks.

Its hard to think back because Alves has been so inconsistent and peaked early, but Alves in 2009 was for me a more complete and technical fighter than Hendricks is now. If you watch the Alves fight, GSP was able to land jabs and keep Alves striking weapons at bay, he made him look limited. I just think such a limited striker like Hendricks will get picked off by GSP. I have also seen nothing to suggest that GSP will not score takedowns or at least clinch with Hendricks throughout the fight.

Hendricks is one of the biggest hype jobs off the last few years in my view, other guys punching above their weight like Diaz with GSP, and Sonnen with Jones were commonly known. Hendricks has genuine experts given his a chance, I do not see it at all.

I believe if Condit used his movement more with Hendricks, or the fight would have been 5 rounds, then Condit would have beaten Hendricks on the cards. Condit usually gives rounds away against wrestlers/grapplers when he really should not, its only wrestlers and grapplers that distort his gameplan. Rick Story beat Hendricks, and Josh Koscheck I think should have gotten the nod. When faced with another grappler it is not like Hendricks has been laser blasting opponents like his hype machine makes out.

I am on team GSP all the way.

• Paid Members

Whilst I'm not saying your outcome prediction is wrong Jim, I personally think hendricks is a different beast to Alves. Whilst Alves was vicious at the time, I don't believe he possessed that devastating one punch KO that Hendricks possesses. On top of that, Alves in his previous fights did possess great takedown defence as you say, but the fact is Alves was taken down with complete ease at UFC 100 by GSP.

Now, obviously I can't say for sure that Hendricks won't be taken down, as GSP has amazing MMA wrestling, but Alves certainly didn't/doesn't possess the wrestling pedigree of Hendricks. If you look back at GSP's fights, he aims for his opponents weaknesses. Eg, Jake Shields, he kept that on the feet, and the same with Kosheck.

It makes you wonder, what will GSP's gameplan be for Hendricks? Will he risk standing with him to potentially face that bomb of a punch? Will he attempt to take Hendricks down and if so, will he be able to do it?

• Paid Members
i expect GSP will react to how how Hendricks comes out, i mentioned before that i think Hendrick's may come out a little more wrestling based and try to ruffle GSP by putting him on his back.

I agree, although I think Hendricks will vary his styles together. Hendricks was bascially saying to his Nascar buddies during the primetime ep that he wants to stand and bang, but I personally think this may be a ploy by Hendricks. Whilst it will be in his gameplan, I believe he's trying to play down his wrestling base in order for GSP to drop his takedown defence guard.

I think this is potentially an extraordinary fight and it's such a shame it's not getting the mega hype billing it truly deserves.

I know it has been put forward that GSP is not the same fighter as he was in 2009, but how does Hendricks really offer anything more than the 2009 beast that was Thiago Alves.

Alves was a more diverse striker, had just as much power, and stopped takedowns from a younger version of Josh Koscheck than the one who arguably out-grappled Hendricks.

I'm not entirely sure how to say this, but Hendricks just seems to be mentally stronger than Alves. He seems to be cut more from the Dan Henderson mould as far as mentality goes I reckon, which is a powerful tool.

• Paid Members

I'm not entirely sure how to say this, but Hendricks just seems to be mentally stronger than Alves. He seems to be cut more from the Dan Henderson mould as far as mentality goes I reckon, which is a powerful tool.

Pretty much exactly what came after that part is exactly how you should and did say it. You're spot on there.

Archived