The NBA Discussion Thread

Art Vandelay

Real breakout performance from Blake Griffin last night; time to hit the panic button in Brooklyn too?

Without being smug, I knew this would happen in Brooklyn. I even called it on the eve of the new season. I just couldn't see those pieces fitting together. Paul Pierce should have been allowed to finish his career as a Celtic. I'm surprised KG didn't retire after he didn't get reunited with Doc Rivers too. Deron Williams is the most overrated star in the league, he hasn't been worth his salary since he became a Net. He shows flashes of the brilliance he had in Utah, but meh, there's too many individuals in there. You've Joe Johnson lost in the shuffle there too, he's a former all-star, he doesn't do much in Brooklyn and then they expect him to to take the final shot every game when he's not a regular part of the offense? Crazy. You can't pin the blame on J Kidd either, it's the owners that have assembled this roster. The good news is that we're still so early in this season. In recent years we've seen the Knicks and Celtics both have horrible first half of seasons and then after the All-Star break they've turned it on and made the play-offs. They've got some valuable pieces too. If their going to run the organisation around D-Will, I'd probably trade Joe Johnson and see if you can get a decent starter and a bench player in return, or even a draft pick. Problem is, Brooklyn want to win NOW.

Real breakout performance from Blake Griffin last night; time to hit the panic button in Brooklyn too?

Without being smug, I knew this would happen in Brooklyn. I even called it on the eve of the new season. I just couldn't see those pieces fitting together. Paul Pierce should have been allowed to finish his career as a Celtic. I'm surprised KG didn't retire after he didn't get reunited with Doc Rivers too. Deron Williams is the most overrated star in the league, he hasn't been worth his salary since he became a Net. He shows flashes of the brilliance he had in Utah, but meh, there's too many individuals in there. You've Joe Johnson lost in the shuffle there too, he's a former all-star, he doesn't do much in Brooklyn and then they expect him to to take the final shot every game when he's not a regular part of the offense? Crazy. You can't pin the blame on J Kidd either, it's the owners that have assembled this roster. The good news is that we're still so early in this season. In recent years we've seen the Knicks and Celtics both have horrible first half of seasons and then after the All-Star break they've turned it on and made the play-offs. They've got some valuable pieces too. If their going to run the organisation around D-Will, I'd probably trade Joe Johnson and see if you can get a decent starter and a bench player in return, or even a draft pick. Problem is, Brooklyn want to win NOW.

Agreed. For me, Joe Johnson is the best thing about the team right now and has been since last season when they moved to the Barclays Center. When they announced that KG, Pierce etc were heading to Brooklyn, I wondered how well it would work out, considering the age of the ex-Celtics. I do wonder if the team will pick up nearer the playoffs though, as KG, Pierce are known for being late starters in NBA seasons, as you said. It's not looking good for either NY team right now but hopefully things pick up. I was hanging my head the other day watching the Knicks woeful performance against Atlanta. Just terrible. Calls for Woodson to be fired from the crowd too, never a good sign! Latest rumours are that they're trying to shop Amar'e, Felton and Shumpert to Boston in exchange for Rondo. Thoughts on that?

I saw that trade rumour earlier on NBA TV regarding Rondo. I have to agree with Brent Barry. Rondo would at the Knicks would almost certainly spell the end of Melo at the end of the season. They both need the ball in their hands too much to co-exist on a team together. On paper it looks like a dream trade, but I don't think it would work. I'm sure if Amar'e was given a chance to start regularly again he could still put up 18 ppg. The Celtics don't really need Shump, they've got a carbon copy player in Avery Bradley. Felton is a perfectly respectable PG, but he's not going to pull up any trees with his output. I don't see it happening. I saw the Kings were interested, but unless the Celtics get Cousins in return, they've got literally zero other trade prospects. I know the Celtics have looked at Cousins in the past, I think he'd be a great fit for them. Under the right coach, Cousins being discliplined properly and applying himself properly all season long he could be a top 3 Centre in the entire league. If I'm Boston, I'd hold out for either Cousins or LaMarcus Aldridge. Then hope to the lottery gods that they get the number 1 pick.

NBA Live 14 review

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/11/19/nba-live-14-review

Considering IGN are usually over generous, and gave average games a 7.5, they must have really hated this. 2k14 got a good review though.

I read that. Folk who have received the game early have been live streaming it via their PS4's and from watching a few streams, it didn't look good at all. No wonder they didn't show any real gameplay prior to release.

Roll on next Friday and 2K14 next gen! Anyone else getting it?

Yeah, I'm getting the digital download upgrade from current gen for 11 quid. I can't wait. Although they seem to have stripped away quite a few modes, there's more than enough there to keep me happy till 2K15.

Sad news about Live. It looks horrible. Absolute waste of the ESPN license too. It looks and sounds like a PS2 game.

After me laughing, the Knicks actually put up a great fight against the Pacers, even leading at the half. The game was close until the end of regulation and it actually looked like NY had the game in the bag, until Paul George was fouled and awarded 3 free throws. Really bad move by Shumpert to foul at the end of Q4 but it was still a bad call that resulted in OT and cost the Knicks the W. Thoughts?: https://t.co/U0Uig9rLDF

The Mavs beat the Rockets in another super-close game, which felt like a playoff atmosphere. 123-120, jokes now going around Twitter that Dwight is being beaten by every team that he rejected during the summer. :laugh:

Memphis comes up big against the Warriors in a typical grit-and-grind win that you'd expect from the Grizz. Warriors looked good, even without Curry, but just came up short.

Finally, Brooklyn lose to the Bobcats. Oh dear...what the hell is happening in New York?

Bumping this again. Derrick Rose, Andre Igoudala and Mark Gasol all injured last night. Not looking good for Rose, MRI today to confirm but many fearing a torn ACL. If that's the case, you have to question if he'll be the same again.

:(

It's the other knee, which in a way is good news. But it's terrible news for the league. The Heat have probably just been given a free run to the finals again. Unless the Pacers can keep up their form. I just hope Rose doesn't end up like Penny Hardaway, never being able to trust his body again to let his talent flourish again. Bad news.

Kobe signs a cool $48.5 million deal to stay with the Lakers for another two years, probably until retirement: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/nov/...-deal-la-lakers

It's also confirmed that Derrick Rose will be out for the rest of the season.

Brooklyn Nets fall to a grim 3-10 after losing to the Pistons. Knicks will join them if they lose to the Blazers tonight...

In terms of the league being of a high standard, it's been a disastrous start to the season for league officials and David Stern's last few months. A lot of poor teams are picking up wins early and the two New York teams are rotting. I still expect a lot of that to change. What is hurting the league more is top players going down with injuries. I'm an advocate for a shorter season, well lighter schedule with 50 odd games spread from Nov-Apr being more than enough. It's killing some of the players out there. You only have to look to see that two of the top 5 point guards in the league are both out injured. (Rose and Rondo) as well as Kobe and Westbrook is easing his way back. It seems some of the franchises are starting to understand it, they're giving stars the rest they need. From a spectators point of view it's no-win.

Anyway, most people Stateside are going with the Pacers or Spurs at this stage. It's still too early to tell but my prediction of the Bulls winning the East has gone right out of the window. I doubt he'll ever be the same again this time. Such a shame. People are probably sleeping on the Thunder too, a lot of people got them down as 3rd or 4th seed. I think they'll top the West.