UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs Arlovski - May 8th

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is a Fight Night to get excited about because it’s the prototype of what a Fight Night card should be. The main event is a fight between two top contenders in their weight class (Souza/Mousasi) with the winner getting a title fight. You’ve got a co-main event that should be an entertaining slugfest and one fighter (Overeem) likely puts themselves in line for a title fight if they win. Beneath that you’ve got a rising name in the Heavyweight division (Derrick Lewis) who has the potential to deliver a big finish, which he’ll get bonus points for doing because he’d be KO’ing a complete tool (Matt Mitrione). The rest of the main card should provide some great action fights, and the preliminary fights feature guys who are either on the rise or fighting for their jobs, which gives the fights some extra meaning. This is a card to look forward to watching. 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

late getting party again (this is becoming a habit) when talking about the weekend, few points:

* it was really strange seeing just how much damage Bisping was doing to Cung Le despite not landing massive shots, Cung was all kinds of fucked up and showed some balls to stay in there, Cung is one tough muthafucker. Going forward i'd like to see him get one more fight in California, line-up a winnable fight and let him go out in front of his hometown.

* Stun Gun basically committed suicide against Tyron Woodley. Perfect example of a guy being a victim of his own success. He's been doing well just stameding forward and imposing his will but to do that against a guy who hits as hard as Tyron Woodley, especially early is just foolish. BOINK.

* Royston Wee.

in America...

* Dos Anjos (i aint calling him RDA) look awesome, sharp as a tack and did something no other top contender has been able to do (tko Benson), i thought the stoppage was a tad early but it was likely on it's way to ending anyway. Dos Anjos has one of the slowest rises to prominence in the promotion's history but it's nice to finally see him get his due.

As for Benson, im one of his few fans on here and to rip him on his antics after the fight is a little harsh in my opinion. Guys are going on instinct in there, Benson's not the first and certainly won't be the last guys to jump and show he wasn't hurt after being stopped. What do you want him to do? stay down and sell the stoppage? :duh: as for his little cage habits like playing with hair, checking his feet etc. i love that stuff, im pretty sure it's swayed decisions his way in the past as well, it's very clever.

* Thales Leites in kill mode! Always liked Thales and it's cool to see him erasing the Anderson Silva farce from memories, if Leites had never come back that's all he'd be remembered for, now he's crushing fools and looking better than ever. Is that the end of Carmont?

* Clay Collard! it's kind of weird how in a time when there's so many fights a guy like Collard can come in and make more of an impression with fans in a losing performance than some guys make off the back of good win streaks (see Neil Magny). Fitting that Max Holloway was the opponent when he was in a similar situation a few years back when he fought Dustin Poirier when he debuted.

* Ben Saunders looking great too! If you go back through the Bellator thread you'll see me praising Saunders for being super dangerous off his back, he's a tough out for anyone (unless your name is Douglas Lima). Saunders is a must-see fighter win or lose, nice to see him back.

main card wise it was an excellent little show.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

This Jacare vs Mousasi card is tomorrow! It's snuck up fast. Little bit surprised there's not one vote for Mousasi yet. Anyone here fancy him to win?

I haven't watched it yet but there's a Countdown for this as well;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=_e1hC0SrDbI

Hopefully we'll see more Countdowns for certain Fight Nights in the future. I thought the Dublin one was a one-off so it's nice to see them doing one for this as well.

• Paid Members

yep, despite being a far superior looking show to 177, it has slipped under the rader.

UFC 177 got me excited again for some reason? dunno if it was a case of MMA triumphing against the odds or what but ive been feeling a buzz about this and Bellator all week.

As for Jacare, its just hard to bet agaisnt him at the moment, homeboy is wrecking folk...but saying that, nobody wrecks Mousasi so who knows? still im going for Jacare.

• Paid Members

Yeah I don't really get that. It's the same fights, airing on the same channel, at the same time anyway.

Here's the card now;

FOX SPORTS 1 MAIN CARD

Jacare Souza vs Gegard Mousasi

Alistair Overeem vs Ben Rothwell

Matt Mitrione vs Derrick Lewis

Joe Lauzon vs Michael Chiesa

FOX SPORTS 1 PRELIMS

Charles Oliveira vs Nik Lentz

John Moraga vs Justin Scoggins

Al Iaquinta vs Rodrigo Damm

Rafael Natal vs Chris Camozzi

Chris Beal vs Tateki Matsuda

Sean Soriano vs Chas Skelly

I am genuinely looking forward to almost every single fight there, for one reason or another. The four main card fights are all great-really good. The Oliveira-Lentz rematch should be excellent, Moraga-Scoggins and Iaquinta-Damm could be sleepers. I liked Beal on TUF and what I've seen since. Even interested in the Skelly fight after his impressive comeback recently.

It's a slightly earlier start as well, I think. I'll most likely end up staying up for this.

• Paid Members

I've picked Overeem in the poll, but man, who the fuck knows?

His up and down UFC run has meant my confidence is shot picking him now. I think Overeem should definitely win but I'm seriously about 60-40 on this. When on pure skills, I should be more like 90-10.

I hope Overeem wins. I don't really like him but him losing to Rothwell does nothing good for the division. Overeem vs JDS and Cain are about the only big and fresh fights on the heavyweight horizon right now.

I've picked Overeem in the poll, but man, who the fuck knows?

His up and down UFC run has meant my confidence is shot picking him now. I think Overeem should definitely win but I'm seriously about 60-40 on this. When on pure skills, I should be more like 90-10.

Pretty much my opinion

I want Overeem to win though, far much more upside than Rothwell.

Archived