UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs Arlovski - May 8th

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah. And believe it or not tomorrow's Fight Night was originally going to have a rematch of that fight. It was going to be Jim Miller vs Khabib Nurmagomedov in the main event, and Diaz vs Cerrone 2 as co-main event. Khabib wanted time off for Ramadan so they switched it up. Then again, Nate probably would've turned the Cerrone fight down, so it wouldn't have happened anyway.

Who's everyone picking in Cerrone vs Miller? I fancy Miller to win myself. Probably on points. I just think he's tougher, he's the better wrestler, I'd say he's got the stronger submission game as well. Cerrone's the better striker but he has a tendency to go into his shell if things are getting rough for him. Although the Barboza fight was an exception. I've also got a feeling Miller will hold up better physically and mentally over a long gruelling five round fight if it goes that long.

It's funny, on here the poll is 9-6 to Miller at the minute. But it seems like nearly everywhere else I'm reading, people are acting like a Cerrone win is a foregone conclusion. Even if Cerrone does win this it's not going to be easy at all. I've seen people predicting Cerrone to basically walk through Miller and smash him. I don't get it.

Miller on points for me. Wouldn't rule out him catching Cerrone in a sub either though. I don't think Cerrone has fought anyone with the kind of crafty grappling game or Miller has. He's tapped better BJJ artists than Cerrone, and quick. I don't like Cerrone's chances on the ground, and I don't think he's likely to win the points game. A KO might be his only shot. Could happen but it's not like Miller's chinny either.

• Paid Members

it's a potential fight of the year contender for sure. Cowboy on the feet is probably gonna give Miller hell given the range so i expect Miller to try and grind it out, i expect some wild exchanges and scrambles though, i'll take Miller via decision or a late submission.

• Paid Members

John Lineker made weight!!!

FOX SPORTS 1 MAIN CARD:

Donald Cerrone (155) vs. Jim Miller (154.5)

Edson Barboza (155) vs. Evan Dunham (155.5)

Rick Story (170) vs. Leonardo Mafra (165.5)

Justin Salas (155) vs. Joe Proctor (155)

John Lineker (125.5) vs. Alptekin Ozkilic (125.5)

Lucas Martins (145) vs Alex White (146)

FOX SPORTS 1 PRELIMS:

Pat Healy (155) vs. Gleison Tibau (155.5)

Jessamyn Duke (135.5) vs. Leslie Smith (135)

Aljamain Sterling (136) vs. Hugo Viana (136)

Yosdenis Cedeno (156) vs. Jerrod Sanders (155)

FIGHT PASS PRELIMS:

Claudia Gadelha (116) vs. Tina Lahdemaki (115)

Cerrone-Miller.0_standard_352.0.jpg

This going to be some fight. It's kind of being overshadowed by the Conor McGregor machine this week but as far as being an awesome fight goes this could well be the best fight of the two shows. And with how these two usually fight, the potential is there for it being a FOTY type thing. Really looking forward to it.

It's a solid show all-round really. Barboza vs Dunham could be a hell of a scrap. Lineker is always fun to watch. Story is usually in good fights. Aljamain Sterling is another Serra-Longo project. Gadelha vs Lahdemaki is the first ever UFC Strawweight fight. Looks a good show.

• Paid Members

ohhh didn't realise Aljamain Sterling was on the prelims, that's reason to make me tune in (though i was going to anyway for Tibau/Healy - how the fuck is that a Fight Pass prelim?)

Nice one Linekar! Coming off a loss too, dude must be motivated!

Just looked up Rick Story's opponent and he's got 11 wins with 8 KO's, so that may be a crazy kind of fight as well. Dunham/Barboza!

this is a quality little card.

It's funny, on here the poll is 9-6 to Miller at the minute. But it seems like nearly everywhere else I'm reading, people are acting like a Cerrone win is a foregone conclusion. Even if Cerrone does win this it's not going to be easy at all. I've seen people predicting Cerrone to basically walk through Miller and smash him. I don't get it.

Cerrone is a bit flashier, a bit more talkative and has a cool cowboy hat, that's why.

I think they're fairly even. Both durable, violent guys. I'd say Cerrone has the edge in having more of a killer instinct, but Miller's really stepped it up lately, going from a guy who grinds and beats people up for 3 rounds, to catching quick submissions in the first two fights in a row. He's always had good BJJ (he finished Melvin Guillard and Charles Oliveira early too), but it seems after a series of FOTN wars, he's trying to conserve his body now, his focus just seems different now and he seems to be upping his ground game. Which means he could neutralise the striking of Cerrone, but Cerrone's no slouch on the mat either. Damn, this'll be good!

But I'm picking Cerrone. Because cowboy hat. And I like his crazy, fight anyone attitude.

Looking at Cerrone's record it's pretty clear he's only lost to the best guys in his division pretty much, but I honestly think he's a fighter who thrives when an opponent shows him too much respect and lets him work his own game.

I don't think Miller will do that, and I have a feeling that if the first round passes by and Cerrone isn't getting things his own way he may start to crumble, especially if Miller starts coming on strong. For me, it's either a 1st round stoppage in favour of cerrone, or a late stoppage or decision win for Miller.

• Paid Members

I didn't see the BBC stuff but my sister text me about it. Apparently Garry Cook was on there trying to force some sensible discussion through a wave of uneducated bullshit. Shit about it being barbaric/the cage and stuff. Is it 2002 again?

The funny thing is, last time BBC covered the UFC was last year and they did a surprisingly positive interview segment promoting the Jon Jones vs Alexander Gustafsson fight.

jon-jones-alexander-gustafsson.jpg

I can't believe we're still getting the same old bollocks about human cockfighting and shit in 2014. Good job they sent Garry Cook on though, and not Dana White. Can you imagine the tirade he'd have gone on? He'd have done his usual pink-faced aggressive bit and only backed up their stupid argument that it's a sport of thugs for thugs.

Archived