UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs Arlovski - May 8th

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah, Gareth A Davies. I can only assume the 'A' stands for Anus.

Gareth-A-Davies---Interview---The-Daily-

When it comes to GAD, ignorance is bliss. You've gone and ruined it for yourself now.

He's a journalist. Writes for the Daily Telegraph. Pompous twat wrapped up in a disgusting 20-odd stone of hair and sweat. Wears a leopard print scarf and carries a green handbag, then declares himself a 'proper bloke'. Gets everywhere when it comes to UFC and boxing coverage in the UK. Somehow landed jobs as frontman of the UK UFC coverage on both Setanta and BT Sport, despite being shit and regularly chatting bollocks and still clearly knowing very little of fighters he's been covering for years. ESPN have paid for his services in the past. Fuck knows why. He's now bluffed his way onto a UFC Countdown. He's been on Ringside on Sky Sports. All despite knowing about as much about MMA/Boxing as a Jeremy Kyle guest knows about dental hygiene or contraception. What else? Kisses Dana's arse at media scrums. Seeths with jealousy at the vastly superior Ariel Helwani's status as the top dog of the MMA media. Looks like he stinks. Did a video with ring girl Carly Baker where he was like a creepy uncle. Probably responsible for the Ebola outbreak. Talks to people as if he's above them in knowledge on MMA, yet he can't pronounce Urijah Faber's name properly. He is awful. The Boris Johnson of MMA media. He is awful. His only skill as far as I can make out, is to know which arses to kiss to blag his way into jobs.

Here he is being bitter about Ariel Helwani and talking about being a 'proper bloke';

http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=pGuNUZ7arlI

You can tune into Beyond The Octagon every Tuesday at 9pm on BT Sport and see him throwing his lack of knowledge around like a case of the clap. And regularly butchering fighters names, remembering results of fights wrong and talking over everyone.

All just my personal opinion, of course.

• Paid Members

Ha, it does!

Doctor: I'm sorry sir, I'm afraid I'm diagnosing you with a terminal case of GAD.

Patient: GAD? What's that?

Doctor: Greasy Arsehole Disorder. There is no known cure. But we recommend you get yourself a leopard print scarf and green handbag so you fit in with the other sufferers.

Jim - you can add Shayna Baszler, Mr Cupcake Caraway, Thiago Silva, War Machine, Travis Browne, Greg Jackson, Javier Mendez, Josh Koscheck, Tim Kennedy and Luke Rockhold to the list of MMA folk I don't like. Some for good reasons like War Machine and Thiago Silva. Others just because I find them annoying, slimy, smug, cunty or whatever, just by existing.

Oh and Justin Buccholz. Can't fucking stand him, for no reason. I just don't like his face. I saw him in TJ Dillashaw's corner at UFC 177 and I found myself grinding my teeth at the sight of the bloke.

I suppose there is always Rothwell, Mitrione and Arlovski on winning streaks  :mellow:

That's actually quite depressing, because it's true. The way things are going one of them might actually end up getting a title shot just because there's no-one else.

UFC 194: Velasquez vs Meathead - ONLY ON PAY PER VIEW!

Urgh.

That really is a depressing thought. Arlovski wouldn't be as bad for me just because he's an old school guy, Cain would wreck him but he'd do the same to Meathead so what does it matter. There isn't anyone I don't think Cain would dominate though. Really needed Barnett or Overeem to get a few of wins in a row to at least have an interesting fight.

The only fights I'm slightly interested in on this next card is the main event and the Yahya vs Bedford rematch and even those two fights I'm not that bothered about.

• Paid Members

my customary late comments on Friday's show...

thought it was a decent show up until the main card then it really caught fire...

* What can you say about Joe Lauzon? Never a dull moment, and this was shaping up to be a FOTY candidate until the unfortunate (yet justified) stoppage. Logical thing to do is whack this on a PPV and do the rematch. Excellent stuff. That fucking cut :cry:

* Alistair Overeem...there's a part of him that probably wishes he'd stayed in Japan. If Overeem had walked away from the game after his K-1 success and his last MMA run there he would have gone down in the history books as one of the great heavyweights, people would have always questioned if that guy could have been the best ever, he was a machine. The UFC return has just been a bit of a disaster, i thought Overeem looked terrified Friday night, he was sharp with his strikes but he didn't look he wanted to be there to me, the guy looks like and has all the skills of a world class fighter but he just doesn't have that mental makeup to be one, he just crumbles like no one else. Gotta give props to Rothwell too, Rothwell's always been a everyman of MMA, he's clearly not that gifted an athlete he's a bit of a modern day Timmeh, just a big lump who works hard...and just so happens to be granite tough.

* Not quite sure where i stand with Mitrione. I thought the whole call-out speech was a bit odd...he talks about disrespect, but isn't this the same guy that called Ortiz out over his relationship with Jenna Jameson? I dunno, the guy's mind clearly works at 1,000mph and he probably doesn't really think before he talks but still as a fighter he's never really in a dull fight so fuck it. Mitrione/Lewis was like two tanks colliding, and Mitrione just ended up on the better end of the collision.

* Jacare is a fucking beats, he's been my tip to be a UFC Champion for some time now. The guy just seems to have the kind of game that's next to impossible to defeat. Mousasi's entire gameplan was to keep the fight standing, but when your fighting a guy that possesses the fire power of Jacare on the feet it's gonna throw your takedown defence to the dogs. If you're in full-takdown defence mode your gonna get clipped cause Jacare throws heaters on the feet and you don't have much choice but to back up to the fence and once you're there your in trouble...and his ground game is just ridiculous, there's few guys in the sport that renders an opponent useless offensively on the ground, Jacare is one of them. I'd imagine Jacare needs to fight one more time before Weidman/Belfort finally scrap, but Weidman/Jacare is something that needs to happen.

* Undercard was decent, few good performances there. Justin Scoggins paid the price of being over confident with John Moraga, he put himself in danger several times and eventually got caught. Beal/Matsuda was a good one, but Matsuda needs to drop a division. Al Iaquinta remains one of the better prospects at 155 that no one really talks about. Props to Chas Skelly, 2 wins in 13 days in the UFC! I genuinely thought he was going to die during that post-fight interview though, poor fucker.

• Paid Members

Yeah I'd be surprised if we don't see Lauzon vs Chiesa 2 get booked now. I wouldn't even mind that getting five rounds headlining a FOX Sports 1 card or something.

That really is a depressing thought. Arlovski wouldn't be as bad for me just because he's an old school guy, Cain would wreck him but he'd do the same to Meathead so what does it matter. There isn't anyone I don't think Cain would dominate though. Really needed Barnett or Overeem to get a few of wins in a row to at least have an interesting fight.

You know what, I really can't think what the fuck is next at heavyweight after Cain vs Werdum.

If Cain wrecks him like everyone expects, then who's next? I can only think of Miocic as an immediate challenger. But he's likely fighting JDS next and JDS will probably beat him. So he'll be eliminated. Barnett's coming off a loss and he's not even fought this year for some reason. Overeem, Mir, Nog are all fucked. It's getting to the point where I could really see them having to go with Dancin' Ben Rothwell. Or maybe they give the winner of Hunt vs Nelson a crack. There really aren't many options.

Really, the best thing that could happen for the division is for Werdum to pull off the upset and beat Cain in November. That would open up possibilities for Werdum vs Cain 2, Werdum vs JDS 2 etc. And hopefully other contenders would emerge while that worked itself out. But even then, it'd be good for the heavyweight division but it wouldn't be the best start to the UFC-Mexico love affair to have Cain lose his title on the Mexico debut show.

Heavyweight is a mess. Cain has ruined the second best heavyweight twice. And all the other potential marketable challengers have either lost or they've all beat each other recently.

I do kind of miss him on Setanta speaking about "Hashad Evans"

Don't forget "Rice Gracie", "Wonder-lie Silva" and "Chuck Ly-dell".

And his insistence on pronouncing Brazilian, Mexican or Asian sounding names with a weird foreign accent, (he said "Vale Tudo" once with a Brazilian twang. I could've strangled someone), presumably to make himself sound more intelligent and well traveled. The pretentious berk.

• Paid Members

the heavyweight division is just stagnant, no one ever really seems to progress...Derrick Lewis could have been on the fast track given the slowness of the division but he just got waxed in 30 seconds. The division is just treading water.

Yeah I'd be surprised if we don't see Lauzon vs Chiesa 2 get booked now. I wouldn't even mind that getting five rounds headlining a FOX Sports 1 card or something.

Really, the best thing that could happen for the division is for Werdum to pull off the upset and beat Cain in November. That would open up possibilities for Werdum vs Cain 2, Werdum vs JDS 2 etc. And hopefully other contenders would emerge while that worked itself out. But even then, it'd be good for the heavyweight division but it wouldn't be the best start to the UFC-Mexico love affair to have Cain lose his title on the Mexico debut show.

Exactly

If Werdum beat Cain (which is unlikely), it would blow everything wide open again. If he did I would not give Cain a straight rematch and do one of the following

Wedum vs JDS 2

Werdum vs Hunt

Werdum vs Arlovski 2

Werdum vs Big Foot 2

I do think that Micoic, will be next if Cain wins

EBB: Rothwell being the new Timmy? Could not have put it better myself. 

• Paid Members

I do think that Micoic, will be next if Cain wins

Thinking about it, they might have to go that route. Still not ideal, I mean, Miocic getting a title shot coming off beating an undersized Maldonado? But what choice do they have? He's one of the only guys in the division who's winning and hasn't already been tainted by Cain smashing him already.

It's been looking like JDS vs Miocic will happen, but maybe they'll go a different direction and do Cain vs Miocic if Cain beats Werdum. They could always do JDS vs Barnett or, fuck it, just one last try at JDS vs Overeem. JDS is coming off a loss anyway so fighting another guy coming off a loss wouldn't matter really.

The only other option would be the Cain vs the Hunt/Nelson winner. Again, not ideal but Roy's just scored a brutal KO on Nog, Hunt drew with Bigfoot in the FOTY. Whoever wins out of Hunt and Nelson, especially if it's by stoppage, could be in with a chance.

We're clutching at straws. But yeah, a Werdum win would shake up the division in a way it could probably do with at the moment.

Are there really no heavyweights currently fighting elsewhere that they couldn't bring in right now to get started on some kind of championship road? Are they that rare?

There is another Champion they could bring in, has a history with Cain also

Brock-Lesnar.jpg

But seriously. Decent HW's do not come down the pipe often

• Paid Members

Are there really no heavyweights currently fighting elsewhere that they couldn't bring in right now to get started on some kind of championship road?

Sadly, not really.

Heavyweight went through a period of quality stemming from the Pride days, then Strikeforce had a good pool of heavies with Fedor, Overeem, Barnett, Bigfoot, Werdum, Arlovski etc. In the UFC you had that group come along in the in 2008 - Lesnar, Carwin, Velasquez, JDS - who all came in within a eight month span and gave the UFC division a real boost. You still had Frank Mir in decent form. Spillover from Pride like Big Nog, Cro Cop who still had some name value and could be competitive with the right guys.

Since that time though, very little new blood has come through. Fedor, Brock, Randy and Carwin are done. Nog and Mir are both pretty much done. Cro Cop's gone. Overeem's stock has plummeted. Arlovski looks shot to fuck. Hunt and Nelson are good but middle of the pack. JDS and Bigfoot are already two losses down to Cain. Barnett's got work to do but could still do something potentially. Browne hasn't been able to get over the hump. Miocic remains to be seen but he's not exactly getting people buzzing, nor does he look a real threat to Cain or JDS. Struve's ticker is dodgy.

There's been a fun group of heavies they've relied on for years now. But all the Pride guys are either done or near enough done. And there's been really no new guys emerging since Cain and JDS came up. The Bellator heavyweights aren't much cop. And there's really no-one anywhere else who you'd see making even a ripple in the UFC.

There's been literally one heavyweight who's come along in the last five years who's looked like making a real impact. That was Daniel Cormier. And he's gone down to 205.

I'd say the division is in transition but what are they transitioning to? There's no-one currently on the horizon who I could see the UFC picking up who would make a difference. I'm hearing nothing about heavyweight prospects in the minor leagues, really. The future of heavyweight looks pretty bleak to me. I hope some beast, or preferably a few of them, come along to shake shit up. But for now, let's just say I think Cain Velasquez is going to be champion a looooong fucking time.

Archived