PCW

the mullet

• Moderators

Fludder's got a better business plan then Gauntley, I'd wager. For example, some of the imports last month were brought in in partnership with a friend of mine from Wales Comic Con which probably saved him a few bob. A year ago, I'd have probably said "Yes, it's going to go the same way as 1PW". I wouldn't say that now though. I'd imagine he's doing alright running every two months if he's packing the nightclub out like the reports suggest. Obviously he wouldn't be able to run an All-Star, LDN or Welsh Wrestling style schedule, but running the big shows on the odd occasioan is making him a few quid, I'd guess.

To be fair It wouldn't surprise me if he's profiting a fair whack from it all. I follow them on Facebook (they have something silly like 7,000 followers now), there weekend coming up soon is pretty much sold out (roughly 2000 tickets in total?). They sell DVDs/Blu-rays in the hundreds (according to their facebook). I did start to wonder if it was going down the 1PW rout, they only really needed The Steiners IMO for the upcoming weekend, but if it's all in partnership with other companies, why not if it draws.

• Paid Members
Will PCW go the same way as 1PW? I mean bringing over all these imports? Is it bad for business, Don't get me wrong I have nothing against PCW or Steven Fludder just hope he doesn't turn out like Gauntley

What makes you make the same comparisons , Fludder is bringing over 5 or 6 at a time not 15 or 16

Also he has a very sound Business model , he is making money and runs it like a business should be run.

There is money to be made in British wrestling , you just need to work hard to do it

PCW have always delivered with the advertised imports outside of Elgin and Edwards last December which was a travel issue beyond anyone's control. I think this good reliable reputation will leave PCW in good stead to continue to grow, whether it's more star studded weekend events or perhaps a move to a larger venue somewhere down the line.

As for PCW's import heavy shows, they can appeal to a variety of different fans which perhaps 1PW didn't in the past. The Steiners and Goldust have fans of each major company, Masters is a well known former WWE name, Zema Ion and Doug Williams appeal to fans of current TNA. If the show featured several guys at say, Zema's level of popularity that may be where the business sense goes out of the window. (No offence, Zema lad).

I'd never been one to go and travel to British shows but I've been to four PCW shows since last August and this past April I chose their show over going to catch a WWE show around the same time so that speaks volumes.

• Paid Members

Although Steven is a fan like anyone else, he’s also in it to make money. PCW and 1PW are two entirely different kettles of fish. Steven knows that PCW is a brand that fans buy into and in return offers top-quality shows with imports people want to see (I mean, the fuckin’ Steiners!). 1PW were just about making a quick buck from innocent fans whilst at the same time milking the die-hards who would praise them no matter what.

With regards to imports, PCW's 2nd Anniversary show is a no imports show. PCW doesnt actually need as many imports to be fair, but the crowds are forever growing and growing, with each new announcement. Sometimes there is a shrug of the shoulders but they always deliver. There hasn't been a rubbish import yet

I've missed the grand total of 2 shows, through no fault of my own, but it really is something unique South of the Border at present. ICW seems to catch a similar vibe with the nightclub settings and rabid crowd in Scotland, but PCW something else, when you have Million Dollar Man, Kevin Steen, Dreamer, Kendrick, London, Super Crazy, Tozawa, et al praising it to high heaven as well as Nigel McGuinness saying the match vs Dave Rayne was his favourite, or at least amongst them, then you know that it's not just a fleece them and leave them outfit. The wrestlers genuinely care, and are amazed by the crowd and the ambiance, indeed many have said it in a situation when they didn't need to.

Sure, not everything is amazing all of the time, and some people aren't always happy with the booking, cost etc. but it's just a step above at present (I'm currently working my way around to catching as many local feds as possible this year, and you can certainly tell the difference between PCW and other feds.) There is also plenty of fan interaction, it's almost tribal. If their new to the show, go say hello and make them feel welcome. If they drink, get em a beer and invite them to join in the fun! The PCW staff are all very approachable and go out of their way to help as well. It all makes to create an atmosphere that is like to being at a 'old school' football match. You go with your mates, meet a load of new friends, enjoy the show, and then want to go the next one. It's akin to the ECW vibe and the crowd, I guess.

Either way, unless the bottom drops out of the market, then I can't see PCW having issues any time soon.

While comparisons can be made between the two you have to remember 1PW's debut show hit the ground running and contained 16 fly-in's. That's 16 out of 26 wrestlers on the (main) card (as there was also a pre-show battle royal for the majority of the English guys). But that was a product of it's time as with FWA and the Alex Shane supershows, in order for 1PW to make the impact it did it needed to really go for the throat of the large market that wanted to see all the TNA, ROH, ex-WWE/ECW guys. That first show contained a massive no-show when Matt Hardy had to pull out only a few weeks before the show and it served as a perfect example of 1PW's first year of existence and why it was ultimately doomed to fail.

PCW's first show only contained the one import, someone who was already in the UK. From August 2011 the first time they brought in imports EXCLUSIVELY for their show was the December show last year where they took the risk on John Morrison, Chris Masters and Eugene and it paid off. Since that show things have changed as they've had The Young Bucks only UK show that weekend, Super Crazy and Brian Kendrick the shows after and now really testing the limits with the up coming supershow weekender (so justifying the cost of bringing in such names by ensuring they're getting two gates worth) with The Steiner Brothers, Lita, Chris Masters and Goldust.

So they didn't go for broke like 1PW did. They took time to build and establish a brand and even still their roster for the supershow weekend contains 20 wrestlers night one, 6 of which are fly in's and only 4 exclusive to PCW. Night two has 20 again with Lita in a guest ref spot, the exact same imports.

Don't get me wrong a perfect storm of neither Steiner attending, Lita no-showing, etc would be something hard to repair and similiar to 1PW's crisis, but would be out of the PCW's promoters control as he does nothing but promote and show all the boxes are ticked, something you KNOW Gauntley and definitely Rodd never bothered with.

• Paid Members

PCW seem to have the balance right in terms of imports. And the right kind of imports. It reminds me more of a British version of Pro Wrestling Syndicate more than 1PW. The 1PW comparisons are quite unfair, because that was a cluster fuck from day one. The whole basis of the promotion was "I know its going to die eventually but hopefully not because they book Trent Acid :devil::p:):blush: ". PCW has a fanbase which has faith in them and the imports they book target a mix of smart and casual fans. Everyone knows Scott Steiner, but also the money paying smart fan would love to see the Steiners in the UK because they are the Steiners. It makes a change from threads like "FUCKING HELL THEY'VE BOOKED ADAM COLE!!!!~~~" because Adam Cole isn't going to flog foam fingers to kids and single mams.

I'm still desperate for an answer why they booked Michelle Thorn. Not criticising it. Its just so out of the box it intrigues me greatly. I'd like to see more appearances like that. Like Victor from Big Brother popping up to manage someone. PWS does that in the US with Mr Belding. If you are going to book a fun promotion, doing cool and wacky shit is a good way to go about it.

I'm still desperate for an answer why they booked Michelle Thorn. Not criticising it. Its just so out of the box it intrigues me greatly. I'd like to see more appearances like that. Like Victor from Big Brother popping up to manage someone. PWS does that in the US with Mr Belding. If you are going to book a fun promotion, doing cool and wacky shit is a good way to go about it.

The Michelle Thorn/e thing is explained in this article for the local rag, she's no longer appearing either.

• Moderators

Shame The Steiners have sold out really, a couple of us from around here were going to drive up for it. My refusal to ever buy tickets in advance for a Britwres show (thanks to 1PW as it happens) has cost me dear.

However, if PCW still want someone glamorous to valet Scott Steiner I have a bowtie and can find a gold sequined tuxedo.

• Paid Members

I don't think its sold out yet. If you do come up make sure you let me know and I'll get you a pint

However, if PCW still want someone glamorous to valet Scott Steiner I have a bowtie and can find a gold sequined tuxedo.

butch-1_zps930b9619.jpg

Shame The Steiners have sold out really, a couple of us from around here were going to drive up for it. My refusal to ever buy tickets in advance for a Britwres show (thanks to 1PW as it happens) has cost me dear.

Well Michelle Thorne is booked but you never know.

• Paid Members
Vicar of Preston, Father Timothy Lipscomb, said: “You have to be very careful at these types of events. “I think was a bit sensational to book that kind of act, but I suspect it was to attract some of the parents."

Father Timothy Lipscomb is a character right? That's something the PCW brain trusts have dreamed up in a creative meeting? If not they should bring him in.

EDIT:

stampout.jpg

Definitely a worker.

Archived