Alex Ferguson Retires

PSF

The legend has announced he will be stepping down after the West Brom game.

So for a 29 year old football fan, Man Utd are Alex Ferguson. Its going to be surial seeing the team come out next season without the big man shouting the orders. I'm certainly not a Utd fan and much like everyone else, I hated not him and the team in my school days, hated most ofn the fans come to think of it. But as you get older, you realise just what an amazing manager Sir Alex is and I have the upmost respect for him.

So with a new Chelsea manager being installed and Man Utd now entering a new era, next season is going to be very interesting. Mr Wenger can't be long for the Premiership either now if next season doesn't go well.

So what's your thoughts on the Scot and who do you think/want to replace him?

In my opinion, David Moyes deserves the chance more than anyone else and I'd much prefer Jose to go back the Chelsea just to spicen up the top end of the league a little.

I'm not sure who should replace him, but one thing is for certain. Whoever takes the job is on a hiding to nothing. Being the 1st Manchester United manager after Alex Ferguson will be a near impossible task.

The reason I say Moyes, is because I just don't see Utd having the same revolving doors as City, Chelsea, Liverpool etc... I know thats because Fergie has been there so long, but a manager coming in for 2 seasons and getting replaced won't work for them.

• Paid Members

It's been rumoured for a while now, and the fact Moyes hasn't signed his contract and was waiting until the end of the season was a bit convenient.

I reckon it's a done deal. Moyes to the mancs, and Maureen to Chelsea.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bitter, I love that man and he deserves all the breaks and success in the world for taking us out of the Walter Smith mire and genuinely giving me hope each and every season, but I will be devastated.

If we get Martinez, it will take the edge off somewhat, but I fear the worst. Been to so many games, home and away, league and Europe, where I've heard Blues cane Moyes and wish for a change in the guard - which made me cunting sick - and now they'll get their wish.

EDIT - As much as I hated and despised that man at points in my life, I'll miss Ferguson. I begrudgingly say, probably the best of all time.

• Paid Members

not a United fan and i love to hate Fergie so i'll be sad to see him go..he's one of them constants that's been in football ever since i was but a nipper.

The next manager is going to be considered a failure though unless he comes out and win the league in his first season, i've noticed the fickle United fans all over facebook have turned on Moyes before he's even been given a chance.

I've always had a lot of time for Fergie. He can be a moaning old cunt at times, but he's like a lovable cantankerous uncle. I'll always like him for causing Kevin Keegan's mental breakdown and taking any opportunity to have a go at the mags ever since. Top marks for loaning us Welbeck and Johnny Evans, less so for selling us Wes Brown, Frazier Campbell and Phil Bardsley. On the whole, he's a top man though.

I've already given my thoughts on his replacement in the Premier League thread, but I'll reiterate them here. I think Moyes could be a success in the long-term, but will be a disaster (by Man Utd standards) in the short-term. I don't think he'll make the step up from never winning anything and only ever really competing for a top 6 spot easily, and I think United will have to ride out a couple of seasons finishing 3rd or 4th and settling for an FA Cup or two along the way. If I was a Man Utd fan I'd be gutted it wasn't Jose.

• Paid Members
i've noticed the fickle United fans all over facebook have turned on Moyes before he's even been given a chance.

I dont see how this makes anyone fickle. Replacing Sir Alex is going to be one of the biggest jobs ever in football, if not the biggest. Its only natural people are going to question, scrutinise and down right worry about whether or not the guy replacing him is going to be up to the task. Moyes is a great manager, someone I've admired for a long time. But the job he does at Everton and the job he will be expected to do at United are worlds apart. He has never won a trophy, has next to zero experience in Europe, no real experience in managing a dressing room full of superstar egos. There are question marks over his head. As there are question marks over any potential replacements head.

I liked this comment under one of the BBC's articles:

"First Maggie dies, now Fergie retires! Somewhere there is a scouser with a lamp and 1 wish remaining"

Archived