Facebook updates that blow your mind

SpursRiot2012

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Just popped on FB to a discussion regarding a CNN report of the recent London attack.

The original report can be found here: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/09/18/europe/london-tube-terror-commute/index.html

... and is titled: "London tube attack suspects were foster children".

Some of the comments were deplorable as you can imagine, some basically calling for an ban on fostering foreign children, because you know, bombs and rapists etc 😐.

Now in fairness to the actual report, it was pretty fair and didn't twist anything out of context as such. It basically states that the couple who fostered the suspects have fostered over 200 children, the queen applauded them in 2010 for their efforts and that they didn't suspect a thing. 

Saying that, if that's the case does the fact that they were fostered need to be the headline, or even a story at all? All it's really accomplished are a few fuck wits expressing their apparent free speech about how all foreign children will grow up as bad'uns.. send them all back etc.

On 03/09/2017 at 7:51 PM, SpursRiot2012 said:

One from Twitter. John Lewis have decided to make and sell gender neutral childrens clothing. People are mad.

The irony is that John Lewis proudly funds the kind of papers that fuel this paranoid bigotry.

• Paid Members

That's disappointing to hear. John Lewis are one of the major examples I point to when discussing how co-operatives are a successful business model, and therefore a genuine, worker-beneficial alternative to the more common corporate structures.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Just popped on FB to a discussion regarding a CNN report of the recent London attack.

The original report can be found here: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/09/18/europe/london-tube-terror-commute/index.html

... and is titled: "London tube attack suspects were foster children".

Some of the comments were deplorable as you can imagine, some basically calling for an ban on fostering foreign children, because you know, bombs and rapists etc 😐.

Now in fairness to the actual report, it was pretty fair and didn't twist anything out of context as such. It basically states that the couple who fostered the suspects have fostered over 200 children, the queen applauded them in 2010 for their efforts and that they didn't suspect a thing. 

Saying that, if that's the case does the fact that they were fostered need to be the headline, or even a story at all? All it's really accomplished are a few fuck wits expressing their apparent free speech about how all foreign children will grow up as bad'uns.. send them all back etc.

The news sadly need a way to frame these stories. 'Potential terrorist leads totally normal life' is no longer a good enough story so they need someway to make it different enough to comment on (which is where their revenue comes from). The headlines for the LGBT activist that was shot dead focused on the fact that they were transgender, rather than they were in an armed standoff with police and refused to drop a weapon.

• Paid Members

I agree with you fully @chokeout, that's what's so fucking frustrating. However, I don't believe the news 'need' to frame such stories, they chose to for the sake of selling more print, or for click bait.. I know this is exactly what you are referring to though, in the sense that they are a business that wants to make a profit. The headline leads you in to thinking that due to them being fostered, it has a relevance, but as the story goes on it's evident that it has non-whatsoever. It's pure fucking click bait. The story itself had been reported constantly for several days, so they just chuck that out there, offer no other information in to the arrests and confirm that they were fostered by a loving and experienced family. 

How about stop being a bunch of lazy fucking tabloid cunts and don't report on it if there's nothing to report.

The LGBT story is horrid, without a shadow of a doubt. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not surprised by this kind of pseudo-journalism it's just that i struggle to bite my lip sometimes. 

Infuriating 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

The Co-Op, too.

The Co-op that when it was suggested they pull their advertising from the Daily Mail and The Sun, instead adopted a policy of "If we place nice friendly adverts, maybe they'll start being nicer to people too".

58 minutes ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

The Co-op that when it was suggested they pull their advertising from the Daily Mail and The Sun, instead adopted a policy of "If we place nice friendly adverts, maybe they'll start being nicer to people too".

Precisely.

Although, not to tar them with the same brush, the Phone Co-Op are separate and have sworn off advertising in the Mail, Sun, and Express. Which makes them a good alternative to all the major mobile networks who do sponsor articles like these with your top-ups and contract payments.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

A girl I used to work with just posted "Just bin fined £50 for droppin a fag end on the floor fuckin fummin". Every comment is disbelief and sympathy for her, like she's a victim here. I'm glad she got fined. Loads of smokers seem to think littering doesn't count for them. Keep your rubbish off the floor. It's not fucking difficult.

bMEBBAG7r7wdBweFA1vjZxV8kpnJ861NGQufIVFCWmvG005-qj1MH22AwORQ0u202khx-sZuYydo5jF95zCG6_zUai1JIjeZQE5A8rG9U4XRKkcsLJ-wrnKe-bfxBDw-rfYwh1U6in-funwfBlp1XX5lKNqD3gXetTGNU3N2hjBZkYov5tZulNzHJeDfcj1-Q8oYAhB-u_T5mknzzTGsqtcH3WGtSgdCTeaMujuRVJ0M9FmAdvAelgO8KD9CB3na0vwF7z_lWDjOnXD-gpPYgl-R-nrv3IwqhaMUjPI_mLwbUCJui4QRPnHSKIBZ51Vy76E9IroVk4kS9WuhsPaq7CRbB4IT0XMo8Uz9GYc6kUHS-Qm6SSAowrd88owiHRLd4V9Dvs4wNXctywUNSoLQ6FdoxboJTrz9OYh1oieCi6bPMEjrie78P3tWF4Fh_xUjvWccJn2VSKqFntQtZstLcOeuUZqRuFxQGqbeiLMxAzsPFZfrAZ12kJ5hGTYilgRoTK5g9XGsOX1gP-yZ_g3RQcrRUQ7z4vzKrqidbY-w3_-NI8_2V6KHRvRMpDwWT1Hhb-t5FnmRAuNBtCzIp3AEcDTtkO7rzW5fEOM024VtDPE=s613-no

Edited by Arn Anderson's Darb