DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Speaking of finally seeing things, I saw The Force Awakens half a year late as I didn't really care for the other 6 films but I really enjoyed it, even if Kylo Ren is a fucking shit baddie. Snoke seems like he could be a bit of a badarse tho and I loved both main goodies. Will be sure to catch the sequel at the cinema and maybe even Rogue One as Felicity Jones is bloody gorgeous.

• Paid Members

Watched The Brown Bunny last night. Most people know it as the film where Vincent Gallo gets a nosh off Chloe Sevigny. There's a reason for that - it's the only fucking thing that happens in the whole film. I can't even imagine how horrible the 2 hour version is.

• Paid Members

I watched Shaolin Soccer a few months ago and although I liked it to begin with, it started to grate on me after about an hour. It's what's put me off watching Kung Fu Hustle so far.

• Paid Members

there's a scene involving a plant pot in Kung Fu Hustle that made me fall out of my seat laughing, if i watched it again i probably wouldn't have the same effect but that first time nearly killed me.

• Paid Members

Watched Tokyo Drifter last night. Really wasn't all it's cracked up to be and I do love Japanese crime stuff from around that time. Just a bit too daft and all over the place for its own good.

Also watched a 1980s sci-fi called Wavelength. Starts off well but then just becomes the usual government conspiracy / peaceful aliens junk. Bit of a disappointment, really. They're both on YouTube though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUEfwYxAKyg

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Gave Kiss Kiss Bang Bang another go.

I absolutely hated this first time round but I gave it another shot as I usually like Shane Black and because of The Nice Guys and all that. I enjoyed it far more this time round.

I still think some of the dialogue that so many think is wonderful is absolutely terrible, and the voiceover was even worse than voiceovers usually are. But the story started to kick in and Michelle Monaghan was in it more, it improved greatly. Even Robert Downey Jr. was tolerable. Glad I gave it another shot.

• Members

I watched and really enjoyed Margin Call, which was on BBC2 recently. It felt like a play (Glengarry Glenross style) and is essentially about a junior analyst at a hedge fund style place that discovers a hidden algorithm which leads to downfall of business and just takes place over that night.

The cast??? Fucking hell. Kevin Spacey, Stanley Tucci, Jeremy Irons, Paul Bettany, Demi Moore and a very good Zachary Quinto.

Highly recommended if you like slow, ensemble pieces.

• Members

I much prefer just watching ensemble pieces with strong dialogue and good acting than any other silly bollocks blockbusters.

Oh and Kevin Spacey is incredibly underrated as an actor still. His turn as Lester Burnham, Top 5 performances ever.

• Paid Members

I much prefer just watching ensemble pieces with strong dialogue and good acting than any other silly bollocks blockbusters.

You say that like it's at all relevant to what's been talked about and that the latter can't have the former.

• Members

Not at all. Action films can have both those things (Deadpool, Civil War etc), it's just I don't massively enjoy "loud, noisy for the sake of it" films, and prefer a good old yarn. I dunno, maybe I'm getting old, or I'm ill, or both!