DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Cheers Ebb. That takes me back to the days of my local Global Video, checking out the covers of all the horror films and trying to imagine how they made half of that shit scary. There's still a Global Video building along the road from my mate's, it only closed for good a couple of years ago. Fell in love with Hollywood DVDs again a few years ago after picking up 6 for a fiver in That's Entertainment (which has since relocated and later shut down, dunno where to get my cheap crappy films now!)

(which has since relocated and later shut down, dunno where to get my cheap crappy films now!)

Poundland and their ilk are a great source of brilliant low budget cinematic disasters. I have nabbed quite a few bad but good action and horror films from there. My local 99p shop just has Bollywood films and awful cheap cartoons.

Good shout on Poundland, I've found some right pish in there in the past. I can't resist a low budget film, the lower the better really. City Dragon is a personal favourite, me and my mate bought every copy we could find in Glasgow and gave them out as Christmas presents a couple of years ago.

I watched Big Hero 6 tonight and loved it. One part at the end had me near tears

although it was a fake-out, but I couldn't be too mad

Cinema trip tomorrow, probably seeing Birdman again. Foxcatcher is an option too, I think one friend even wants to brave Taken 3 *shudder*

I live across the road from the cinema, but the bastards never show anything decent. Been wanting to see Whiplash, Foxcatcher and Birdman but it's an £8 train journey to the nearest cinema showing any of them.

my best friend is the assistant manager of my local cinema, so I get to see films for free. I will still have to travel 20 miles to see any of those films at the cinema. None of the local cinemas are showing them, even though between them they have about 20 screens. Yet the Picture House is showing all 3 of those films and that only has 2 screens. By the time you add up fuel, parking and ticket cost it would cost around 20 quid to see a film.

What We Do In The Shadows. The premise looked ridiculous, so I was very much looking forward to this. It's basically a mockumentary about 3 vampires who share a flat. The first 10-15 minutes had me laughing more than any film in recent memory, but the novelty was starting to ware off about half way through. It was still very funny, but you kind of got used to it all by then.

Really enjoyed it overall though. Well worth another watch.

Edited by Steve Justice

• Paid Members

Taken 3 – More of the same really. Missus fancies Big Liamo so I was happy enough to munch on me Odeon Nachos and Cheese Sauce.

The flick is okay at points and the main villains bulge in his undercrackers is a sight to behold at the end. Doesn’t look like there’s much there initially, but then the light catches it when he’s standing over Neeson and you realise he has his whacker pulled up towards his belly. Striking.

That’s all I really took out of the movie. That and the fact, every time you see Neeson run, the camera is from the waist up and he just seems to be on a moving walkway (like in the airports) and moving his arms up and down accordingly.

• Paid Members

I saw on a poster on a side of a bus that you could watch it in Imax. Is there anything in it that deserves being seen on a massive screen?

the main villains bulge in his undercrackers is a sight to behold at the end. Doesn’t look like there’s much there initially, but then the light catches it when he’s standing over Neeson and you realise he has his whacker pulled up towards his belly.

• Moderators

I saw Snowpiercer at the weekend. I know it was discussed on here previously but obviously I didn't read the discussion as I hadn't seen it at the time.

I enjoyed it, and would like to know a bit more about the symbolism and what it's all supposed to mean. Does anyone have a link to a good review / article / interview or somesuch?

Edited by Chest Rockwell