UFC on FUEL 8: 'Silva vs Stann'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

UFC%20on%20FUEL%208.jpg

FUEL TV MAIN CARD

Wanderlei Silva vs Brian Stann

Mark Hunt vs Stefan Struve

Takanori Gomi vs Diego Sanchez

Yushin Okami vs Hector Lombard

Rani Yahya vs Mizuto Hirota

Dong Hyun Kim vs Siyar Bahadurzada

FACEBOOK PRELIMS

Riki Fukuda vs Brad Tavares

Takeya Mizugaki vs Bryan Caraway

Cristiano Marcello vs Kazuki Tokudome

Alex Caceres vs Kyung Ho Kang

Marcelo Guimaraes vs Hyun Gyu Lim

The UFC returns to the Land of the Rising Sun with a ridiculously packed card. This wouldn't look at all out of place on PPV or FOX.

Main event pits two of the UFC's most aggressive, dangerous and popular knockout artists against each other.

images_Silva_SBR.jpg

versus_logo.png

276626-actionman2_large.png

Wanderlei 'The Axe Murderer' Silva

WandRingPost-300x202.jpg

versus_logo.png

Brian 'The All American' Stann

brian_stann_display_image.jpg

Wanderlei comes from the famed Chute Boxe academy in Brazil;

chuteboxe.jpg

That's them. The biggest collection of badassery since this lot joined forces;

survivorseries1989hulka.jpg

The young Wanderlei quickly developed a fetish for smashing faces.

From Muay Thai fights as a teenager;

2_Wanderlei_Silva_vs_Moises_Pinto.gif

Turning pro in MMA and ripping heads off;

5.1_Wanderlei_Silva_vs._Adriano_Bad_Boy_Verdelli.gif

To bare knuckle maulings in the sadistic IVC promotion in Brazil;

7_-_Silva_Vs_Da_Costa.gif

Stomping heads in Pride;

l.gif

And this in the UFC;

118ert1.jpg

Here's Mrs Silva to expand on the point;

ocukocuk-teasilva2.jpg

You don't say.

Simply put, Wanderlei Silva can and will fuck your day up. And he's returning to his old stomping grounds (pun intended) of Saitama Super Arena and also back to the 205lbs division.

In recent years we've seen less of this;

wanderlei_silva-248x300.jpg

And a shitload more of this;

nvnls0.jpg

And this;

wandy_display_image.jpg

You might not have heard, they don't mention it much, but his opponent Brian Stann was in the Marines. No, I'm not lying.

Exhibit A;

3767.jpg

Exhibit B;

032608_stann_silverstar800px1_original_display_image.jpg

Exhibit C;

brian_marines.jpg

I don't know about you but this came as a total surprise to me. Such a well kept secret.

That won't bother Wandy though, as he explains here, he has a set of balls on him;

WANDERLEI_large_medium.jpg

So even after seeing scenes like this...

3.gif

Wand's not sweating it;

scaled.WanderleiSilvaCakeEMGI_t320.jpg

I'll let Wand have the final word on the main event...

mqdefault.jpg

In the co-main event, probably the most outgoing and talkative fighter in the sport. Another Pride legend who also fought wars in K-1...

Mark 'Super Samoan' Hunt;

mark_hunt_8925_right30.png

The man responsible for the greatest, most casual walk-away KO in MMA history;

15cyjaa.gif

He takes on 7'0" Dutchman Stefan Struve;

Struve_display_image.jpg

A man who's been in his share of wars himself;

ufc99_02_stojnic_vs_struvelo-thumb-500x295-15742_medium.jpg

Your co-headliner;

neohol-291x300.jpg

Speaking of wars...

diego%20busted.jpg

Diego-Sanchez-vs-Martin-Kampmann-Fight-Video_display_image.jpg

Diego-Sanchez-facesportsnickel_display_image.jpg

Diego Sanchez returns to lightweight for the first time in 3 years. He faces yet another Pride legend;

Takanori Gomi

takanori_gomi_display_image.jpg

Maybe the hardest hitting 155er in ever MMA;

gomi-ko-s-ralph-gracie-o.gif

dqodpg.jpg

He's having a bit of a career resurgence lately stringing together wins over Mac Danzig and Eiji Mitsuoka in his last two fights.

Who wins?

'The Dream'?

Diego-cross-screencap_crop_340x234_display_image.jpg

or 'The Fireball Kid'?

gomi-drinks.jpg

Also, in a middleweight contenders fight...

Yushin Okami

yushin_20okami_20ufc_20fighter_crop_340x234.jpg

fresh off smothering the fuck out of Alan Belcher;

uspw_6888684.0_standard_352.0.jpg

He faces Hector Lombard

lombard_display_image.jpg

Who is coming of knocking the fuck out of Rousimar Palhares;

Lombard-vs-Palharis.gif

And Korean Judo standout Dong Hyun Kim

1627734_o.gif

tries to stop the momentum of Siyar 'The Great' Bahadurzada

Bahadurzada-KOing-Thiago-UFC-Sweden.gif

On the prelims...

Bruce Leroy against some Korean bloke;

Bruce-Leroy-tuf-12_display_image.jpg

And the man who made Joe Rogan scream for his arm in a grappling session;

Hyun-Gyu-Lim1.jpeg

Hyun Gyu Lim, finally makes his UFC debut.

If you don't like this card, as the Japanese would say...

sushi.jpg

FINALJapanFlag-270x200.jpg

andersonvandam1.gif

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Card of the year on paper, hopefully it delivers at least half of that. Sadly, I see Wand getting blasted, but it should be a fun, aggressive fight nonetheless- which is why I think Wand is getting killed (see Leben, Chris.)

Pulling for Hunt to land the overhand right then face the loser of JDS vs. Overeem. Come on Super Samoan!

Gomi vs. Sanchez should be a ridiculous war.

I can't get excited about a Yushin Okami fight, I just can't.

• Paid Members

I've gone with Stann by KO :(

Also, Hunt by KO and Sanchez by submission. I think we're in for a crazy card. The Okami vs Lombard fight could be a snoozer or it could end very violently, the rest of the card is pretty much can't miss stuff. The 3 fights in the poll, I can't see a possible way any of them will be anything short of wild and exciting. When do you ever see a bad fight from Wandy? Or Struve? Or Sanchez?

When do you see a bad fight from Stann? Or Hunt? Or Gomi? :p

Also hiding away on Facebook there is Bruce Leeroy, he's become one of my favourites to watch since going to bantamweight. The struggles he had in the past seem long gone, and he's still pretty young. If he keeps improving I think he could be a dark horse in the division.

Is there any reason/gossip as to why someone as big a name as Silva has gone from headlining a PPV to being on the lowest of all UFC shows? Hunt vs Struve would be a more than acceptable main event for a Fuel card. The Silva match on an FX show would seem a bit lowly, let alone a Fuel show.

• Paid Members
Is there any reason/gossip as to why someone as big a name as Silva has gone from headlining a PPV to being on the lowest of all UFC shows? Hunt vs Struve would be a more than acceptable main event for a Fuel card. The Silva match on an FX show would seem a bit lowly, let alone a Fuel show.

Presumably because the card is taking place in Japan, what with the Pride connection and all? Could be wrong, but I'd imagine that's why!

This card is fucking stacked. I speaks volumes that Okami vs Lombard is not even in the 3 fight poll!

I see Sanchez winning on points, I like him at 155lbs. I think he controls Gomi throughout.

I have Struve subbing Hunt, Struve can use his reach standing as well, if Hunt lands its lights out. But the ball is in Struves court and with his recent improvement I do not see him messing up.

The Main I also like Stann, I think he will clip Silva sooner rather than later. Rick Franklin is a bit more technical than Stann, but Franklin hit Wanderlai so often it makes me think Stann at some point will connect big time on Silva. With Stann's power that is not good at all.

• Paid Members

Yeah I think mim's right, throwing Wandy on the Japan card was a natural fit. Last time the only Pride stars they had were Rampage and Gomi (KID on the prelims was a big name as well). This time it feels more like a Pride vs the world card with the top 3 fights having Wandy, Hunt and Gomi.

Wand's said a few times in recent years that he wanted to fight in Japan again before he retires.

This card is fucking stacked. I speaks volumes that Okami vs Lombard is not even in the 3 fight poll!

Yeah I wanted to add that but could only add 3 fights. Who do we pick? My first thought was Okami by decision. Thinking about it though, Lombard's Judo background, frame and strength could make takedowns hard to come by for Yushin. On the feet I think Lombard would catch him.

It's the hardest test of Lombard's career easy for me so far. I'm not sure how it goes. Today I think I'm going Lombard KO, tomorrow maybe Okami points.

Sod it. Lombard KO

I will have trouble picking Okami vs Lombard.

On one hand Okami is the most underrated fighter in the sport in my view, excellent control game and has only lost to the very best at 185lbs (other than Tim Boestch which he was dominating) Rogan (him again) moans he does not pull of submissions, but he faces guys like Alan Belcher who are solid to submit. Okami also has really good GnP that has caused stoppages. His striking is nothing special, but the rest of his game make him a top 5 at 185lbs in my opinion.

Lombard lived up to his previous hype against Palhares. Whilst Belcher did expose Palhares slightly, it was still a beast of a performance. No question, Lombard that night had expelled whatever demons or jitters he may have had in his debut.

I agree with the above, I am swinging towards Lombard due to the style match-up, Okami's weakness is striking and Lombard is very powerful, if Lombard connects it should be lights out. With Lombard having decent grappling and wrestling chops, it may force the fight standing where Okami is at his most weakest. Okami may come out and control Lombard which he can and will do to anyone who is not elite at 185lbs, but I fear Lombard maybe in that elite class.

Card of the year on paper, hopefully it delivers at least half of that. Sadly, I see Wand getting blasted, but it should be a fun, aggressive fight nonetheless- which is why I think Wand is getting killed (see Leben, Chris.)

I'm kind of miffed that you've compared Wanderlei to Chris Leben.

Leben is nowhere near as technically skilled a striker as Silva is.

Is he not referencing the fight between Leben vs Wanderlai in comparison to what he thinks will happen with Wanderlai vs Stann?

Is he not referencing the fight between Leben vs Wanderlai in comparison to what he thinks will happen with Wanderlai vs Stann?

Yes, but Leben got killed by Stann because he did what he always does. He marched forward throwing punches with his eyes closed. That won't be the case with Wanderlei, so the comparison doesn't stand in my opinion.

Sorry David but I think you are missing the point.

He is not comparing Stann's fight with Leben to what will happen to Wanderlai with Stann. He is comparing the way Leben beat Wanderlai to what he thinks Stann will do to Wanderlai. In other words knock him out.

That is at least how I interpreted it.

I understand your point and everything you say I do agree with.

Archived