UFC 157: 'Rousey vs Carmouche'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I can't stand Joe Rogan on commentry.

I'll never forget the time he was saying how Wanderlai Silva was not applying a submission correctly. Thats Joe Rogan (0 pro MMA fights, a stand-up comedian, and not a very good one at that), telling how Wanderlai Silva (48 pro MMA fights, former PRIDE FC Middleweight champion, former IVC Light-Heavy Weight champion, 2003 PRIDE FC Middleweight Grand Prix winner) should have been applying a submission

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get your gripe.

But, Rogan does know a shit load about BJJ, he trains in it under Eddie Bravo and is meant to be really good. I was watching with a friend so I did not listen to him during this event, but he has been woeful of late. Still think he is a decent commentator when he calms down and does not push his own agenda.

His stand-up is not really my cup of tea either, but some really rate him.

I get your gripe.

But, Rogan does know a shit load about BJJ, he trains in it under Eddie Bravo and is meant to be really good. I was watching with a friend so I did not listen to him during this event, but he has been woeful of late. Still think he is a decent commentator when he calms down and does not push his own agenda.

I know he does train BJJ and respect that he has knowledge in that discipline, but its the way he talks as if hes some kind of veteran fighter. I've never had a competitive fight, but have trained a little, but I imagine thier to be a world of difference between what you experience in training and a real fight

I get your gripe.

I know he does train BJJ and respect that he has knowledge in that discipline, but its the way he talks as if hes some kind of veteran fighter. I've never had a competitive fight, but have trained a little, but I imagine thier to be a world of difference between what you experience in training and a real fight

He has fought in tae kwon do, but if you do not class that then your point stands. I think he is qualified personally to critique, but if he bugs you with the way he does it, then that is fair enough.

• Paid Members

Rogan's a BJJ black belt and had success in Tae Kwon Do. He's more qualified than any of us to critique fights and techniques. It's his job to explain what's going on to the viewer, including first time viewers, so he will come across as a bit of a know it all by default.

I totally get the criticism though. It's not so much what he says, it's the tone in how he says it which rubs people wrong sometimes. He was fucking awful during Nog vs Rashad recently. It was a poor fight but tactically, Nog was spot on. Yet Rogan took away from that by harping on the negatives and telling us every 5 seconds how Nog was kicking wrong.

He likes certain techniques (seems leg kicks and rubber guard get his willy particularly hard) and he calls for them even if they might be a bad idea in that particular fight. For example - he kept calling for Rampage to use leg kicks against Jones, even though a) Rampage has never been a kicker and b) Jones wanted to take him down.

I like him but there's times when he gets on my tits.

• Paid Members

Think there'd ever be a market for a UFC Celeb division - for guys like Rogan who may not be able to compete at the absolute highest level but nevertheless are tasty enough to draw viewers with the side-show factor?

There must be a few other celebs who might be a bit handy at BJJ or other martial arts that people might like to see in a fight with other celebs?

Think there'd ever be a market for a UFC Celeb division - for guys like Rogan who may not be able to compete at the absolute highest level but nevertheless are tasty enough to draw viewers with the side-show factor?

There must be a few other celebs who might be a bit handy at BJJ or other martial arts that people might like to see in a fight with other celebs?

He tried to fight Wesley Snipes in 2005 when Snipes had money trouble. For reasons I am not sure of it never came of.

• Moderators

I'm shocked there's never been a Celebrity Cage Fighting show. Think, Dancing on Ice meets Sky One's The Match with, say, Ian Freeman and Bas Rutten training blokes out of Hollyoaks, Big Brother, and Chesney Hawkes.

He tried to fight Wesley Snipes in 2005 when Snipes had money trouble. For reasons I am not sure of it never came of.

I seem to recall reading about that too. From what I recall, Snipes said "get me that guy from Fear factor", which Rogan used to host. Rogan agreed to the fight, and suddenly Snipes wanted nothing to do with it.

To go back to my Rogan point earlier. I was making the point of 'its not what he says, its the way he says it'. Obviously, hes way more qualified for the position than I am, but its the patronising nature in which he does it that gets my back up.

• Paid Members
Vinny Jones vs. Lenny Henry might be a good shout.

Nigel Benn vs Piers Morgan. Yeah, it wouldn't be fair but it would be so fucking satisfying to watch.

Also;

Vinnie Jones vs the Go Compare man

Rollerball Rocco vs Richard Madely

John 'Jab' Prescott vs Kelvin McKenzie

Phil and Grant Mitchell vs Jedward

Eric 'Cartwheel kick' Cantona vs Jessie J

Lennox Lewis vs The cast of TOWIE

The possibilities are endless.

Archived