A guy i know is attempting this?

terrornation

Basically a guy who i used to hang around with daily from the ages of 13-16 and still occasionally run into/ have a drink with is attempting to walk from Beijing to London and document it along the way via social media, whilst also writing a book and creating a documentary.

The local newspapers have already ran articles on it and provided (hopefully) he stays safe this should be very interesting to keep up on.

What do you guys think?

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-n...00252-32591873/

http://michaelleejohnson.com/

• Paid Members

No, Michael, you're not going to "reclaim your freedom" by walking the earth. You're deciding to be a bum, just like all those pieces of shit out there who beg for change, who sleep in garbage bins, eat what I throw away. They got a name for that, Michael. It's called a bum. And without a job, a residence, or legal tender, that's what you're going to be, man. You're going to be a fucking bum.

No, Michael, you're not going to "reclaim your freedom" by walking the earth. You're deciding to be a bum, just like all those pieces of shit out there who beg for change, who sleep in garbage bins, eat what I throw away. They got a name for that, Michael. It's called a bum. And without a job, a residence, or legal tender, that's what you're going to be, man. You're going to be a fucking bum.

Harsh words, but fair if that's what you think.

By Reclaim your freedom i think he was just being over dramatic which i guess makes it sound quite pretentious indeed.

Personally i wonder if its achievable with only 6 months training and at that walking snowden and Ben Nevis is hardly comparable to the Gobi or the Himalays or a war torn country,

As for money i know he did make a fair wedge a few years back dunno if he has any of that to fund this.

• Paid Members

There's an American journalist doing a six year walk tracing the original movements of human kind, startin in Africa, going through the Middle East and Chinam then down the Americas coastline, interviewing locals as he goes and filming 10 seconds every hour to make a massive movie.

• Paid Members

Harsh words, but fair if that's what you think.

By Reclaim your freedom i think he was just being over dramatic which i guess makes it sound quite pretentious indeed.

Wow. I thought this sort of thing only happened to me.

I don't feel alone any more!

Best of luck to him, but he sounds like one of "those" sort of back packers. You know the sort... Looks down on people who work hard to grow up, get a career, build a family and generally enjoy life without the need to have a glorified "look at me I'm so cultured. LOOK AT ME!" Also takes life and himself waaaaaaaayy too seriously.

The guy will get back after 5 years to discover a) nobody followed his blog b) nobody actually cares about his stories c) at 35 ish has little to no job prospects d) all the hot girls he knew are married with kids and e) has fuck all money or investments whatsoever and will move in back with his parents. Plus he'll probably break his leg / get a nasty sti / end up in jail.

Sorry for sounding like a cunt... My family had a run in with a real dickhead backpacker who ruined a really nice trip in Australia because he was constantly (ironically) complaining about all the tourists and "tutting" at all the beautiful views because they weren't as good as something else he did.

Good on him I say. If it's something he really wants to do then more power to him. Better to give it a bash than be sitting at home in twenty years time with a mortgage, kids and a wife who only sleeps with him on his birthday wondering what the fuck happened to his life, and wondering if he could have managed to make that walk.

Archived