Future of the independent wrestling show merchandise table sales

dangerously420

• Moderators
Merch tables are never going to be the innovators here though, are they. The technology will have to become commonplace for other reasons before such small turnover businesses start investing.

Exactly this. I like to pay by card wherever possible so I'm all for it but the wrestling merch table is not going to be the genesis of this.

When I go to music gigs though, there's definitely been times that I would have bought some merch if I could have paid by card, but ended up spending my cash on beer instead so I can definitely see the argument for it.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Lots of people have smart phones and there is a paypal app for most of them. If a wrestler really wants your merch money this could be a way of paying for it in an actual cashless way. It is not something I imagine would be hugely popular but it is an alternative.

Its pretty common to use technology similar to this with touring bands, more and more venues around the world have been made to put in wifi for it. In the states (mostly bigger) wrestling merch companies have had portable card machines for years. I just assumed this was a thing people did anyway.

• Paid Members
Lots of people have smart phones and there is a paypal app for most of them. If a wrestler really wants your merch money this could be a way of paying for it in an actual cashless way. It is not something I imagine would be hugely popular but it is an alternative.

Was thinking of that myself too, and as was said earlier, it's clear wrestling merch tables wont be the ones making the move forward, more than likely it'll be just them taking advantage of it if the building they are in already has them in place for some reason.

I think Cabana has a card machine to take payment off some people, so there is clearly a benefit to embracing this. I have been at shows before where I may have bought a DVD or two if they took card payment as I don't really carry that much cash around.

Bit old fashioned here, but take the cash, and spend it if you have it. If not then get it on the website or whatever after, many promotions sell DVD's on their own sites and stuff without causing a queue snarl up at a show.

Ive seen people in wetherspoons pay for single drinks t via cards, apparently the concept of cash is an alien one and given the extra time it takes, they could have paid and been away much earlier, creating an unnecessary snarl up at the bar, whilst people wait and wait and wait for the card transaction to go through. It would be similar at wrestling shows I guess.

Furthermore, and this is just me, if you have the option to spend via card or what not at a show, you could be more likely to spend more money than you have/budgeted if you can 'just chuck it on your card'. great for the promotor. Not so great for your bank balance. So would do what I usally do, budget for the show, and if I spend up I spend up.

• Paid Members

ROH have a card machine at their merchandise table (or, at least, used to). They had it on their stall when they did the tours over here in 2006 and 2007. It was actually a factor in me choosing to buy a load of DVDs there and then that I would otherwise have waited to buy from their online store, since I wouldn't have been carrying that amount of cash around with me.

That was a unique situation, though, and Patdfb is right: most people at most British wrestling shows usually just bring a certain amount of money with them and spend it. Programme. T-shirt. Maybe a DVD. Foam hand. Drink. Hot dog, if you like. Back in the days where there were tape traders etc with stalls at shows, you could see it working as you had your 'smart' fans using the shows to stock up on the latest indie/Japanese tapes and spending decent coin. Those days are gone...

What's wrong with actual money?!

It's not backed by gold? The people that own the Banks just press "print" and charge tax payers interest for it?

Still, it's waaay better than plastic, which itself is way better than a chip in the arm.

;)

Companies should have one at the doors for those buying their tickets - try and keep the cash on the punters for food and merch. At the interval and after the show it can be used to pay for future event tickets that families maybe never thought would be on sale, it can be used ringside for the mandatory picture with a wrestler as well as fill in for anyone needing it for merch that never brought along enough cash or ran out at the hot dog stand.

I'm sure there must be away to type in the goods purchased, which makes it easier for doing the books after.

I've seen these about, good idea but I would use it for mainly tickets and photographs and there to be used if someone requested it for merch.

- I wish companies had plastic bags on the merch stand to be able to carry everything home....just something that often annoyed me

• Paid Members
Companies should have one at the doors for those buying their tickets - try and keep the cash on the punters for food and merch. At the interval and after the show it can be used to pay for future event tickets that families maybe never thought would be on sale, it can be used ringside for the mandatory picture with a wrestler as well as fill in for anyone needing it for merch that never brought along enough cash or ran out at the hot dog stand.

I'm sure there must be away to type in the goods purchased, which makes it easier for doing the books after.

I've seen these about, good idea but I would use it for mainly tickets and photographs and there to be used if someone requested it for merch.

- I wish companies had plastic bags on the merch stand to be able to carry everything home....just something that often annoyed me

I

A merch stall at a show is pretty much one of those things. You know it's going to be there before hand, you go prepred as not all venues have cash machines and you try to limit your spending to what you have. It's not going to get sales from anyone who wasn't expecting it to be there and thinks "it's lucky I had my card."

I

Archived