Homosexuality in Wrestling - FACTS ONLY!

RealQualityWrestling

Hi There,

I'm currently working on my MA and writing a piece on homosexuality in Wrestling, and whilst there's a fair bit of information on the US Wrestling scene and homosexuality, with certain notable cases, there's not a great deal of information on the UK scene.

Does anyone know of any instances in which a UK promoter or wrestler has 'come out'?

I know there's been rumours about a London-based promoter and relationships with a few of the wrestlers he uses regularly (no pun intended!), but is there any truth to them?

Not looking for which-hunt here, so feel free to just initialise people you mention, or not mention them by name at all!

PLEASE - no homophobic remarks.

Touchy subject for some perhaps, but it's an interesting topic in the sense that it hasn't been covered much at all in the UK, from what I've heard/read.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Back in the WOS days, Al Vipon had an interest in the young boys. Good luck getting any more information on him though, as the wrestlers of that era tend not to speak of him other than to say he's an evil cunt.

Chris Botherway is openly gay, and had a "coming out" party. I can't remember how long ago it was, but there's a chance the thread still survives on here.

Ever so slightly off topic but Realqualitywrestling if you are doing a piece about homosexuality in wrestling I'm sure you have read Kanyon's book "Wrestling Reality: The Life and Mind of Chris Kanyon Wrestling's Gay Superstar".

Anyway my question is : Is it any good?

Wrestling Reality: The Life and Mind of Chris Kanyon Wrestling's Gay Superstar

Yes, I've read it. Very good (and I don't like most current wrestling biographies). And, to the contrary of the sensationalist title, isn't all about being gay in wrestling.

Whose the rumoured London based promoter? Although, if its rumours maybe best not to name.

Just an Asian promoter (don't jump to conclusions, there's a few!). I think he's openly out to family and friends though so not really an issue.

Archived