Raw 13/08/12 Discussion

NEWM

I watched this in nicely portioned segments on Youtube this morning, cracked it in about an hour. Again though with Raw, what I watch, I actually like. I can't imagine these being much fun as a live three hour show, but the bits I wanted to see were mainly good.

- Titus & D-Young doing in Truth was a brilliant and simple segment they should do more of. The heels taking advantage of the lone face, it's a staggeringly simple one, but it always works. A.W won't be missed at all in their act, I don't think.

- I enjoyed the last 15 minutes of Lesnar/HHH/HBK and the slightly-less-than-normal way they structured it. The "HBK is trying to keep away from Lesnar" backstage spots throughout the night were fucking dire though. Shawn's not there every week, nor is Brock for that matter. At least give the both of them some other people to interract with just for the hell of it, you've got three hours after all. There was no cat and mouse feeling whatsoever. Anyway, I'm still looking forward to the HHH/Brock match as much as I was when it first got announced. People have moaned about the build, but to me the spectacle on the night far outweighs any missteps they've taken on the way there. It will almost certainly deliver if HHH has got the match in him.

- Also quite pleased with the slow-burn on Punk. Suits him to be turning in a long, drawn out manner. He plays the smarmy prick really well too, funny that.

- D-Bry has to be the most over act in the company, and he's wearing it well. When he first came out for the run-in, they were going batty for him. Credit to WWE for parleying the 'Yes' gimmick into something a bit more tangible for his act longterm. Everything about Bryan's character works right now, and the fact that he's subtly evolved it to this point is such a credit to him. This, and AJ's responses when people say "crazy", are the only real payoffs to the long convoluted AJ/Bryan/Punk/Kane saga, but they're both pretty intriguing ones. I'm actually seeing potential for Bryan and AJ to be a fruit-loop couple down the road if she gets the sack anytime soon.

Fucking hell, I thought when I'd started the thread that I'd have more to say, but that's it. Three hours condensed into one, six days before Summerslam, and there still seems bollock all going on. I reckon with such low expectations, Summerslam will be excellent. I just hope somebody texts Nash to stick the winner again.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait, was this the go-home show to their 2nd biggest PPV of the year? Bloody hell, what a dreadful build this has been.

I can't have been the only person to laugh at the obviously dubbed over 'tyre screech' sound-effect during the HBK/Heyman car crash bit, can I?

From a kayfabe point of view, why didn't the show end after the contract signing? There was nothing else scheduled afterwards! Did the production team know that Lesnar and Heyman were setting a trap for Michaels or something?

• Paid Members
Wait, was this the go-home show to their 2nd biggest PPV of the year? Bloody hell, what a dreadful build this has been.

I can't have been the only person to laugh at the obviously dubbed over 'tyre screech' sound-effect during the HBK/Heyman car crash bit, can I?

From a kayfabe point of view, why didn't the show end after the contract signing? There was nothing else scheduled afterwards! Did the production team know that Lesnar and Heyman were setting a trap for Michaels or something?

It didn't make much sense but the Lesnar/HHH match is of a higher profile than Punk/Big Show/Bryan it would seem. I found it to be painful and slow episode of Raw and you would never know Summerslam was approaching if not for the titantron. Piper was embarrassingly babbling trying to ruin his own segment (Jericho covering his mic was brilliant) but the following match was by far the best part of the episode. Poor JTG he'll think twice after that squash match, unless he is future endeavoured.

I hadn't watched many Raw's lately and I'm shocked at how little effort went in and they must be relying on Summerslam's name to get PPV buys.

Well you could argue that they built up for SS last year when Punk won the title. It was just horribly rushed (according to Punk that was due to them not having a match planned for it)

One thing, Bryan is now seemingly the most over guy on the roster. How long till he wins the title?

• Paid Members

Bryan is in a great position right now, he's got the Kurt Angle role. Hopefully they hold off Bryan winning the big one until he inevitably turns babyface, which is hopefully a good while away.

I love Piper, but he needs to do himself a favour and retire from TV. Thankfully Jericho was good enough to make something of it, despite Piper trying his hardest to butt in and ruin it. Midcard babyface Jericho is good fun.

It'll be a good match, but this Lesnar/Triple H 'fight' lacks any type of investment from me. Lesnar has lost most of his monster aura since breaking Triple H's arm; in hindsight Triple H going toe-to-toe with Lesnar in a lot of angles has hurt this. Lesnar needs the win big time, hopefully the reason Triple H has had a bit of parity is because he's doing the job.

CM Punk's beard is growing on me.

• Paid Members

I watched Raw live for the first time in a couple of years last night, fuck me there is a silly amount of commercial breaks. I remember it being bad but nothing compared to last night, me and my mates counted 5 breaks in the first 45 minutes and after Piper's pit ended they went to a break, started the the Triple Threat match and after only 4 minutes went to another break, totally killing the flow of what was easily the best match of the night. I know it's not WWE's fault but the network are taking the fucking piss, that's definitely put me off watching Raw live again and I just wonder how many other people are the same, possibly a huge factor in the massive fall in viewership over recent years.

But aye, I thought what was between the incessant adverts was fairly decent, not really what you'd expect for the go home show for their 2nd biggest PPV but still enjoyable.

If Ziggler didn't have the briefcase an interesting 3-way story could be built around himself, Jericho and The Miz for the IC and it would really inject some life into the midcard. I've been hearing rumours that Jericho is leaving after Summer Slam, is there any truth behind this? Really hope not, would be pretty gutted if this was the culmination of his return.

The HHH/HBK/Lesnar stuff was pretty well done in my opinion, Lesnar looks fucking insane and HHH looks pissed the fuck off, HBK's being made to look like he needs protected though which I think is a bit weird considering he's meant to be the showstopper, best in-ring wrestler of all time etc etc. Heyman can sell anything, he's as good as Vince and JR at it, even when Lesnar leaves or starts to drift away or whatever I hope they keep him around for something.

If Ziggler didn't have the briefcase an interesting 3-way story could be built around himself, Jericho and The Miz for the IC and it would really inject some life into the midcard. I've been hearing rumours that Jericho is leaving after Summer Slam, is there any truth behind this? Really hope not, would be pretty gutted if this was the culmination of his return.

Yeah Im pretty sure Jericho has said it himself too, he's away to tour with Fozzy again!

HBK's being made to look like he needs protected though which I think is a bit weird considering he's meant to be the showstopper, best in-ring wrestler of all time etc etc.

He's not been a wrestler in over two years and he has a maniac Brock Lesnar on his tail. It's not really as simple as you make out.

Archived