What promotions do you associate wrestlers with

HWM

I also somewhat associate Bret with WCW. But that's because I started watching full-time post-Montreal and I think the 98-2000 period probably had the most influence on me. Most of the stuff I fondly remember is from around there.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

It depends on the variant of the name you use too.

Perfect/Hennig is WWF

Road Warriors / LOD are WWF

Duggan is WWF

Heenan is WWF

Gonzales/Gigante is WWF

Giant/Big Show, I really struggle to see as the same person, it's very tricky to say.

Arn Anderson - very strange. I first came across him and Tully as the brain busters and never really watched WCW until 96 and thought, that's Arn from the brain busters. I appreciate he is clearly WCW first, but I think of brain busters before horsemen.

• Paid Members

This thread is a little bit like how some people (normally those younger than yourself) will always be remembered a particular age no matter how old they get. I'm wondering if there are particular title belts that you could associate certain wrestlers with, even though they may have won several? When HWM mentioned Bret in WCW I just think of him as the WWF IC champion. Which is odd as he was the heavyweight champion for so much longer!

Kurt Angle is TNA for me. Guys like Booker and Christian, I watched them thinking, they're just stopping for a cup of coffee, they'll go back to WWE. The more I watch Angle, the more I think he's not going back to WWE, he's embraced being part of the TNA roster so much, and it's much easier schedule-wise on his body.

Jeff Hardy is always WWE though, and it'll always be MR. KENNEDY! to me.

Kennedy.

Interesting thread and it's strange seeing some say they see Hogan as more of a WCW guy than a WWF guy because I kinda feel the same way as I only properly started watching wrestling in the very late 90s, I had seen Hogan in the WWF prior to that though so for me Hogan can't totally be put in one company, I see him as a mixture of WWF and WCW.

Ric Flair to me is a NWA/WCW guy.

RVD obviously ECW.

The Dudleys ECW.

Tazz ECW.

Nash and Hall WCW.

Benoit, Jericho, Guerrero are similar to Hogan, they were in WCW when I first got into wrestling but then not too long after (maybe a year) they all began heading to WWF so to me they're a mix too really of WCW and WWF/E. I do also know they were ECW guys but for me ECW isn't one of the things I think of straight away when I see them.

Booker T I see more as a WCW guy.

Big Show is WWF.

Christian, Jeff Hardy, Matt Hardy, Lita I consider all WWF.

Jerry Lawler and JR I think of WWF, although I must say I always think of Memphis with The King too, probably due to him not wrestling much anymore and I only really saw him as a commentator in WWF/E who would wrestle every now and then, also I associate him with his feud with Andy Kaufman which occurred in Memphis, mainly due to being a big Kaufman fan and the feud with Lalwer was just incredible.

Bret Hart, despite being in WCW when I first began watching and not being back in the WWE until recent I actually consider more a WWF guy, I suppose due to not seeing too much of him in WCW and I saw a lot of his work in WWF through DVDs.

Mr Kennedy, should be obvious as I used that name, is a WWE guy to me, although I am starting to associate him with TNA more and more. Angle in the same way.

Jeff Jarrett, totally a WWF guy, his feud with Chyna, the Intercontinental Title, Debra, he was a solid upper mid carder there when I got into wrestling, now though I obviously know he is a TNA guy but his past in WWF sorta splits it for me in a similar way to Hogan etc. Wouldn't consider him a WCW guy at all.

Mene Gene I see as more of a WCW guy, not hard to believe though as he was there when I first got into wrestling in a big way and never really made too many appearances for WWF/E after that.

Tara is Victoria, Mickie James and Gail Kim, I see them all as WWE.

Sting WCW.

There's so many you could do this all day, but basically I think it comes down to when you first got into wrestling as a regular fan who watched week in week out, plus other factors such as if you watched a lot of DVDs showcasing certain wrestlers in certain companies. It is interesting to see how one fan associates a wrestler with one company yet another fan associates them with a completely different one. Also interesting thinking about a wrestler and not being able to put them in one company, such as Hogan for me.

Kurt Angle was one of the first that sprung into my head as really being a TNA guy these days than a former WWE guy.

The other was The Dudleys/ Team 3D who have been in TNA now since 2005 so they have been there longer than WWE and to be honest I cant remember much of there run there past 2000/2001 being too great. However they are still just about as a tag team ECW guys to me but there singles stuff in TNA is changing things I think.

Nigel McGunniess to a lot of people will be ROH but I still just see Desmond Wolfe, I think it is the hair.

There are people I flip flop between to like Rey Mysterio who could be a WCW guy but his WWE run is probably where he has had most of his sucess

I think it comes down to length of time in promotion, how much they did and what they have done since.

Jeff Jarrett will always be USWA for me - thanks to reading wrestling magazine articles of his exploits and seeing him listed as USWA Southern Champion so many times in PWI. Same with Jerry Lawler.

Ron Simmons will always be WCW to me, for his time in Doom and his shocking World Title victory over Vader.

For me its usually where I see them first. Big Show has had a long successful career in WWE, but I still see him as a WCW guy because that's where I saw him make it big as The Giant.

Hulk Hogan will always be WCW to me. Not only was he a WCW guy when I started watching but when I watch Hogan matches from the past it is only his matches as part of the NWO that interest me.

Team 3D are certainly TNA guys. Not only did they continue a great legacy as a team facing the likes of Beer Money and MCMG but they have eclipsed their singles runs in WWE over the past year and a half.

Christian is a TNA guy for me. Simply because when I see him now I think of the matches with Jarrett, Abyss and Joe and their respective stories and how he looks past it in comparison these days.

I cant quite believe anyone would think Angle, Christian, the Dudleys etc are TNA guys.

Picking a selection of who has been mentioned i'd associate the following (trying to omit the very obvious)..

WCW

Flair, Sting, Luger, Windham, Sid, The Steiners, Vader, Nash, Hall, DDP, Saturn, Malenko, Booker, Jarrett.

WWF/E

Hogan, Savage, LOD, Curt Hennig, Foley, Austin, Beniot, Eddie, Jericho, Angle, Christian, Hardy

ECW

Funk, Douglas, Raven, RVD, Taz, Dudleys, Rhino

TNA

Jarrett (only person in 2 IMO), AJ, Daniels, Joe, Roode, Storm

I cant quite believe anyone would think Angle, Christian, the Dudleys etc are TNA guys.

Why not? As pointed out, Angle and 3D have had long stints in TNA now, and have in many respects been far more important and in much more prominent positions than in WWE.

Angle is a bit of both I reckon. He's carried on the 'serious' side from his later days in WWE to TNA. His WWE run I'd mostly associate with the comedy stuff he did.

Dudley Boys - WWF probably rather than ECW just because they had such a great run there with all the TLC matches etc. As singles wrestlers though - TNA without a doubt.

Archived