UFC 150: 'Henderson vs Edgar 2'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Yeah I'd say that's a pretty good summary of the fight.

On rewatching I could see where people could give Frankie rounds 1, 3 and 5 under the 10 point system but you could argue that Benson won 4 rounds as well. A fight like that which can clearly be argued either way, isn't a robbery at all.

If that fight was scored under Pride's old criteria though, scoring the fight as a whole rather than round, by round,, Bendo wins for sure. On damage, effort to finish the fight and having Frankie in trouble at the finish.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK I gave Edgar vs Henderson 1 a rewatch last night. Closer than I remembered to be honest. From what I remembered on the night I thought Benson probably took 4 rounds although Frankie was always in it.

Last night I had it 3-2 Benson. Thought Frankie edged round 1. Round 5 is tricky because I thought Frankie was winning the round quite clearly until the last 30 seconds where Benson rocked him with a jumping knee and ended the round, and fight, on top dropping GnP. I still gave Frankie the 5th but the way that round ended with Benson on top looking so dominant probably left an impression on the judges.

I had Benson taking the 2nd and 4th. The 3rd is the decider to me, that was a tight round, could probably go either way So I could see an argument for giving Frankie 3 rounds in there. Interesting. Still thought Bendo won though, he won his rounds more clearly, did more damage and looked fairly close to finishing it on about 3 different occasions.

Great, great fight. Even better than I remembered.

I watched it again and agree with all you say. I can see a 3-2 Benson (1/2/4 Benson) or 4-1 Benson (2-5) score.

• Paid Members

155 lbs.: Ben Henderson (154) vs. Frankie Edgar (154)

Main Card Pay-Per-View (PPV):

155 lbs.: Donald Cerrone (155) vs. Melvin Guillard (157.5)*

185 lbs.: Jake Shields (185) vs. Ed Herman (185)

185 lbs.: Yushin Okami (185) vs. Buddy Roberts (184)

145 lbs.: Justin Lawrence (145) vs. Max Holloway (145)

"Prelims" on FX:

145 lbs.: Dennis Bermudez (145) vs. Tom Hayden (144)

185 lbs.: Jared Hamman (184) vs. Michael Kuiper (185)

135 lbs.: Ken Stone (135) vs. Erik Perez (135)

135 lbs.: Dustin Pague (136) vs. Chico Camus (135)

"Prelims" on Facebook:

145 lbs.: Eiji Mitsuoka (145) vs. Nik Lentz (145)

Melvin missed weight, fight goes on though. It's been a strange little build up for Melvin, first he comes out and openly admits that Cowboy used toe better of him in sparring but he's adopted a new standup style that will alter that. He seems uber-relaxed too, all talk of him and Donald being mates and stuff, now he missed weight. Dunno what to read into it but i don't think this fight bodes well for Melvin.

Yeah, picking against Melvin here, in the prediction league I went Cerrone 2nd round sub. Even if Melvin keeps the fight standing though, it's not that much better for him, the only person to really best Cowboy on the feet in the UFC is Diaz, and even then he was in the fight all the way through. He's mowed through some very capable strikers like Siver and Stephens.

In the main event, going with Henderson by sub in the 3rd. Not basing it on much except hearing about Bendo's fights in the WEC with Cerrone. Close decision win the first time, definitive gullotine win the second time- hoping for the same here. I liked Edgar before, but he's kinda come off as whiny after losing the title. Hoping he loses in a undisputed fashion so he can swallow his pride, quit trying to be Rocky and move down to FW. There's still good fights to be had at LW for Frankie (Guida, Pettis, Diaz), but I don't want him near the title picture at LW, it's old. However, Edgar vs Aldo, Edgar vs Mendes, Zombie, Poirier... sign me up!

Other main card picks: Herman 2nd round TKO, Okami UD, Lawrence 2nd round KO.

Dana's confirmed that Nate Diaz gets the winner :)

I'm fine with either Henderson or Edgar facing Diaz providing they win! Curious to see who the Henderson/Edgar II gets, Henderson/Cerrone III, Henderson vs. Pettis II, Edgar vs. Maynard IV, Edgar vs. Guida or Edgar vs. Lauzon? Edgar goes down to Featherweight? Edgar didn't want to last time around and I understand why.

Hoping Henderson/Edgar II is a Fight of the Year candidate, the top UFC Lightweight fights usually deliver...apart from the Maynard/Guida shite.

I went for Henderson in the first fight, but I'm picking Edgar tonight. I think he'll adjust and win a decision 49-46. I'd rather Henderson won though, I want Edgar to drop down to 145, as good as he is at 155 I think he'd be even better down at 145. I'd also really like to see Henderson vs. Diaz.

My other picks tonight - Cerrone, Shields, Okami and Holloway.

I think that was a really tough fight to score. The term "significant strikes" is such a blurry one. I know that FightMetric has Frankie landing more but I think back on the fight - which I've watched - and my impression is different. I feel like he may have landed clean more often, but that Benson landed the more significant strikes. To me it didn't look like many of Frankie's strikes bothered Bendo at all, whereas when Bendo landed well it had a much more noticeable effect. It was a super, super close fight - they're two of the most closely matched fighters around - but I thought the decision was okay. I certainly don't feel like Edgar was robbed. It was one of those things where, rightly or wrongly, I think if you want to win the title you've got to do a bit more. In fact, I'd go as far as to say if Frankie was the champion going into that fight, and everything happened exactly the same way, he would have won the decision. It's tough for him, I'm sure he'll come back strong.

I scored it for Edgar, round 3 was close, Round 1 Bendo the remainder for Edgar. From what I have read here and elsewhere it seems like most agree with me, the people I watched it with also scored it for Edgar.

Edgar moving down would be nice and maybe even a name challenger for Aldo in the future, to go along with Zombie. Eric Koch maybe very talented but his name is not exactly box office.

Bendo vs Nate should be a barnburner, I hope Nate beats him and think he has a very decent chance, he showed improved wrestling defense against Jim Miller and I think he can out box Bendo, in fact at 155lbs I think he is the best boxer. On the ground he is a submission threat although I think if Nate were to win it would be by TKO, Bendo's best chance is to overwelm the lanky Diaz in the clinch and smother him on the ground for a another points win.

Cerrone was impressive to come back like that after being hurt, him and Pettis is now a very interesting and fun match-up that should co headline a PPV.

Jake Shields was Jake Shields, although he did land a very good left hook on Herman in the 3rd, not fun too watch but he got the job done against a decent challenge, he is much better of at 185lbs.

Max Hollaway is a very interesting prospect, alongwith Jimmy Hettes I think the two of them are the most promising young guns in the UFC.

Archived