2012/2013 Scottish Football Thread

David

• Paid Members

It's early to be saying it, but if he finds a set of balls and ends up going for 2 up front and won't patch things up with Fletcher, then Rhodes and Watt will be the future pairing.

Or Miller on his own again.

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The issue with Strachan is that some things won't change radically. Remember that he also thought Gary Caldwell could play in the centre of midfield, which he obstinately stood by until Celtic finally won a game with him there (I remember the figures being dismal and I think the only game we did remotely well with Caldwell at CM was the Old Firm League Cup final where we won 2-0 in 2009).

Other than that, I think he's the man for the job for the simple reason that he isn't afraid to try new things: a philosophy that would put the shitters right up Levein. Si mentioned Tony Watt: someone like that with a bright future is far more likely to get the opportunity under Strachan. Again I refer to his time at Celtic for supporting evidence; the Champions League home game against Man Utd in 2008 where he played an immensely raw Cillian Sheridan up front with Scott McDonald instead of packing the midfield/defence.

The issue with Strachan is that some things won't change radically. Remember that he also thought Gary Caldwell could play in the centre of midfield, which he obstinately stood by until Celtic finally won a game with him there (I remember the figures being dismal and I think the only game we did remotely well with Caldwell at CM was the Old Firm League Cup final where we won 2-0 in 2009).

Other than that, I think he's the man for the job for the simple reason that he isn't afraid to try new things: a philosophy that would put the shitters right up Levein. Si mentioned Tony Watt: someone like that with a bright future is far more likely to get the opportunity under Strachan. Again I refer to his time at Celtic for supporting evidence; the Champions League home game against Man Utd in 2008 where he played an immensely raw Cillian Sheridan up front with Scott McDonald instead of packing the midfield/defence.

Even though Strachan was very successful at Celtic, his team always bored me. They just didn't entertain me at all. Their style of play was monotonous.

• Paid Members

Even though Strachan was very successful at Celtic, his team always bored me. They just didn't entertain me at all. Their style of play was monotonous.

It was certainly far more attractive than anything the previously mentioned Souness, Calderwood, Pa Broon or Levein could get out of a team though.

Is entertainment the priority just now? Walter Smith's team was manky but it got results. Strachan's teams were a bit uninspiring at times (I think it was Bertie Auld who said Celtic would have been European champions if the aim was to pass the ball from side to side) but one thing that can't be discounted is that Strachan's teams had heart by the bucketload. Countless last minute winners in his tenure. I think the national team could do with a bit of that.

Is entertainment the priority just now? Walter Smith's team was manky but it got results. Strachan's teams were a bit uninspiring at times (I think it was Bertie Auld who said Celtic would have been European champions if the aim was to pass the ball from side to side) but one thing that can't be discounted is that Strachan's teams had heart by the bucketload. Countless last minute winners in his tenure. I think the national team could do with a bit of that.

Entertainment is not the priority, no. I was simply saying I didn't enjoy his style of play. Nothing more, nothing less.

I was driving up the road so never saw any of the match but hearing Pandev was dominating play was depressing. The thought occurred to those on the radio that perhaps he should be man marked. Really? All the play is coming through one player and perhaps we should stick someone on him and take him out of the game (in terms of play, not injure him)? Course we should.

They were discussing how we were in a much better place than compared to Berti's time in charge. Can you have it both ways? You can't say that Levein has an infinitely better squad and he is doing a better job than Berti, surely? Berti was often criticised and got us to the play-offs and 90 minutes from a major tournament. Surely, if Levein is a better manager and has a better squad we should be matching that. I'm not delusional and think we are going to win groups. But - depending on the group - I see no reason why we cannot challenge for a play-off spot on a regular basis. That looks a distant dream at the moment.

Oh, big enough to hold my hands up and say I was surprised Miller started.

Archived