2012/2013 Scottish Football Thread

David

The new season kicks off on August 4th, which is just over a week away, so lets look forward to the new season. Opening day fixtures are as follows;

Celtic vs Aberdeen

Hearts vs St Johnstone

Kilmarnock vs Dundee

Ross County vs Motherwell

St Mirren vs Inverness

Dundee United vs Hibernian

I can't see any information on television games for the first week, but the Dundee United game is on Sunday, so that may be a hint.

Rangers start their season this weekend in the Scottish League Challenge cup against Brechin City at Glebe Park. It'll be interesting to see what kind of side they finally have come gameday.

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'm quite confident for the coming season. We are one of the few teams that have strengthened over the Summer. Adding McGinn and Hayes to the squad is a huge boost.

Perhaps another defender is needed but I see no reason why we shouldn't be pushing for 2nd place to get the honour of being knocked out in the Champions League preliminary round.

I'm quite confident for the coming season.

I remember when I used to feel that way. This season I'll be more than happy with a top six finish and maybe even a decent cup run. As for Europe, we've got Panathinaikos in the Champions League qualifiers, and then we'll hopefully get a bit of a glamour tie in the Europa qualifiers after that.

• Paid Members

I remember when I used to feel that way. This season I'll be more than happy with a top six finish and maybe even a decent cup run. As for Europe, we've got Panathinaikos in the Champions League qualifiers, and then we'll hopefully get a bit of a glamour tie in the Europa qualifiers after that.

I just think that for Aberdeen with Hayes & McGinn added to the signings from the tail end of last season (Rae and Hughes) there is no reason why we shouldn't be up there pushing for 2nd place.

• Paid Members

We can talk about lower-league Scottish football in here right?

I saw this on Twitter earlier....

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/football-news/article/2860603

RANGERS' players continued their summer programme this morning by taking to the brand new Ibrox pitch for the first time to train.

In sunny conditions at the stadium, the group warmed up on the magnificent surface then took part in three 30-minute matches while they remain unable to play pre-season friendlies.

In the first game, boss Ally McCoist picked two fairly evenly-matched sides containing both first-team regulars from last term and youth players.

Teenager Barrie McKay gave the team without bibs a lead before Kal Naismith struck twice in a couple of minutes to turn the contest on its head and give his group a 2-1 win.

In the second fixture, McCoist mixed the group up and introduced midfielder Andrew Murdoch for trialist Ian Black as he continues his comeback from a hernia operation.

The former Hearts player showed some nice touches while he was on the park and looked composed, with fellow ex-Jambo Craig Beattie also making a contribution.

With personnel changes made, the non-bibbed team was something close to the starting XI which will play Brechin on Sunday if a transfer of the old company's SFA membership is granted.

And it was no surprise the more experienced side won, with Alejandro Bedoya notching a double prior to McKay's second of the day in a 3-0 victory.

Manager McCoist was vocal throughout as he shouted instructions to his players from the Directors Box.

The final game of the day had less incidents to report as the two teams played out a 2-0 win for the bibbed side, with Kirk Broadfoot and Lee McCulloch scoring.

BIBS (first game): Gallacher; Cole, Goian, Hegarty, Wallace; Bedoya, Wiktorski, Hutton, Edu, Crawford; Naismith.

NON-BIBS (first game): Alexander; Broadfoot, Gasparotto, Bocanegra, Clarke; Mitchell, Black, Macleod; Beattie, McCulloch, McKay.

Come on you BIBS! :laugh:

Bollocks to that. I'm hoping you get an absolute diddy team in the Europa qualifiers so you can get into the group stage and get a handful of glamour ties. I don't normally like Motherwell much at all, but I feel really sorry for them this season. How many other managers in Europe have had their chairman say "hey! Congratulations on miraculously steering us into the Champions League! Now slash your budget." I'm actually thinking of becoming a Motherwell supporter this season. Of all the teams that need a wee bit of extra help, they might be at the top of the list. Inverness will get a wee boost from the Ross County rivalry, Dundee Utd get a leg-up from Dundee, Aberdeen fans will turn out just to spite Rangers, Hearts and Hibs will probably ride a wee wave on the back of the Cup fun from last season, Celtic will likely carry on as normal and Killie deserve nothing for voting Yes. Motherwell are just in a really, really tough spot.

• Paid Members
They would be really lucky to get a "diddy" team looking who's in the draw.

We got Dnipro a few seasons back and with a slice of luck got through to the group stages (and more). Motherwell surely could manage similar?

Bollocks to that. I'm hoping you get an absolute diddy team in the Europa qualifiers so you can get into the group stage and get a handful of glamour ties. I don't normally like Motherwell much at all, but I feel really sorry for them this season. How many other managers in Europe have had their chairman say "hey! Congratulations on miraculously steering us into the Champions League! Now slash your budget." I'm actually thinking of becoming a Motherwell supporter this season. Of all the teams that need a wee bit of extra help, they might be at the top of the list. Inverness will get a wee boost from the Ross County rivalry, Dundee Utd get a leg-up from Dundee, Aberdeen fans will turn out just to spite Rangers, Hearts and Hibs will probably ride a wee wave on the back of the Cup fun from last season, Celtic will likely carry on as normal and Killie deserve nothing for voting Yes. Motherwell are just in a really, really tough spot.

The problem is, in the past we had a chairman who could finance the club when times were tough, but we now officially have no chairman. The club is going through the conversion to the fan-run 'Well Society', which will see a fan-appointed board.

This couldn't have happened at a worse time to be honest.

Archived