UFC 149: Faber vs. Barao

Egg Shen

Who Wins?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

. But it's probably the only cases where he encountered fighting guys with a seemingly impenetrable stance. Aldo and Barao just seem to shrug off any type of takedown attempt with ease,...then add in a destructive and very disciplined striking style, it's just a bad night for Faber, it's a bad night for anyone.

Replace Aldo and Barao with Liddel in this post and it is was the same for Ortiz with Liddel in the climate of UFC in 2006.

Anyway I dont want to repeat myself and go round in circles so I will leave it at that.

:thumbsup:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

anyways, here's a few other quick thoughts on the show:

* It's unfortunate that the main event followed two (3 if you include the Ebersole/Head fight) very poor fights. The crowd at that point just wanted fireworks, they wasn't ready for the technical battle they were given, bit of a shame but it was by no means as bad as some people are making out.

I think it became apparent early on that Faber simply couldn't hurt Barao and the fight sort of fell into a rythym, and the fight kinda played out at the same pace for 5 rounds. The bullshit chants were unwarranted though...and were the audience really chanting 'refund?'

* The undercard as Dana White pointed out was excellent. If you came into the show just watching the main card you're gonna be disappointed but you really needed to check out the undercard, up until the Riddle/Clements fight it was probably on course to being the card of the year, and i aint joking. I feel even more sorry for the fans that went to the show and probably didn't turn up until the main card started.

* Riddle/Clements was laughed at when it was put on the main card but it really delivered. I said before hand that Riddle earned his place based on his recent performances, he leaves it all out there. Matt Riddle just arrived! :laugh: i think most people would now rather see Riddle/Hardy in England.

* Glad they gave Gagnon/Carraway fight of the night. The UFC usually overlooks the prelims and give a lesser fight on the main card fight of the night, so i really thought Riddle/Clements was gonna get, but props for giving the right fight the nod (for once). Great fight.

* Kongo/Jordan was fucking horrible. It was a pure clinch battle, Dana White complained that the ref's need to step in and seperate the fighters but in this case it wouldn't have made any difference, the fighters had enough chances and even did seperate enough, they just kept falling into the clinch. Just a poor, poor fight. Cheick Kongo has had some fucking stinkers over the years, people still get excited when they see his name but he rarely warrants the excitement.

* Speaking of refs...Josh Rosenthal made his 2nd big mistake in a week, sucks but he's still one of my favorite refs in the sport.

* Ryan Jimmo's KO was great...Fransisco Rivera must be gutted though cause i think on another other night his KO of Delorme would have taken the honors, he looked awesome.

* I enjoyed Ebersole/Head, but Brian Ebersole finally paid the price for being so fucking relaxed, he's almost too comfortable in there. I think Ebersole is so good defensively that he fights without any kind of fear so he just chills out in there and tries to pull off his funky shit, its interesting to watch and that's why i found the fight entertaining but he needs to put his foot on the gas at times. Maybe with the move to 155lb coming up Ebersole simply wasn't that bothered but you can't help feel that he let this one slip away. Imagine if he'd gone to 155lb at 5-0? he could have gone straight in to a massive fight.

* Lombard/Boetsch...holy fucking shit! I don't even know what to say about this. Score-wise i aint got a f'n clue, i might have given it Lombard but i seriously didn't care. What the hell was Lombard doing? The UFC did a brilliant job of hyping this monster coming in, then he stayed static and threw the odd pot shot, just a horrible performance. It harmed the show, it harmed Lombard and it also reflects bad on Bellator. Just a weird fight. Has there been a worse high profile debut in UFC history?

As for Boetsch, he fought with a broken foot so that might go someway to explaining his bad performance, but he was probably as baffled by Lombard's performance as anyone, one he noticed Lombard wasn't coming forward it probably made Boetsch tear up the gameplan.

• Paid Members

just listened to the MMA Hour with Urijah Faber and agreed with something Urijah said...Joe Rogan making up his own storyline during the fight, i was thinking this whilst watching it and it's another case of the power commentators have over the viewers, Rogan was bumbling on about the leg kicks and how it was slowing Faber down and how he was visibly limping in what was becoming a repeat of the Aldo fight. Faber can't understand why Rogan was going down that root because he wasn't bothered by the kicks (which were few and far between). I think it was Rogan clutching at straws in what was a difficult fight to call.

Rogan goes off on one sometimes.

yeh, he was simply outstruck. But it's probably the only cases where he encountered fighting guys with a seemingly impenetrable stance. Aldo and Barao just seem to shrug off any type of takedown attempt with ease,...then add in a destructive and very disciplined striking style, it's just a bad night for Faber, it's a bad night for anyone.

Are you simply forgetting the Cruz fight?

• Paid Members

no, i mentioned the Cruz fight in my previous post. The Cruz fight was a lot closer than the Aldo/Barao fights, some had Faber taking the 2nd Cruz fight.

He was basically shut out in the other two, what i was trying to say was the Nova Uni

• Paid Members

It was more than that there were 3 boring fights on the bounce, add in one of the worst debuts in UFC history and you can't blame the fans for being agitated.

Wonder if it harms the UFC's chances of going back to Calgary?

The Main Event was not terrible, but it was not to a level to where it made up for the three fights before it. Hence the booing from a restless and annoyed crowd.

I have Kongo vs Jordan and Lombard vs Botesh down as worst fight of the year contenders. Ebersole going for 4567 failed takedowns also made for a boring fight.

The opener was excellent, I may have seen worse shows and to be fair UFC do not usually have many really bad shows. This one is the worse is quite a while.

My theory is that he gets bored in there and just starts messing around. That or he further wanted to show people how he cannot be choked and was baiting Head to try and guillotine him of the takedown.

On the ground he would have had more of an advantage, shown by how he mounted Head in the closing moments, but he tried that straight takedown so many times he must have known he was not going to get it. maybe he was hoping for a scramble of it where he would end up on top.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Ebersole was really frustrating to watch. I don't know what it was, why he kept going for a slow motion, telegraphed, weak as fuck shot like that. Even after failing about 100 times before he still kept going to it. Odd.

I actually thought, maybe he was burnt out or overtrained. He fought TJ Waldburger in June and then stepped in on short notice for this fight with Head. All that combined with him trying to drop weight. Maybe it's all just took something out of him. He needs a break maybe.

If he's serious about dropping to 155 he should probably take some time out, do it slowly and get Mike Dolce in for some advice.

Archived