The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

What's going on with Joe Duffy? He lost to Poirier in January, rebounded spectacularly with a 25 second submission over Mitch Clarke in July...then fuck all since. Not a peep. I never heard anything about him being injured or anything and you'd have thought he'd have been a no brainer for the 205 card given the big Irish population in New York. Or the Belfast card.

Anyone know more?

Edit - never mind, it appears he's having contract negotiation issues with the UFC. That's what's holding things up. He reckons he'll be testing free agency.

• Paid Members

Yeah, an article I read said that the UFC wanted him on last week's Belfast show but he said the opponent they were offering him did nothing for him. And he wanted to negotiate a little pay increase and it sounds like they weren't having it.

That loss to Poirier really hurt his bargaining power. It seemed like if he kept going the way he was going, him and Conor were on a collision course and a rematch seemed inevitable. Especially now they're in the same weight class and Conor's champ at 155. Poirier really ruined his momentum.

Yeah I listened to Duffy on the MMA Hour. I think if memory serves me right he had the last fight of his contract still to come, and he's reluctant to just step in with just anyone before testing free agency.  It seems the way most fighters are going - but you have to question the added pressure that it brings.  If you don't chalk off a W in your last fight - I cannot see a midcard figher's value increasing - same promotion or competitor. 

Speaking of free agency, remember when everyone thought guys would just move over and make money on sponsors? Well Bensoñ Henderson said he made less money fighting in a WW title shot than he would under the Reebok deal. He has dicided to go without because he was being offered $2000 a patch.

Joe Warren can't even get that and he's a two weight world champion.

That doesn't mean everybody will, I assume someone like Mittreone might get more because he's a heavyweight and fighting Fedor and maybe a few more.

• Paid Members

There's a conference thingy tomorrow with an announcement that's supposedly going to be 'industry redefining'. The names involved tomorrow are Georges St Pierre, Cain Velasquez, Donald Cerrone, Tim Kennedy, TJ Dillashaw...and Bjorn Rebney.

The MMA Junkie article suggests it's probably something to do with organising some kind of fighters union. And with GSP and Cerrone's names popping up, that makes sense because they've probably been the two most vocal big name fighters, along with Mark Hunt, about the sport needing a union. Hilarious that fucking Rebney's name has cropped up though. Considering the fighters rights seemed to be the furthest thing from his mind when he was in the big seat at Bellator HQ.

• Paid Members

Just catching up with the MMA hour from this week. Tony Ferguson states his preference is to fight Khabib over Conor next and that it doesn't matter to him who he fights next.

What an idiot. Must hate money.

• Paid Members

Aye. Helwani has been losing his mind every week since Ferguson won against RDA and did his best not to get the McGregor fight next.

Seeing as McGregor is off until May, the Khabib fight for the no. 1 contender spot is probably on the cards anyway, should Khabib not go full AKA with his training. Certainly, if I was UFC I'd be looking to squeeze some of the McGregor buzz out of a no. 1 contender match while he's busy shitting himself about his kid.

• Paid Members

Seeing as McGregor is off until May, the Khabib fight for the no. 1 contender spot is probably on the cards anyway, should Khabib not go full AKA with his training. Certainly, if I was UFC I'd be looking to squeeze some of the McGregor buzz out of a no. 1 contender match while he's busy shitting himself about his kid.

Yeah, completely. But when someone asks you who you want next and you've got a reason to say Conor Mcgregor ... surely you do everything in your power to sell your reponse of Conor Mcgregor.

Unless you hate money.

• Paid Members

Without question in that post fight interview for Ferguson after he beat RDA, that was the time to say Mcgregor given the approaching 205 card. No one knew then about the break we know now. 

However, now? The fact Mcgregor is already out I think there's more kudos for the man having the balls going after considered by many the most dangerous fighter on the planet. 

There's no need to say Mcgregor now because if he beats Khabib, then would face Mcgregor by default anyway. 

Khabib has his own MMA team called Eagle MMA, Has him, his brother, Vitaly Minakov (undefeated former Bellator Heavyweight champion) the WSOF Flyweight champion and a few more Russians all paid for by a Russian Billionaire.

All those fighters mentioned like GSP & Cerone are managed by CAA, which is WME IMG's main rival

• Paid Members

Brennan Ward/Paul Daley is set for Bellator 170 (the same night as Sonnen/Ortiz), hell of a fight. Hisaki Kato and Ralek Gracie has also been announced for the show, random as fuck. That's shaping up to be a must-see show.

Archived