The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

TBH if Bisping/Diaz was for the title has there ever been a more undeserving challenger. 0-3 in his last 3, 0 wins at the weight class, 0 wins in 5 years etc.

I'd like to see Nick fight his way back in to contention at 170 without getting banned before earning a title shot and Bisping fight someone/anyone ranked at 185 for the title. He has had his cash in fight against Dan now lets move on. I thought the GSP call out was ok, calling out Nick Diaz though is small time and just makes him look like he knows he is on borrowed time as champ.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

it's wild to think that Diaz hasn't won a fight in 5 years, i know he's been seriously inactive but it's still a long time. Bisping seems to be wanting to cash in whilst he has the chance, im not someone who usually moans about who has title shots and stuff but there's no way they can let Diaz have a shot, and there's no way they can do a non-title catch-weight type deal, if Diaz won it was completely devalue the title.

and there's no way they can do a non-title catch-weight type deal, if Diaz won it was completely devalue the title.

I think they can. While it occurred under different circumstances, they let McGregor take on Nate Diaz while McGregor was Featherweight Champion. Nick Diaz is on a 3 fight skid - but those losses came against GSP, Condit, and Anderson. In fact, the Anderson loss has been scratched from his record due to the positive tests.  

I don't think that casuals will care about Diaz's inactivity, and would probably lap up a fight with Bisping. We live in an era where MMA fans are selective with their money, but are willing to spend it when the the right fights are made, regardless of rankings or title implications. 

Edit: They also let Anderson take on Forrest Griffin and James Irvin while he was Middleweight kingpin. This wouldn't be anything new.

• Paid Members

fair point, it just feels like the situation's are different here though. McGregor/Diaz was originally thrown to together because the initial title fight between McGregor/RDA fell apart, and Silva was basically given fodder to destroy (imagine if he'd lost though!). Who knows? McGregor/Diaz has changed everything because it's all about the big money now.

Fuck it, do it. Bisping vs. Diaz.

I'd like to see Diaz destroy Bisping in a non-title special attraction fight, that'd make my year. Hopefully in a more one-sided fashion that Nate beat Conor. Give Bisping's future opponents ammo for ages.

Bisping is like the Rey Mysterio of UFC champions. Been around for ages, has a loyal fanbase, but no one considers him the best in the world. Like Rey, Bisping got to the title through a series of fortunate circumstances.

After thinking about it a bit, I think Bisping vs Diaz would be a more fruitful version of Silva vs Irvin. If Diaz were to light up Bisping in a non-title affair, it wouldn't be that bad for the UFC. It would propel Diaz - who is still a massive star - into title contention at either Middleweight or Welterweight. The less desirable scenario still helps the UFC's pocketbook - and more importantly - caters to the masses's tastes. 

In retrospect, Silva vs Irvin was a bigger risk. They booked it to counter the Affliction PPV headlined by Fedor vs Sylvia. It was an interesting fight, but what if Irvin would have somehow won? If Bisping loses to Diaz, there's no giant aura that's been destroyed. Bisping is on a mighty run, but he's not a P4P kingpin or dominant Champion like Silva was in 2008.  Not only would a Irvin victory harmed Silva's reputation, but it's unlikely to have transformed Irvin into someone the masses wanted to see to a great extent. It would have decreased interest in Silva's fights - which were struggling to gain interest at the time anyway - without much reward. 

• Paid Members

That's actually a decent spot for Rockhold to be stuck in. Almost gives him extra, better options when he returns with how it may all pan out while he's recovering. The smug cunt.

• Paid Members

Luke Rockhold is injured and out of his fight with Jacare at UFC Melbourne. Bet Bisping suddenly has a reason that he can't step in.

With good reason too Shane. Why would he step in for a fight that's not even on ppv, thus reducing his earnings against a no name fighter like Jacare? Stepping in against GSP or Diaz carries little risk as it's a huge pay day for him, and that's something that's few and far between at this stage in his career.

Luke Rockhold is injured and out of his fight with Jacare at UFC Melbourne. Bet Bisping suddenly has a reason that he can't step in.

With good reason too Shane. Why would he step in for a fight that's not even on ppv, thus reducing his earnings against a no name fighter like Jacare? Stepping in against GSP or Diaz carries little risk as it's a huge pay day for him, and that's something that's few and far between at this stage in his career.

From a business perspective, it makes all the sense in the world to not step in. However, from a sporting perspective, you have the current champ actively looking to fight on the card a week later, and now he's got the chance to fight the no. 1 or 2 contender. While looking for money fights is smart, Bisping will deserve all the criticism in the world if he's almost begging to fight people that haven't fought in 3 years, yet balks at the opportunity to save a card and fight the top contender.

It would suck for Melbourne but they could move Jacare to UFC206 for a title shot. I'm sure Jacare would be well up for it. I'm sure Bisping would be too as he seems desperate to fight on 206 and said he is'nt afraid of anyone.....

That would be a great fight and bolster 206. I'd much rather see that than Bisping/Diaz and Jacare/tba.

I think Bisping's only out for the money fights, he knows his run as champ is limited. I don't think he'd accept fighting Jacare, at least not without a full training camp.

As for Melbourne, I don't overly care if they get shafted or not. Between UFC events, and getting steel cages and WWE Network cameras for their NXT event, I'm pretty bitter towards that city at the moment. If it were happening in Sydney, totally different story. But the USA doesn't seem to consider Sydney a major city anymore, so, yeah.

They could move something off UFC 205, are say Meisha Tate Vs Racquel Pennington or Rashad Evans (from up state New York not anywhere near MSG) Vs Tim Kennedy over to headline the card? 205 is hardly going to suffer by losing these fights but if they can get visas they are decent headline bouts for Australia.

Bisping fights Jacare at 206 and makes that a proper PPV.

• Paid Members

From a business perspective, it makes all the sense in the world to not step in. However, from a sporting perspective, you have the current champ actively looking to fight on the card a week later, and now he's got the chance to fight the no. 1 or 2 contender. While looking for money fights is smart, Bisping will deserve all the criticism in the world if he's almost begging to fight people that haven't fought in 3 years, yet balks at the opportunity to save a card and fight the top contender.

From a sporting perspective it makes zero sense either.

If you are looking at it like that, then sporting means for both opponents to be on equal footing.

Bisping has just come off an absolute battering only a few short weeks ago and stepping into the cage, as champion, taking all the risk for little pay, whilst having little to no fight camp, isn't sporting at all to him.

Only an idiot would would look down on him for refusing to step up.

Archived