The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a heads up reminder...

The UFC Rewards programme closes tomorrow, Oct 15. You might want to redeem whatever points you have left for whatever you can get.

There's not a lot on offer unless you've really been working for it, but I just cashed-in for a couple of 1 Month Fight Pass subscriptions based purely on having played the Fantasy Pick 'Em game. Maybe some of you have some more points racked up and can get the Ronda Rousey standee or Chris Camozzi autograph you've always dreamed of.

• Paid Members

The 'Korean Superboy' Doo Ho Choi is fighting Cub Swanson at UFC 206. Big step up for the Superboy there but I really can't wait for this fight.

Love the VanZant vs Waterson booking as well.

And I'm hoping Ronda comes back and smashes Nunes. I really like Nunes but I'm more of a Rousey fan and the division has been a bit of a shambles in her absence. I've got a bad feeling about it though. I've heard nothing that she's changing up her camp, nothing that she's getting rid of Edmond the Shitehawk and Nunes is no warm up fight to return to.

• Paid Members

Fuck, Carwin is some kind of freak isn't he? That was his weak arm for fuck's sake!

What was the crack with him fighting one armed? I mean, for that other guy's sake thank fuck he did. The left flattened him, the right would've probably turned him to dust.

Is Carwin still on about a UFC comeback? I'm up for that. He only ever lost twice, and they were to Brock and JDS. The rest was all first round demolition jobs. It was injuries that fucked him over more than anything. I'd like to see him back in there, for as long as his body holds up. Heavyweight could always do with a new face in the mix. Or in this case, an old one.

Just hope they don't book poor Bigfoot against him. I bet they will.

• Paid Members

Is it just me that finds Perry annoying as fuck? I thought he looked dreadful against Danny Roberts. Zero footwork, zero head movement. Just stood there and relied on his chin to hold up until he landed something big. Matt Brown will blow through him, he's on another level.

• Paid Members

What exactly happened with Carwin? I was only a bit of a part-time fan during his UFC run, so only remember him being the guy that smashed Mir then very nearly ruined the fun when he killed Lesnar; a legit monster.

Was is down to one specific injury, or did his body just fall apart and wasn't into it anymore?

• Paid Members

Pretty sure he had a pretty serious back or neck injury. Carwin's getting up there in age so it's strange to see him come back. He was always limited as a fighter but he has ridiculous power, Carwin fights were always fun to watch.

• Paid Members

Ah right, ta. Shame his body failed him because he had that Rumble Johnson aura about him, which is obviously easy to market for a big heavyweight.

As a slight aside, I watched the Lesnar/Carwin match before 200. It wasn't the total mauling I seem to remember. While Lesnar did get smashed for a chunk of the first, he did a far better job covering up and what not, as I remember just a complete battering with the ref doing Lesnar/UFC a favour. It goes to show what a silly chin Lesnar has on him too, because that version of Carwin is probably killing most men, but Lesnar took it and had enough about him to avoid a lot of it.

I can see Carwin getting back in the UFC, if he works at it, because the heavyweight division is full of old war-scarred pros. Particularly if the injuries haven't robbed him of that freak power he has.

Archived