The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

This is a but of a mad suggestion but with the interest the Punk fight got, and Bellators business model, do we see them making a play for any WWE guys who are on the outs/disenchanted with the way things are?

If Punk ends up there, it may open the flood gates.

• Paid Members

I've no idea of the legalities of the whole thing, but if I'm Scott Coker then I'm doing everything I possibly can to book a Chael Sonnen vs. Wanderlei Silva fight.

I'm pretty sure it will happen, as if i'm not mistaken, Silva's ban ends spring next year?

On top of that, if they wanted it to happen earlier, they could make it happen over here. I can guarantee Sonnen vs Silva would sell out the o2 arena.

That said, I'm not sure how the NAC will feel if they did go ahead with the fight as the normal protocol is for promotions to respect their bans all over the world. 

The signing is a strange one, especially from the UFC's perspective. The fanny Front Row Brian claims Sonnen past the USADA tests to re-enter competiton, so if that is the case, I find it odd the UFC allowed him to leave. Furthermore the comments he made were strange implying that Sonnen was going somewhere where he was finally valued and respected. 

For the UFC to allow him to leave freely, either suggests they don't want anything to do with him as he's a walking time bomb, or they respect what he did for the company coupled with the fact Dana likes him and secretly knows he probably can't pass the USADA program in the long term. On top of that Dana knows Sonnen has suffered lately with the loss of his baby.

• Paid Members

Yeah, you have to think Coker's thinking Chael vs Wandy in 2017.

I like it. To be honest, as much as I like Chael, I don't think he hangs in the UFC anymore. Either at 205 or 185. Outside of the Nick Diaz fight that was probably never happening anyway, there's not really anything I badly want to see of Chael in the UFC anymore. But fights with Wanderlei, Tito and Rampage in Bellator are the type of fights he should be in at this stage. Perfect signing for Bellator.

• Paid Members

I think there were more than the Diaz fights in the UFC for Sonnen, but I agree there's more in Bellator for him.

There's no way he could hang with the beasts of 185llbs in the UFC, but there was still the possibility of seeing a 3rd Anderson Silva fight, the long sought after (from Sonnen) Belfort fight, Bisping rematch and also the above mentioned Diaz fight. On top of that Sonnen always mentioned he wanted the GSP fight too. 

• Paid Members

The Wand fight is the money. Wonder if they bother sticking that one on PPV?

Thing with Sonnen as well, given how smooth and confident a talker he is, you can see him slotting into that "voice of Bellator" role UFC were apparently thinking about giving him. Inside and out he'll be worth all the shiny gold coins and drug test failures that will come his way.

• Paid Members

Stick Sonnen in the colour commentator role for Bellator and bring Jimmy Smith into the UFC as Rogan's replacement when he does step away.

I like Rogan's commentary most of the time but I'd say he's at least only the third best colour commentator in MMA at the moment. Brian Stann and Jimmy Smith have left him in the dust for me. I've got a feeling Chael P would be better than Rogan as well actually.

This is a but of a mad suggestion but with the interest the Punk fight got, and Bellators business model, do we see them making a play for any WWE guys who are on the outs/disenchanted with the way things are?

If Punk ends up there, it maybe open the flood gates.

They have Lashley who is one of their best heavyweights (the division is terrible and the unbeaten champ is trying to join the UFC) They may make a play for Del Rio, he's Mexican and has a decent enough MMA record, so they wouldn't need to bring in a rookie.

Jimmy Smith sounds, looks and dresses a lot like Rogan and the part when either guy is hyping a fight in a pre-recorded interview, just seems the exact same, I think the UFC did it first but may not have but it does feel the exact same though.

Chael has did a few WSOF events, he's not great, he's not terrible either though.

• Paid Members

Yeah but I think in time Chael would be a great commentator. Remember those were his first goes at announcing. Rogan was shit when he first started in around 2002.

If Frank Mir was still doing colour I'd probably rank him #1. As much as I loathe the prick, he was a brilliant colour commentator IMO.

Frank Mir was good except when Miguel Torres was fighting, felt like he was his biggest fan boy.

I would like a promotion to copy the big US boxing fights, were you have the play by play, the analyst and the former fighter, the UFC did it a few times with Randy Couture being the third man and Dominick Cruz joined them once recently.

• Paid Members

I hadn't even considered a Chael Sonnen vs. Rampage fight. That's a good headliner.

Fucking hell though, can you imagine how exposed Rampage would be in the build up? It was bad enough with Rashad, but Chael would absolutely demolish him. Rampage would be left tragically repeating "your breath stinks," over and over again.

Archived