Can TNA reach the next level?

Forrest

A few weeks back, in the Impact thread, someone posted about TNA 2010 where they were busting out Hogan, Nash, Hall, Flair and ECW amongst others and it felt like they were just throwing as much as they could at the wall to try and make something happen, but nothing did and soon everyone realised that it wasn't happening and the ratings levelled out, with the fans and the staff realising that this was their lot.

Fast forward 2 years, and we're now in a different position. TNA are on a roll, with most people (on here, especially) actually in agreement that Impact is really on a hot streak recently. Roode is becoming a star (see his recent public appearances), Hogan's turning the tables on staid booking, Bully's fueding with everyone under contract and it's working. Hell, ABYSS has even been transformed into must-see television, for god's sake. Russo's gone, Immortal's dead and the days of stupid booking seem to be gone for now. The recent UK tapings of Impact made them a huge deal and even the new lights in the IZ make it feel bigger.

Even from a company point-of-view, they're supposedly cutting the number of PPVs and making steps to move away from the Impact Zone. They're now in prime-time on Spike, and have gone live. Meanwhile, in the north, WWE is going through a period of absolute bilge on Raw. Ratings are down, and even the marks are proclaiming Impact's better than Raw. While Raw's been booking-by-numbers, Impact have shaking it up with OFN, Gut Check and the Sacrifice 4-way.

So I ask you, will Impact grow bigger any time soon? They reached the glass ceiling in 2010 and couldn't break through, but this time, everything's coming up roses. Will this new raft of changes and good reviews translate into higher ratings and buyrates down the line? Can TNA capitalise on WWE's doldrums-roaming and pick up viewers? If not, will TNA ever break through or will they remain forever doomed to not reach 2.0? What do you think it would take to get there?

Are they really on a hot streak? They've had a couple of good Impacts by other people's standards, but that's it. The shitty reality aspect puts me right off. Why Dixie Carter is even on screen is beyond me. What's the point? Granted the few episodes i've seen have been better than Raw. Which isn't saying much.

From what I've seen of TNA recently, after several months of not much happening, they seem to have gotten into their stride with Pritchard and Lagana in their creative roles (something which takes time to establish). What they're doing is really, really solid and they're introducing some new ideas as they go along whule making the most of who they have. Legends like Hogan and Sting are featured in good spots but not dominating things, while they're getting more out of guys like Ray and Abyss who had been stale. The thing is, they're not doing anything groundbreaking which I think is what is going to be necessary to really gain huge momentum and draw the disenfranchised back in. If they were going to do something, now would be best, if the last two years is anything to go by when WWE do a big summer angle.

TNA was arguably hitting its highest pay per view buyrates when the company had a clear identity of young upstarts and a solid X division and tag division. I think the company is beginning to transition into a company with more of a clearly defined identity with its own stars now instead of being the company where someone from a few years back might show up.

James Storm was on a brilliant run before Lockdown. He was sharing a ring with Sting and Hogan during his time in the UK, he was hot of the heels of his first world title win, appearing on the red carpet at a country music awards show with a music video for his entrance music. TNA made great strides with Storm and this sort of steady development throughout the roster makes the viewer see a character worth investing in. Which wasn't really the case during the Immortal era.

Strong character development may not be the only thing to take TNA up a level but I'd be more than pleased to see a slight increase in viewership, they deserve it.

• Paid Members
TNA was arguably hitting its highest pay per view buyrates when the company had a clear identity of young upstarts and a solid X division and tag division. I think the company is beginning to transition into a company with more of a clearly defined identity with its own stars now instead of being the company where someone from a few years back might show up.

Kurt Angle, Jeff Hardy and Sting have always been their highest draws as far as PPV, house shows and TV goes. Always. Homegrown stars has nothing to do with it. Its how you position your stars, homegrown or otherwise and how you use them in storylines.

Star names drive TNA. Without them, there would be no Spike TV and they wouldn't be getting 150,000 on Challenge every week and packing out big arenas.

I don't know what it is about TNA, I just can't get into it these days.

I watched Impact for the first time in ages after everybody was raving about it and yes it was miles better than what had been put out last year. The gut check was really good. Still I have no desire to tune in next week. Really can't fathom why other than the feeling of seen this all before. Maybe getting out of the Impact zone for good would solve this (I know they can't afford it before anybody jumps on me!).

Kurt Angle, Jeff Hardy and Sting have always been their highest draws as far as PPV, house shows and TV goes. Always. Homegrown stars has nothing to do with it. Its how you position your stars, homegrown or otherwise and how you use them in storylines.

Star names drive TNA. Without them, there would be no Spike TV and they wouldn't be getting 150,000 on Challenge every week and packing out big arenas.

I don't question that the established names draw for them, I just think the momentum of a Samoe Joe or AJ Styles during their peak years created something exclusive to TNA, in that they could offer fresh main events and draw their biggest numbers e.g. Angle vs Joe. Sting may always be the most over star on the roster but sticking him with a 'homegrown' creates the sense of creating something new opposed to a repeat or a watered down version of what could have been between two stars who have seen better days.

A way for them to drive forward though in my opinion is they need better merchandising. Especially with the news Don West is leaving or has left the company they need to get someone in fast that can merch as well as WWE do, that's a way in which i think WWE are keeping afloat and can also afford to move from town to town each week. I didn't say its the full way but it certainly helps them.

Anyway, i think TNA could become good is as like someone said they do something good in the summer, it can surly draw fans in.

Archived