Fan Funded Wrestling Project

FFW_UK

Hi all,

Over the last while I've been working on a project that could potentially turn into a big event in the UK wrestling landscape.

What I want to do is hold a show loaded with top international indy talent as well as the best guys the UK has to offer. I aim to achieve this by funding the project via http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk. The way Crowd Funder works is that I pitch the project online & people pledge donations to fund it getting rewards based on level of donation. Nobody parts ways with any cash until the target is met & that's when the fun starts.

I originally got the idea looking at this project run in the states http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/790983...ling-revolution. If you look at the rewards on offer down the right hand side of the page I would offer similar rewards for people backing this project in the UK. The standard donation rewards would include admission, photos, autographs & merch but I'd like to make this a memorable experience so it could be anything from accompanying your favourite guy on the card to the ring to being a guest ring announcer for the day.

First off I had to look at where to host it. I've had a few emails back & forth from the events people at the Doncaster Dome & they have given me a quote to host the event. Wouldn't it be great to re-create the old 1PW shows from the early days of the promotion? (before everything went tits up). Really what I want is to attract people from all over the UK & I think its location would do that, but it's early days yet so I'm open to suggestions for a suitable venue.

I've also been in touch with a few people regarding getting the lighting, PA, ring etc & I've had some dialogue about getting some guys over from the US that are currently working with ROH & some former TNA & WWE talent. I would love to know who people want to see so let me know.

I would love to hear what people think of the idea so have at it, if you think its crap let me know, if you like it & think it could actually turn into something even better!

I'm on twitter so please follow @FFWUK & spread the word around. If you have any thoughts or want to lend a hand getting this idea off the ground please get in touch.

The reality is I'm just a fan with an idea, but I think it could be something brilliant & a really great experience for alot of people.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're going to compare yourself to the Wrestling Revolution project, how many films/tv shows have you produced? Why would I want to invest in something that wants to be like a failed promotion? What experiance do you have which should make me believe your projecti s worth funding? How much money do you think you actually need? Just a few questions you probably need to answer pretty much straight away.

Hi all,Over the last while I've been working on a project that could potentially turn into a big event in the UK wrestling landscape.What I want to do is hold a show loaded with top international indy talent as well as the best guys the UK has to offer. I aim to achieve this by funding the project via http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk. The way Crowd Funder works is that I pitch the project online & people pledge donations to fund it getting rewards based on level of donation. Nobody parts ways with any cash until the target is met & that's when the fun starts.I originally got the idea looking at this project run in the states http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/790983...ling-revolution. If you look at the rewards on offer down the right hand side of the page I would offer similar rewards for people backing this project in the UK. The standard donation rewards would include admission, photos, autographs & merch but I'd like to make this a memorable experience so it could be anything from accompanying your favourite guy on the card to the ring to being a guest ring announcer for the day. First off I had to look at where to host it. I've had a few emails back & forth from the events people at the Doncaster Dome & they have given me a quote to host the event. Wouldn't it be great to re-create the old 1PW shows from the early days of the promotion? (before everything went tits up). Really what I want is to attract people from all over the UK & I think its location would do that, but it's early days yet so I'm open to suggestions for a suitable venue.I've also been in touch with a few people regarding getting the lighting, PA, ring etc & I've had some dialogue about getting some guys over from the US that are currently working with ROH & some former TNA & WWE talent. I would love to know who people want to see so let me know.I would love to hear what people think of the idea so have at it, if you think its crap let me know, if you like it & think it could actually turn into something even better!I'm on twitter so please follow @FFWUK & spread the word around. If you have any thoughts or want to lend a hand getting this idea off the ground please get in touch. The reality is I'm just a fan with an idea, but I think it could be something brilliant & a really great experience for alot of people.

Though the idea sounds good on paper, are all UK shows not already fan funded? Lets face it 99% of cash raised for most UK shows are via ticket sales. I wish you luck but why would a fan donate say

I honestly didn't know WR was a fan funded project.

Its a kinda different scenario. I mean WR's a short run series by someone who's actually helped produce films, shit films sure, but he's got a backgroudn of actually producing things. That and crowd sourcing for films isn't unheard of and is something that supposedly will grow. The whole idea of WR was that it'd be a TV series built around wrestling. Although when you consider its going to be shown on Justin.tv it hasn't really acheived that. I don't hold much hope for WR really, but it is a fair bit more of an actual professional idea than this is.

If you're going to compare yourself to the Wrestling Revolution project, how many films/tv shows have you produced? Why would I want to invest in something that wants to be like a failed promotion? What experiance do you have which should make me believe your projecti s worth funding? How much money do you think you actually need? Just a few questions you probably need to answer pretty much straight away.

I'm not comparing it to the WR project, thats on a whole other level to what I'm trying to do. I'm just trying to do a one off show.Obviously I'm not wanting to emulate the failures of 1PW, the original shows they put on that were dire financial failures, but great stuff to watch in my opinion. I'd like to bring an element of that back.Experience? None.As far as how much money I'd need, that's something I'm on my way to working out.

Though the idea sounds good on paper, are all UK shows not already fan funded? Lets face it 99% of cash raised for most UK shows are via ticket sales. I wish you luck but why would a fan donate say

I don't think anyone should donate to you in all honesty.What have you done to deserve any fans loyalty and trust? Why should they donate to you when that money could be better served to be spent on shows held by reputable, honest and hard working promotions?At the end of the day all promotions started as a fan wanting to be a promoter/booker.The difference is it was THEIR money they were going to be losing if it all went tits up.At the end of the day this would not be your money. You would have no incentive to ensure everything goes well financial because it's not your money.If you're not willing to take on any significant financial responsibility, then you should keep arm-chair booking and dream and get the fuck out of the clouds.

Experience - NONE???Im out :laugh:

Like I said, I'm not a promoter, just a fan with an idea. If nothing comes of it I've wasted a bit of my spare time, no big deal.
And with that attitude, you think people are going to think you professional and donate?"If nothing comes of it, I've wasted a bit of someone elses money, no big deal."

I don't think anyone should donate to you in all honesty.What have you done to deserve any fans loyalty and trust? Why should they donate to you when that money could be better served to be spent on shows held by reputable, honest and hard working promotions?At the end of the day all promotions started as a fan wanting to be a promoter/booker.The difference is it was THEIR money they were going to be losing if it all went tits up.At the end of the day this would not be your money. You would have no incentive to ensure everything goes well financial because it's not your money.If you're not willing to take on any significant financial responsibility, then you should keep arm-chair booking and dream and get the fuck out of the clouds.

Its a fair point you make. I'd really have nothing to put faith into the people donating to fund it. Seriously its criticism like this I'm after, if its a shit idea its a shit idea & it'll go no further.

"If nothing comes of it, I've wasted a bit of someone elses money, no big deal."

I would never adopt that attitude with other people's money but really you have no reason to believe otherwise. Which is the fatal flaw in the plan I suppose.

• Moderators

I think you people should all send me your money and let me promote a card instead. I'll put it on just after I get back from my holiday in Barbados which I will be newly able to afford by sheer coincidence.Anyway, let me know how WrestleXpress 2K12 gets on.

Archived