UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen II Thread

The Natural

Who wins and how?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Primetime was great

Chael was a lot more serious than usually, without losing his showmanship.

I laughed at Anderson's "kisses" bit as well.

Its been 3 years since a fight has had this much hype, we are a week away and people are losing their shit about it. Usually cards come and go these days with the amount of shows they do, but this one is on another level.

• Paid Members
Apologies if this has already been posted ...

http://www.fightersonlymag.com/content/new...he-dragon-remix

That is fucking outstanding!! Love the little touches with Yves Lavigne and the ring girls behind Dana 'Han' White. Bolo Buffer got real LOLZ from me aswell. Thanks for posting that.

• Paid Members

They've both been posted already mate. I posted the Forrest one a page or so back.

But if anyone hasn't watched them yet I urge you to. Both great fun. I think Serra would actually make a great commentator. He won't do it full time cos he keeps himself busy with his school (and his pasta) but he'd be great as an occasional guest at the booth. He's got a ton of knowledge and experience, he's a former champ and he's likeable and funny as fuck. He'd be a hoot.

Can't remember the last time I was this psyched for a UFC event. So many fights stick out to me as being potentially great, even with all the changes. Primetime did a fantastic job hyping the main event, no matter what happens it will be historic. Ditto for the co-main being Tito's last fight, should be a great war.

Elsewhere, bouts I'm excited about: Cung Le vs. Patrick Cote. Seeing Le again after the Wandy fight is encouraging, I thought given his movie career he might have quietly stepped away after the "special attraction" fight. He's an exciting fighter, would like to see him put together a decent run in the division before age catches up with him. I was a bit underwhelmed last time I saw Cote fight, wouldn't be adverse to seeing a quick finish in this fight. Stun Gun vs. Maia is intriguing as Maia's WW debut, but it could go two ways. It could be a pretty exciting grappling fight- judo vs BJJ, or it could be a bore due to having a stalemate/Maia having a bad weight cut. Interesting that Maia is choosing to cut weight now after clear conditioning issues last time out. McKenzie vs. Mendes is one I'm looking forward to, only because takedowns leave a wrestler vulnerable to guillotine chokes, and Cody's is one of the best out there :D Easton vs. Menjivar should be a FOTN candidate (most likely beat by the main), but both guys are skilled everywhere, and I've liked Easton since his debut.

So, everything on the main card attracts me in some way, I think the last example of that was 144, which was pretty damn good as well. Looking at the fight card, and on the prelims I like Guillard and the Alessio vs. Roller fight, could be scrappy. Ready for this, 6 days away!

• Paid Members

Yeah it's a hell of a card on paper. 146 will take some topping for me though, that was an incredible show top to bottom. This has a bigger main event obviously but 146 will be hard to beat as a complete card. If any show will though it's probably this one.

I hope Maia vs Stun Gun is good. I really like Maia but he hasn't looked like the same guy since the Marquardt KO. He seems too focused on trying to box these days and while he's clearly made big strides there and it will help his overall game, I think he needs to go back to basics and remember what a fucking awesome grappler he is.

I'm hoping this move to 170 will be good for him and breathe some life into him. He looked like absolute shit against Weidman, I hope this cut goes well and he gets his shit together.

He could be a beast at 170. And fights with great grapplers like John Maguire, TJ Waldburger and maybe even Nick Diaz down the line could be a ton of fun.

• Paid Members

Just imagine if this event was unchanged from the original - well, at least after Sonnen/Silva was moved - line up. You had Silva/Sonnen, Cruz/Faber, Franklin/Le, Bisping/Boetsch and Ortiz/Forrest.

That would have been something truly special.

From a excitement stand point, I think every fight should deliver on the main card except maybe Maia vs Stun Gun and McKenzie vs Mendes.

Mendes may just stay on top of McKenzie for 3 rounds and grind out a uneventful points win, Maia I can agree with Wand is not the fighter he was when he first came to the UFC, sadly against Stun Gun we could have another Weidman type snoozefest on our hands.

Cote vs Le should be a decent brawl, Eastman vs Menjivar will be a high paced bout that only the lighter weight classes can have, Griffin vs Ortiz and Sonnen vs Silva will be entertaining on name value and crowd reaction alone, the latter which maybe legendary.

If the main card was shit I would still be looking forward to this based on the main event, as it stands the card should deliver as a whole on Saturday.

Just imagine if this event was unchanged from the original - well, at least after Sonnen/Silva was moved - line up. You had Silva/Sonnen, Cruz/Faber, Franklin/Le, Bisping/Boetsch and Ortiz/Forrest.

That would have been something truly special.

It's a real shame and for the past two years, the UFC Independence weekend PPV was the UFC show of the year.

After going back and forth on my Silva/Sonnen II prediction ever since the first fight ended, I'm going with a Silva TKO victory in the third and Griffin by decision. I wouldn't be surprised if Sonnen wins, less with Ortiz.

They almost got into it at the stare down. Anderson had to be held back 2 or 3 times.

Anderson looked livid for most of the press conference, nodding his head in a way that seemed to indicate he has had enough of Chael's trash talk. Anderson is relishing giving Chael a beating on Saturday, maybe one like he gave Rich Franklin in their first fight.

I can still not decide who to pick, but after that presser I am leaning towards Silva.

I'm surprised at Anderson to take so much offence to all of this. He knows Chael is only selling and getting people to buy the PPV, hes just doing his job. Maybe Anderson is just doing the same with his sudden outburst.

Archived