20 Years Of Premier League - GOALS!

Burchill's Buddy

• Paid Members

Premiership 20 Year Awards

Thought this might be fun to vote on, looks like we have the following categories, and I'll give my votes out too.

Best Player - Roy Keane

Best Goal - Le Tissier taking the piss against Newcastle in 1993/94

Most Memorable Quote - "I'll love it if we beat them, love it"

Best Celebration - Eric Cantona's fireman pole against Liverpool

Best Striker - Alan Shearer

Best Midfielder - Ryan Giggs

Best Defender - Tony Adams

Best Goalkeeper - Peter Schmeichel

Best Match - Arsenal 4 - 4 Liverpool (the Arshavin game)

Best Save - David Seaman, where he claws it back from behind himself, can't remember the opponent

Best Season - 95 / 96. Of winning everything with kids, Newcastle's entertainment, and Keegan's meltdown

Best Manager - Really?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Premiership 20 Year Awards

Thought this might be fun to vote on, looks like we have the following categories, and I'll give my votes out too.

Best Player - Roy Keane

Best Goal - Le Tissier taking the piss against Newcastle in 1993/94

Most Memorable Quote - "I'll love it if we beat them, love it"

Best Celebration - Eric Cantona's fireman pole against Liverpool

Best Striker - Alan Shearer

Best Midfielder - Ryan Giggs

Best Defender - Tony Adams

Best Match - Arsenal 4 - 4 Liverpool (the Arshavin game)

Best Save - David Seaman, where he claws it back from behind himself, can't remember the opponent

Best Season - 95 / 96. Of winning everything with kids, Newcastle's entertainment, and Keegan's meltdown

Best Manager - Really?

Seaman's save was against Sheffield United, in the FA Cup.

• Paid Members

Best Player - Ryan Giggs

Best Goal - Kinkladze vs. Southampton - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym03RepD2u4

Most Memorable Quote - "When ze seagulls follow ze trawler..."

Best Celebration - Bullard vs. Man City

Best Striker - Thierry Henry

Best Midfielder - Roy Keane

Best Defender - John Terry

Best Match - Liverpool 4 Newcastle 3 (1995/96)

Best Save - Peter Schmeichel from Don Hutchison (1992/93) -

Best Season - 1995/96

Best Manager - Iain Dowie

Some seriously tough catagegories. Some so tough that if you ask me in an hour, I'll probably have changed my mind. Actually agree with Burchill's Buddy on Memorable quote but thought I'd bring up something different. The Schmeichel save isn't as impressive looking back but I was in awe that day.

Best Player - Ryan Giggs

Best Goal - Kinkladze vs. Southampton - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym03RepD2u4

Most Memorable Quote - "When ze seagulls follow ze trawler..."

Best Celebration - Bullard vs. Man City

Best Striker - Thierry Henry

Best Midfielder - Roy Keane

Best Defender - John Terry

Best Save - Peter Schmeichel from Don Hutchison (1992/93) -

Best Season - 1995/96

Best Manager - Iain Dowie

Some seriously tough catagegories. Some so tough that if you ask me in an hour, I'll probably have changed my mind. Actually agree with Burchill's Buddy on Memorable quote but thought I'd bring up something different. The Schmeichel save isn't as impressive looking back but I was in awe that day.

Do mine later but Schmeical made a better save from el haj diouf Liverpool 1 man city 2 right in front of me may 03

• Paid Members

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/20-seasons.html

The official shortlists but frankly, there's a lot of quality potential winners not on the shortlist as you'd imagine with 20 years worth of material. Let's face it, Arsenal v Spurs could dominate the best match section. I'll show who I voted for on the website but for some categories I would actually pick differently

Best Player - Thierry Henry but Giggs gets an honourable mention for being consistently top drawer. Henry was clearly the best player in the world whilst here for several seasons

Best Goal - Bergkamp v Newcastle seems as I've got an amazing love of old Dennis. Shame Henry's run against Spurs didn't make it

Best Celebration - Ketsbaia : fucking mental but so many mint celebrations in 20 years

Best Save - Not fucking even touching that.......

Team :

Team.jpg

Could easily change though

• Paid Members

Best player- Giggs

Best goal- Drogba

Best celebration- Ketsbaia kicking fuck out of the advertising boards

Most memorable quote- The "I'm talking aout facts!" meltdown

Best striker- Alan Shearer

Best midfielder- Frank Lampard

Best defender- John Terry

Best keeper- Schmeichel

Best match- Arsenal 5-3 Middlesbrough (2005? towards the end of their unbeaten run)

Best save- Cudicini from a Van Nistelrooy header,

Best season- 98/99

• Paid Members
Looking at the ten man shortlists for each position in the team of 20 seasons - there's not exactly been a lot of really high quality right backs about has there?

Haven't seen the shortlists. I'd have Gary Neville at #1, Lauren, Bacary Sagna, Dan Petrescu & Lee Dixon in the 10. Otherwise, I'm seriously struggling. Can think of lots of really good pros like Phil Neville, John Beresford, Alan Wright, Paul Parker, Luke Young, Clive Wilson, Danny Mills, etc and guys like Rob Jones who never fulfilled his potential but for real quality, it's very difficult. I reckon Rafael and Ivanovic might even make my top 10. Perhaps Albert Ferrer and Mario Melchiot?

Best goal- Drogba

Was that before he started blacking up?

• Paid Members

I'm going to sound biased here and I'm afraid I can't help that, but I always thought Steve Finnan was very underrated outside of Liverpool. I'd have him over Mills, Young or Melchiot anyway.

• Paid Members
HA! How did I manage that?

It's a brilliant hit but it's a hit and hope. Doesn't quite compare to some of the more brilliantly precise goals. Like the Pires one you originally posted is a superb piece of vision.

Best goal- Drogba

Was that before he started blacking up?

That reminded me of Bergkamp raping Leicester

Magic goal that but will never quite live up to him doing it against Brazil at a World Cup. It's a bit low rent in comparison.

I've often thought about running a top 50/100 PL goals contest on here. There are so many brilliant ones. My personal favourite will always be Geovanni at the Emirates. Not only is it a phenomenal strike in it's own right but the context of following a team who'd scrabbled about in Division 3 for 8 years before climbing through the leagues in the space of 4 years (and only 18 months earlier, we were taking a hiding at Barnsley as we looked like heading back to where we came from), standing at Arsenal, a goal down, and seeing one of our players produce a moment like that. I'll never forget that day as long as I live. Standing in an emptying Emirates singing "This is the best trip I've ever been on" while the few Arsenal fans left leant over the stands to applaud and wish us well. The most perfect of days that one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2U3ARZ00Qo&t=187

Just remembered standing outside the bogs outside the ground afterwards, my mates all inside when this fucking massive black fella comes stomping towards me looking thirsty for blood. Me wondering whether to hit him first or just run away. He snarls and shows off his gold tooth. Then he sticks his hand out and says "you Tigers are facking brilliant". We shake hands and I thank the lord that I didn't have to batter another loudmouth cockney. Or ask him to help me find a change of underpants.

Archived