20 Years Of Premier League - GOALS!

Burchill's Buddy

• Paid Members
Best goal- Drogba

Was that before he started blacking up?

That reminded me of Bergkamp raping Leicester

Magic goal that but will never quite live up to him doing it against Brazil at a World Cup. It's a bit low rent in comparison.

Argentina, actually ;)

If we're going for goals with special meaning then....

God, SKY have some corking collection of old commentary lines.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
It's a brilliant hit but it's a hit and hope. Doesn't quite compare to some of the more brilliantly precise goals. Like the Pires one you originally posted is a superb piece of vision.

I don't know. It's the technique on the turn that makes it. I look at loads of great Premiership goals and think "I could have done that!*" But there's no chance I could ever pull anything like that off. Even if I tried for the rest of my life, the power to hold the defender off, the technique to get it down and swivel on the spot, the power on the shot, it's un-savable.

I can't definitively say it's the best goal, or even my favourite, but it was the first that popped into mind. Since then, I've remembered

. That Pires goal was ace, I didn't mean to post it, though, I found that trying to find the Arsenal v Middlesbrough highlights. His goal against Villa wasn't half bad, either!

* On the astroturf, against my mates, which is clearly the same thing.

• Paid Members
It's a brilliant hit but it's a hit and hope. Doesn't quite compare to some of the more brilliantly precise goals. Like the Pires one you originally posted is a superb piece of vision.

I don't know. It's the technique on the turn that makes it. I look at loads of great Premiership goals and think "I could have done that!*" But there's no chance I could ever pull anything like that off. Even if I tried for the rest of my life, the power to hold the defender off, the technique to get it down and swivel on the spot, the power on the shot, it's un-savable.

I can't definitively say it's the best goal, or even my favourite, but it was the first that popped into mind. Since then, I've remembered

. That Pires goal was ace, I didn't mean to post it, though, I found that trying to find the Arsenal v Middlesbrough highlights. His goal against Villa wasn't half bad, either!

* On the astroturf, against my mates, which is clearly the same thing.

I don't think it's as good as his goal against Spurs on Sunday, personally.

superb, Le Tiss made it look so easy, some of them long rangers are just passed into the net, I remember the ovation we gave him at St Mary's the day he retired and he had done us many a time, as that video shows, its one of my fondest memories of football fans showing respect for someone with no ties to tjheir own club

• Awards Moderator

Best Player - Alan Shearer, just ahead of Thierry Henry

Best Goal - Might have to come back to this one, it's nigh-on impossible to name just one without thinking of another straight after.

Most Memorable Quote - Theo Walcott, a few weeks ago. After being asked if he was playing better in response to criticism that he wasn't consistent enough, he responded with "I think I've been much more consistent this season, in patches". You might talk a bit posh, but you're still thick as fuck.

Best Celebration - Ketsbaia assaulting the advertising stands

Best Striker - Alan Shearer

Best Midfielder - Steven Gerrard or Paul Scholes

Best Defender - Tony Adams

Best Goalkeeper - Neville Southall was the greatest goalie to play in the Premier League, but Peter Schmeichel is the greatest Premier League 'keeper

Best Match - The first Liverpool 4 - 3 Newcastle

Best Season - This season, for the sheer batshit crazy results which have gone for and against all of the top teams.

Best Manager - That Scottish bloke

Right, back to the best goal. Some of these are more memorable than they may be skillful, but here's my shortlist:

Dalian Atkinson Vs. Wimbledon

Alan Shearer Vs. Everton

Thierry Henry Vs. Man. Utd.

Dennis Bergkamp Vs. Southampton

Paul Scholes Vs. Bradford

Le Tissier Vs. Blackburn

Gus Poyet Vs. Sunderland

Alan Shearer Vs. Chelsea

Peter Crouch Vs. Man. City

Rod Wallace Vs. Tottenham

Yeah, not as short a list as I thought it would be and it doesn't include some of the ones already mentioned!

Archived