20 Years Of Premier League - GOALS!

Burchill's Buddy

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone mentioned this belter yet, Robin Van Persie vs. Charlton?

I'd need to have a think about what i'd go for as overall best goal, as I tend to prefer well worked and silky solo efforts in comparison to spectacular strikes. But in terms of great strikes, that's the one which stands out to me, just on account of how diffiult a ball it was to take. 99 times out of 100 that would've been in the stand, it's amazing how he managed to control it when it was basically at chest height.

• Paid Members

These two came a week apart. I've always loved this Berkovic goal. Not only is it beautiful technique but the context of it comign agaisnt the best side in the country in an absolute mauling and him being almost unheard of:

This is the week before. Phillipe Albert scoring the 5th in a 5-0 thumping. Still no idea where Schmeichel is going though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqU9Q0FPjgU

Well if wellying it's the theme...

John Arne Riise Vs. Man. Utd.

He's throwing free-kicks into the mix now. Got to be Becks vs. Villa:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlDcLvP1uV4&t=147

Or Le Tissier's Frank Worthington-esque volley:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-cK0nShbh8&t=240

• Awards Moderator

He scored some cracking goals in the first couple of Premier League seasons.

Speaking of Villa, I seem to remember Lee Hendrie going through a spell of a month or so where he kept scoring belters. YouTube isn't coming up with much (well, I'm also a bit knackered and anything past two pages of search results is a challenge) but I'm hoping I'm not imagining that.

• Paid Members

Remembered this one while watching the Chesterfield-Boro Cup Semi on ESPN Classic:

Kevin Daviews - Southampton vs. Everton

That made me remember this one for some reason:

Not enough headers in the thread, here are a couple:

Ruddock - Liverpool vs. Man United

(Denis Irwin scores a great FK in this one too)

Jurgen Klinsmann - Spurs vs. Sheff Wed

Anyone find Ritchie Humphreys thumping volley for Wednesday against Villa?

• Moderators

PUBLIC VOTES:

Best Match: Liverpool 4 - 3 Newcastle. My favourite part is how it's the old heads Rush and Barnes who create the winner.

Best Goal: Yeboah vs Liverpool. The best part of the Netbusters video that everyone owned, a true brute of a finish. Matt Taylor's corker vs Everton and Jeremy Goss' absolute fucking blinder vs Leeds should have been shortlisted as well, but they've been punished for not being "names" I feel.

Celebration: Ketsbaia, easily.

Save: Fucked if I know.

Team: You won't believe how tempted I was just to throw Steve Stone/Aaron Lennon and Warren Barton/Rob Jones/Stephen Carr in for the shits and giggles of it. The FA Premier League's not been too blessed on the right of the pitch going by this.

350oyag.jpg

CLOSED VOTES

Best Player - Gianfranco Zola

Most Memorable Quote - "I'll love it if we beat them, love it"

Best Striker - Alan Shearer

Best Midfielder - Matt Le Tissier

Best Defender - Sol Campbell

Best Goalkeeper - Peter Schmeichel

Best Season - 95 / 96. Keegan makes the world laugh.

Best Manager - Souness, obv.

Archived