What angles did you make up in your head as a child?

ShortOrderCook

• Paid Members

I can't think of a decent topic title to actually describe what i'm talking about, hopefully you'll know what i mean as i'm sure we all did these things as child fans, when our imaginations would run wild.

I was reminded of this through the discussion of Demolition in the comments thread about Crush passing away, yet Ax still wrestling despite the reasons for Crush being introduced into Demolition. As a child, i was never aware of the supposed poor health of Ax and that being why Crush was brought in. So, later on when Doink The Clown debuted and immediately targeted Crush, i convinced myself that it was Ax in the Clown get-up, having gone mental and being bitter about Demolition diminishing shortly after Crush became a part of them yet, Crush going on to do alright for himself and Ax wanted to take him out of action. I was a little disappointed it never was the case.

Any of you lot make up your own angles in your head, if so what were they or what scenarios did you hear or simply just assume yourself and believed to be true as a young viewer?

• Paid Members

The most obvious one would be the Invasion angle. I'm sure every fan, child or adult, would at some point have let their imagination run wild thinking about the possibilites of a WWF vs WCW scenario, long before the idea ever became a reality. I remember playing it out with my wrestling figures as a kid, then I remember doing it again as late as 2000 on WrestleMania 2000 on the N64. Austin vs Goldberg was the main event of my Invasion PPV.

• Paid Members

When Sky suddenly jumped a few months in 1988 to become more up to date, several people had been dropped from the roster. Somebody at my school who'd read a PWI on holiday in American knew about the Adrian Adonis car crash death. This story somehow got twisted in retelling and then used as an explanation, namely that all the missing wrestlers had died in a coach crash.

And Junk Yard Dog was driving.

When Sky suddenly jumped a few months in 1988 to become more up to date, several people had been dropped from the roster. Somebody at my school who'd read a PWI on holiday in American knew about the Adrian Adonis car crash death. This story somehow got twisted in retelling and then used as an explanation, namely that all the missing wrestlers had died in a coach crash.

And Junk Yard Dog was driving.

Magic. :D

I've never really regressed out of "fantasy angles" mode. EWR and forums with BTBs don't help, but it's a fun hobby writing angles every so often when bored.

I can't really remember any specific angles as a kid, but I do remember having a massive argument about The Rock/Mankind I Quit match from Royal Rumble '99. I hadn't seen the match or anything in it's wake when a pal from down the road had seen it and told me The Rock had won, but I just couldn't accept the notion that Mick Foley gave up. We argued for ages until he asked me for a possible alternative, and I panicked and said it must have been a tape recording, to which he left and said what a ridiculous idea that was. :D

I was the same. I didnt belive Mankind would say the words I quit, even if he got the hump and left he'd never say I quit. I thought it was going to come out that Vince had it recorded by getting one of the audio guys to mix it up with the editing equipment which would lead to more nasty encounters between Rock & Mankind. I also believed when HBK screwed The Rock against Triple h, that he's take over as leader of D-X and run riot again, but instead he went off tv for what seemed like forever and returned to give the comish job to Foley.

I always thought that they could have used super heel lecherous Vince to get a babyface guy and girl over with a storyline similar to that episode of The Simpsons when Mr Burns falls for Marge who starts working at the power plant. He could make the girl really uncomfortable with his approach and harassment of said clean cut and innocent diva only for it to be revealed that she was seeing a popular, young and good-looking guy on the roster. Vince then petulantly proceeds to make their lives a living hell, perhaps even firing the guy from the company and leaving the girl unprotected and vulnerable untill the face starts running in from the crowd a la Matt Hardy in 2005. Vince could put loads of hired help between himself and the guy until a blow-off match was necessary.

After watching the office again, in 03 I really wanted David Brent as one of the GM's. With his must be popular approach it could be amazing. When Jenifer from head office had to explain that him promising no redundancies when there was going to be, would be realy hard for morale in the long run, and his repsonse was "they wont remember" had me crying with laughter. Something like that with Vince wanting him to fire someone after he'd already promised he'd speak to the boss and sort it and responding with that.

• Paid Members
I was the same. I didnt belive Mankind would say the words I quit, even if he got the hump and left he'd never say I quit. I thought it was going to come out that Vince had it recorded by getting one of the audio guys to mix it up with the editing equipment which would lead to more nasty encounters between Rock & Mankind.

I'm confused - isn't that exactly what happened?

It was the tape recording from his promo the previous monday where he spoke in rhyme and said "I'll never say those words, you twit. I'll never ever say I quit". The whole point was that Mick was unconscious when it was said.

Going back to the childhood ideas, I started watching in 1992, and was a big fan of vampire stuff. I really wanted a vampire character back then, complete with vampire hunter chasing him.

I don't know how I got past the idea that the vampire hunter would only have to see when and where he was wrestling in order to not catch him easily. I think I had it that he'd turn up in a puff of smoke in the ring or something while the vampire hunter was backstage.

Mind you, the first time I saw The Undertaker was him being impervious to pain and dragging a coffin behind him with his hand trapped in it, so it didn't seem that outlandish.

• Paid Members
Going back to the childhood ideas, I started watching in 1992, and was a big fan of vampire stuff. I really wanted a vampire character back then, complete with vampire hunter chasing him.

As much as I like over the top angles with improbable stories, I feel the wrestler who's gimmick was "Vampire Hunter" would probably have a hard time staying on TV once his feud with the "Vampire" character finished!

Bret "Hitman" Hart VS Vampire Hunter for the WWF Intercontinental title!

*edit* I'm really enjoying imagining a vampire hunter running around 1992 WWF with no vampires to chase now, cheers for that.

• Paid Members

As much as I like over the top angles with improbable stories, I feel the wrestler who's gimmick was "Vampire Hunter" would probably have a hard time staying on TV once his feud with the "Vampire" character finished!

*edit* I'm really enjoying imagining a vampire hunter running around 1992 WWF with no vampires to chase now, cheers for that.

The feud would probably finish when he stakes the vampire at Wrestlemania, finally catching him. But then, everyone would hate him, as the vampire had just turned face.

He'd become frustrated and angry at everyone for booing him, and turn heel.

Didn't they strongly imply that the Edge / Gangrel fued (before they joined up as the brood) was a sort of vampire vs. vampire hunter fued? They never outright said it, but that's how I remember it.

I was the same. I didnt belive Mankind would say the words I quit, even if he got the hump and left he'd never say I quit. I thought it was going to come out that Vince had it recorded by getting one of the audio guys to mix it up with the editing equipment which would lead to more nasty encounters between Rock & Mankind.

I'm confused - isn't that exactly what happened?

It was the tape recording from his promo the previous monday where he spoke in rhyme and said "I'll never say those words, you twit. I'll never ever say I quit". The whole point was that Mick was unconscious when it was said.

I only remember Mankind saying he was unconscious, I dont remember it ever being brought to light about a recording, my bad.

• Paid Members

When i was a kid, i made up various storyline for my WCW toybiz action figure collection.

My biggest angle had Hulk Hogan (in the nWo of course) winning all the titles, and also unifying them with the WCW world title, to be come the true undisputed champion of WCW. This then culminated in Hogan leaving with title, but not before he faced his final challenger......Billy Kidman. This was before all that New blood Hogan/Kidman stuff, and i was a huge Kidman fan at the time.

In the end Kidman would SSP Hogan through a table (from the top of a ladder of course) to win the WCW championship, and return all the other titles. He then was quickly squashed by maybe Mike Awesome for the Title.

Archived