the warlord

I recently saw on youtube an Indie show with a very inshape looking Warlord and was shocked that he hadnt. Aged in 20 yrs . I had him pegged for at least 55 as he looked mid 30's in the 80's and was shocked that hes only 49 now. That means he was only 29 when he left wwf in 92.

Do you think wwf missed the boat with this guy? He was a monster and yet used as a jobber. I think a run as a monster heel against Hogan could have worked, as he had the size, presence and arsensal to look like a legit threat to Hogan or Warrior.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the powers of pain shoot. They say that when they were told they were going to be broken up that Warlord would have a run with Hogan and Barbarian would get a run with Ultimate Warrior. But it never happened they were great as powers of pain but ( I'm guessing to distance them from the Warriors,) Barbarian was given a furry coat and hat with antlers. And Warlord got the phantom of the opera mask and W on a stick and they were buried.

Why was WCW never interested? They had Barbarian.

• Paid Members

I actually didnt mind him that much, but they tried pushing him on the road for a little while in the early 90s, and he bombed miserably. Warlord is Vince's own personal defence when people says he always pushes bodybuilders. He even buried him in WWE Magazine:

Question: What defines today's top Superstars?

Vince McMahon: It's everything that people don't see. It's easy to say from a visual standpoint that bigger is better in reference to past eras of WWF. But take The Warlord, for example. He was enormous, one of the most visually impressive Superstars we've had, but he couldn't sell five tickets. He had no charisma, no "gift of gab," which is what really sets apart today's Superstars, even if they may not be as physically intimidating. Someone like CM Punk, even though he's a good-looking guy, isn't built like that. He probably weighs less than I do. But today's fans are drawn to his confidence and charisma. Those are the things a Superstar exudes, and they translate though the television set.

Earthquake took Warlord's spot, and rightfully so. Quake had a better look, could work better and spoke better. Warlord as a singles wrestler, just had a big body. Warlord spent 18 months working with Davey Boy Smith, because the Bulldog knew how to play the power game with him.

Why was WCW never interested? They had Barbarian.

They were interested.

• Paid Members

I love the man.

When i met him a couple of years back, he was possibly the soundest celeb i have ever met, not to mention his biceps were the size of my head.. good effort.

He was a minder for 50 cent too at one point, so he has done OK for himself.

I liked him, but nah, I don't think he should have been pushed any more than he was.

He wasn never really a jobber, he held a decent spot through 90 and 91. Obviously he always lost vs the Bulldog, but he was generally protected pretty well and was on about the same level as the Tornado, Jake or Dibiase for instance. I think the only time I remember being surprised at him losing was vs the Anvil at UK Rampage.

Those 3 or 4 matches with the Bulldog were great, I thought.

Archived