Accepting What Is!

Michael_3165

SO! What is, is... one of those concepts lost on most people.

So many people go through life stressed, angry, annoyed, wound up about petty grievances, other peoples actions and differences in opinions or moral beliefs etc. They spent their entire time making bitchy, petty remarks whilst attempting to get "one ups" on other people. Of course what people fail to realise is that for the most part the only person they are hurting are themselves because it shows what kind of character they have as a person.

I am a firm believer that the moment people begin accepting what is in their lives the sooner they will be happier and experience less emotional turmoil.When I say what is, I mean things which cannot be changed. I am not saying passively accept things in life. If something can be changed and you feel strongly enough to change them then by all means go for it! But to spend time over thinking things that you cannot change is fruitless and unhealthy in my view.

The other thing is that people want to change others. Considering this is impossible it will only lead to short term goals and ultimately lead to outbursts of behaviour which the person finds unacceptable. It's like the woman who moans for years that her husband is an alcoholic. She cries, pleads, threatens to leave and generally makes herself and her husband miserable for years. If she accepted that she cannot change others she would accept him for who and what he is OR find a partner more compatible to her needs and wants. Instead she just lives a life of torment and misery. This can be put into everyday practice. Some people get wound up about things like customers at work, work colleagues, friends, family etc. Accepting people as they are makes it a whole lot easier.

In closing I would like to point out that I am a very assertive individual who isn't one to "roll over" when faced with challenges. I just believe in not over thinking things and making things worse in my head than they need to be :)

Discuss! and please... no flaming :p

• Moderators

So many people go through life stressed, angry, annoyed, wound up about petty grievances, other peoples actions and differences in opinions or moral beliefs etc. They spent their entire time making bitchy, petty remarks whilst attempting to get "one ups" on other people. Of course what people fail to realise is that for the most part the only person they are hurting are themselves because it shows what kind of character they have as a person.

I am a firm believer that the moment people begin accepting what is in their lives the sooner they will be happier and experience less emotional turmoil.When I say what is, I mean things which cannot be changed. I am not saying passively accept things in life. If something can be changed and you feel strongly enough to change them then by all means go for it! But to spend time over thinking things that you cannot change is fruitless and unhealthy in my view.

The other thing is that people want to change others. Considering this is impossible it will only lead to short term goals and ultimately lead to outbursts of behaviour which the person finds unacceptable. It's like the woman who moans for years that her husband is an alcoholic. She cries, pleads, threatens to leave and generally makes herself and her husband miserable for years. If she accepted that she cannot change others she would accept him for who and what he is OR find a partner more compatible to her needs and wants. Instead she just lives a life of torment and misery. This can be put into everyday practice. Some people get wound up about things like customers at work, work colleagues, friends, family etc. Accepting people as they are makes it a whole lot easier.

In closing I would like to point out that I am a very assertive individual who isn't one to "roll over" when faced with challenges. I just believe in not over thinking things and making things worse in my head than they need to be :)

What?

• Paid Members

What?

Don't quote the whole post.

Archived