WWE PPV Scheduling Madness

Forrest

A few weeks ago, I reported that TLC had been scrapped in favour of Bragging Rights, which was intended for June and had been replaced by the vapid Fatal 4-Way PPV. Well, apparently that's not happening any more because WWE PPV schedulers have clearly went mad as a brush because WWE then released this updated 6-month PPV schedule:

2/19: Elimination Chamber in Milwaukee, Winsconsin at the Scottrade Center

4/1: Wrestlemania 28 in Miami, Florida at SunLife Stadium

4/29: Extreme Rules in Chicago, IL at the Allstate Center

5/20: Over The Limit in Raleigh, NC at the RBC Center

6/17: Untitled PPV in East Rutherford, NJ at the Izod Center

7/15: Money In The Bank in Las Vegas, NV at the Thomas & Mack Center

8/19: Summerslam in Los Angeles, CA at the Staples Center

But now that's not even right because MITB's now been supposedly dropped in favour of TLC again! There's also now no December PPV and we don't even know what September/October's PPVs will be for sure.This got me thinking about people's hatred for gimmick PPVs. People moan they devalue the stipulations (and I agree, they do) but when they're asked about alternatives, everybody reverts to type and says a return of the 2005/2006 PPV schedule. Hell, even WWE have been stuck using old names again (like Vengeance and Bragging Rights) and I think it's because it's actually really fucking hard to make a good PPV name. The suggestions I've seen on forums are largely awful.

So, discuss the current PPV schedule and can you think of PPV names/ideas which are't just rehashes from 5/10 years ago?

I'm still mad they dont use the old WCW names. I think WWE Halloween Havoc in October could be all kinds of fun. Starrcade, Superbrawl and Slamboree are all great names and yet they were binned in favor of tripe like Bragging rights and Fatal 4 way. That's one of the things that bugs me about WWE.

I'm still mad they dont use the old WCW names. I think WWE Halloween Havoc in October could be all kinds of fun. Starrcade, Superbrawl and Slamboree are all great names and yet they were binned in favor of tripe like Bragging rights and Fatal 4 way. That's one of the things that bugs me about WWE.

Becaue Vince spent 10 years to delete the WCW history.

I'd love to see WWE use Halloween Havoc and Bash At The Beach, as well as cool set deigns like the mid to late 90s WCW ones had. Powerslam wrote once in an issue in 2004 that WWE had the late October PPV scheduled as Halloween Havoc, the same year they brought back The Great American Bash. But WWE got rid of the idea and put on Taboo Tuesday instead. I can't for the life of me think of a good name to use though, the only sort of schedule I can think of would be bringing back mowt of the old and washed up Gothic names that they got rid of only three years ago.

• Paid Members

I agree. Would I be right in saying that Great American Bash is the only WCW PPV name that WWE have used? Halloween Havoc, Starrcade, and SuperBrawl all sound good and have history behind them. I'd love WWE to do a Bash At The Beach too and who wouldn't want to see the return of War Games match at a Fall Brawl PPV?

The main thing that needs correcting. Take out a gimmick PPV that devalues matches (pref MITB and put that back at Mania) replace that with King of the Ring.

How does doing MITB at its own PPV instead of Mania devalue the match in any way? The only way I can see is having the year ending contract end at Mania the next year.

I can understand your point if it's regarding Hell in a Cell and TLC (to a lesser degree) as they used to be feud ending matches, and Elimination Chamber to an even lesser degree, but with MITB (your specific example) no degree at all.

The only positive for doing MITB at Mania instead of its own PPV is it gives a few wrestlers something to do at Mania and is usually an exciting match to have on the big show, but the last 2 MITB events have been great and it'd be a shame if the PPV is cancelled.

• Paid Members

Yeah, i'd love to see King of the Ring back. I highly enjoyed that kick starting WWEs big summer angles. Plus, it's a great wrestling show name. But i do also quite like the MITB ppv somewhat having become its replacement. I wouldn't mind MITB becoming a hybrid of the two. Having a tournament/qualifying matches on the PPV (starting on Raw and Smackdown maybe) to qualify for a big 6 man MITB match at the end of the night.

As far as names of shows goes, i quite liked it when In Your House shows all had a different name, generally relevant to what was going on, on the show.

The main thing that needs correcting. Take out a gimmick PPV that devalues matches (pref MITB and put that back at Mania) replace that with King of the Ring.

How does doing MITB at its own PPV instead of Mania devalue the match in any way? The only way I can see is having the year ending contract end at Mania the next year.

I can understand your point if it's regarding Hell in a Cell and TLC (to a lesser degree) as they used to be feud ending matches, and Elimination Chamber to an even lesser degree, but with MITB (your specific example) no degree at all.

The only positive for doing MITB at Mania instead of its own PPV is it gives a few wrestlers something to do at Mania and is usually an exciting match to have on the big show, but the last 2 MITB events have been great and it'd be a shame if the PPV is cancelled.

Just my oppinion but it takes away from it in 2 ways.

1) Being exclusive to the biggest PPV of the year gave it even more of a special feel.

2) Like any match the more it happens, the more it becomes routine. Not just the match its self, the cashing in too. You can't have two guys carrying the case around for ages because you're hyping the same thing twice a week. It becomes predictable as you know 1 guy will have to cash in within the first few weeks (this year Del Rio) and one will have to hold on for a while (Danielson) to avoid overkill as much as they can. Once the 1st 1 cashes in you know you wont see the other for a while and one of the most exciting bits after the match was the suspense of when will they. You miss Raw or Smackdown 1 week and you could miss a new champion (Miz or Swagger) and it was even harder to predict when it would happen as they go for either title.

Jan- Royal Rumble

Feb- Elimination Chamber

Mar- no PPV

April- Wrestlemania

May- Backlash

June- King of the Ring

July- Great American Bash

Aug- Summerslam

Sep- Money in the Bank

Oct- Halloween Havoc

Nov- Survivor Series

Dec- no PPV

In an ideal world I would have the WWE PPV year looking something like the above. Make the big four really important again including proper old school Survivor Series matches with random heel and face teams.

I always loved King of the Ring and miss it being a PPV, I think it should be brought back and given the early Summer slot perhaps the winner getting a WWE or World title chance at Summerslam.

MITB should stay with each Raw and Smackdown winner given 12 months to cash in.

March doesn't need a PPV, would prefer a big build to Mania from the Feb PPV. I would also drop a December PPV, they could always do a Raw Christmas special and with Tribute to the Troops I think they cover enough ground during the festive season.

Make the big four really important again including proper old school Survivor Series matches with random heel and face teams.

They have those pretty much every year. Nobody cares -- sometimes the match itself is fun, but it's almost never important. We see random heel and face teams every week on Raw and SmackDown, and have done for well over ten years.

Archived