The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films 2012 - The Results!

Devon Malcolm

Fantastic seeing American Beauty in the countdown,even happier seeing as I placed it at Number 1 :thumbsup:

This was the first film I remember seeing where pretty much all of the main performances blew me away.Spacey and Bening are fantastic and the rapport between the pair is so believable.Mena Suvari was excellent in her role and her character goes through a brilliant journey aswell.

Everything about this movie I love from the music to the cinematography.

And who could forget that image of Suvari barely covered in roses. :rolleyes:

• Paid Members

Pulp Fiction (1994)

Pulp_Fiction_cover.jpg

People wot put it in 1st place: 1

IMDB Rating: 9.0

What's it about?

What's it NOT about?

What do we say?

"Impossibly cool. Cooler than Kool and Gang. Approximately 40 Mega-Fonzies on the Cool-o-meter."

And he should know because he's ShortOrderCook / purplemonkeydishwasher.

Pulp Fiction is the kind of film that it's almost impossible to know where to start with it when writing about it. There is so much going on here that trying to boil it down in just a few paragraphs is a really tall order. But I'll muddle through the best that I can because that's just the type of guy that I am.

Firstly, the cast. Like with all films with an extensive cast like this, it's the undercard that interests me most of all. Amanda Plummer and Tim Roth as the foul-mouthed diner robbers are so good in the little screen time they get that I hoped for years they would get their own spin-off film. The superb Maria De Madeiros as Bruce Willis's girlfriend is an inch perfect piece of casting. Eric Stoltz and Rosanna Arquette are superb as the couple who nearly have Uma Thurman die in their lounge. Even Quentin Tarantino's pretty good although clearly outshone by Harvey Keitel in his small but perfectly formed role.

Then the chronology of the film. The first time I watched Pulp Fiction, I was so sucked in by the sheer quality and entertainment on offer that I hardly bothered to care about what order shit was supposed to be in. I only started to care about that on a fourth or fifth viewing. The idea of a version presented in chronological order horrifies me totally. It's not in this order just to be random and for Tarantino to show off....actually, it probably is, but so what? It works so well and is not nearly as disorientating as you might think it would be.

It has one or two irritating quirks that it doesn't need such as Mia's square and what's in the briefcase, but with a film of this sprawling a nature you're not going to come away from it without one or two imperfections. It is the only Quentin Tarantino film in the top 50, which is a major surprise, so I guess that answers any questions about whether people think it's his best film - so perhaps the most pertinent question in relation to it is what's the best bit?

(Modesty Blaise on the bog.)

Some good bits!

"My eyes are wide fuckin' open!"

• Awards Moderator

No surprise to see Pulp Fiction in the list, although I did think it would place higher. It just missed out on my top ten but it really is everything Gladders has said and then some.

Also going a few places back in the countdown, for anyone who hasn't seen Blazing Saddles yet, it's on ITV4 at 9pm. It's the funniest film of all time, so watch it, yeah?

• Paid Members

That's the second to get on off my list, so far. It's just so stylish! The dialogue's wonderful, too, the diner scene in particular. Tarantino hasn't topped it yet (although Inglorious was pretty great.)

This is probably my favourite possession, legit. 373611_BadMotherWallet.jpg.jpg

Edited by CleetusVanDamme

• Paid Members

Definitely in my top 10, can watch this everyday without finding it the slightest bit boring. Cool as fuck. How influential is this film? Surely one of the most influential of all time. Really set Tarrantino up for life, made/rejuvinated careers for its cast, spawned countless films trying to use the same formula.

• Paid Members
Gladstone, what's the plan for your film related polls after this one finishes? It's either Best Actors or Directors I think, isn't it? My memory's a bit fuzzy.

I'm not doing another one. I might do this one again at the end of the year, make it an annual thing.