The Super-Super-Duper Rugby Union thread!

Up Chuck

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Didn't have much of note to say after the Ireland and Scotland games, in honesty; come on lads, let's do this!

And hoping for Italy to beat Ireland, but that's not going to happen is it

My arsehole was twitiching like a rabbit's nose during the final minute of that game. Great result in the end, it was going to come down to whoever scored a try first during the second half. Wales' lineouts were still shit during that game, but their running game was very good. For Wales to get 3 points with 14 men showed how well they did with just keeping the ball in their hands and running down the clock.

• Paid Members

What a fucking game. I refuse to be disappointed by that performance - we stuffed up most everything Wales threw at us. Wales looked as dangerous going forward as everyone's come to expect and England rose to it almost every time. As mid-tournament home losses that could've gone either way go, this'll probably be the easiest to swallow that we'll ever see.

Warburton was a fully deserved man of the match (that try-saving tackle on Tuilagi being a particular highlight for him) but if the result had gone the other way, Farrell was walking away with that all day long. What a performance. Guy's 3 years younger than me and never looked anything close to phased. When he came off for Flood, there was nothing in that England backline (Youngs was supplying noticeably slower ball than Dickson too). Farrell at 10 has to be the way forward. Some of our attacking today was beautiful.

Other standouts for England were Barritt, whose defense was impeccable yet again, and Parling and Croft, who both have incredible gas tanks to keep on going like they did for the full 80. Poor show off the bench from Stevens, who seemed to be getting a telling-off from the ref every time he was on the screen.

Coming out evens from the yellow was a huge blow. Wales played the territory game superbly, and our previously squeaky-clean defense choked to give away that crucial penalty.

That no-try at the end was a bloody close one. My suspicion would be that Strettle grounded it on that bit that the video ref was looking at right before he made the call (before when he had it down on top of his own arm), but there's no way that could've been given. Plus Flood probably wouldn't have made the kick anyway...

So congratulations to Wales for a hard-earned Triple Crown. They came up against a defense that was ready for them, and still managed to catch them off-guard when it counted. They're possibly the most entertaining attacking threat in the sport right now. I wouldn't bet on a grand slam, but I wouldn't bet against it either. England-wise, I'm gutted to have lost, but there are too many positives to take from that to be properly disappointed.

Christ, that was way too close for comfort. England have proper stepped up their game since two weeks ago and, for a large portion of the match, were quite obviously the better team. Wales need to step it up and learn from their mistakes here if they can even hope to beat France.

I do love a lot of English giving it the big'un now though, a lot of people clearly can't accept defeat. Somebody on Twitter actually put "Remember, Wales: England OWNS you. Doesn't matter that you won the rugby. At the end of it all, you dance to our tune." A girl no less! She needs a good whack. Try or not, England would have still had to convert which would've been a huge challenge for Flood.

Brilliant match anyway, although I wanted to punch John Inverdale after asking "Did England lose that match?".

Cracking game, nip and tuck right down to the line. I know they couldn't really give that try, but I have a suspicion he grounded it when he stretched his arm out. Would have been a fucking hard kick, as you say opcws.

For such a young team they played brilliantly, and give me huge hope. We may not win this 6 Nations, but the next couple we should be immense. Farrell and Tulilagi are phenomenal, and will become the lynchpins of a glorious side.

We do need to sort out the backs though - they looked ragged every time the ball came out to them, and when you compare them with the disciplined running and positioning of the Welsh, you can see there's a lot of work to be done.

• Paid Members

If we drilled some nice moves in the backs, we could be lethal. Look at the World Cup warm-up against Wales at Twickenham - Tuilagi's positioning to break through for his try was amazing. We could be doing stuff like that every match. Ashton could be used so much better as well, his ability to pick strange but effective lines would be lethal in combination with Tuilagi. In fact, Tuilagi, Strettle, Ashton, Foden - four incredible attacking threats (even if you swap Foden for Brown), who should be drawing tacklers and opening up gaps. We did some good stuff today, but in a couple of years we'll be doing so much more.

Was able to catch it yesterday, bloody hell was it tense. Great match though and England really stepped it up with the young team, which looks good for the future.

But as a Wales fan, I was happy if the result, so much so I did a little jig. And that Scott Williams try came out of nowhere and a bit of beautiful play. There was so much quality play on that pitch it's hard not to feel pleased with the match overall.

• Paid Members
In other news, I'm calling 4:30am for Butch's drunken celebration post.

I'm expecting Butch has passed out in a puddle of his own piss and vomit, as such won't come round until this afternoon.

I underestimated him, didn't I? He's probably still in the bloody pub now.

Was able to catch it yesterday, bloody hell was it tense. Great match though and England really stepped it up with the young team, which looks good for the future.

But as a Wales fan, I was happy if the result, so much so I did a little jig. And that Scott Williams try came out of nowhere and a bit of beautiful play. There was so much quality play on that pitch it's hard not to feel pleased with the match overall.

Yeah, this a thousand times. When you've mulled it over, nobody should be walking away from that game unhappy. England are getting their shit together for the future. I just wish we'd had this midfield for the first 2 games - the opportunity to gel against the weaker sides would've been invaluable. Lancaster should absolutely stick with Farrell/Barritt/Tuilagi for France and Ireland. I think we've got Fiji first in the Autumn internationals, so they'll have a chance to really show off before taking on the big boys.

• Moderators

England played well, but they were essentially a scratch team and we should have performed far better than we did. Priestland had an absolute shocker, but he was owed one for playing so well for so long. It was great to see us not haemorrage points while a man down though, and our lineout was better than it has been for a long time even if that did only mean it was average. We cannot afford to play like that against the French though.

Archived