The Super-Super-Duper Rugby Union thread!

Up Chuck

• Paid Members

BRM being humble after a Welsh triple crown win at Twickenham = Stuart Lancaster is my favourite England manager ever (I keed, I keed).

I do think that holding out during the sin-bin was what won it for you. Well, a combination of that, and England having pretty much no attacking moves to trouble your defense.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the focus on dangerous tackling lately, I wonder why a card was not brandished for Robshaw bringing down Warburton at the lineout.

Similarly, when I saw the massive hit on Farrell I feared a card was coming but thankfully not

jipapd.gif

Here's the whole sequence - one beautiful piece of play followed by another

25tfh9z.gif

On the whole, Wales's gameplan was poor, but shored up by displays of individual brilliance.

Sam's try saving tackle

2w6f76a.gif

Scott Williams try was just a superb piece of play. Warburton's tackle pins Lawes to the spot, Ian holds him up, allowing Scott to rip. Picture perfect kick ahead, gather and try. Even adding on an Ashton-style dive to stick it to the locals. Perfect.

mux5j4.jpg

diapofa9066fdb5fc37eec2dcb7dba19f6a6f.gif

• Paid Members

England news of note:

Courtney Lawes is out for the rest of the tournament, which sucks. I was looking forward to some more depth in the second row. Isn't Palmer hurt too? Not sure who else they'd call up.

Also, Stuart Lancaster will be interviewed for the England job on a permanent basis before the end of the Six Nations, as will other candidates. Nick Mallett has apparently ruled himself out now.

Back to the rugby itself, teams are up for Sunday's game. Here's France, with Poitrenaud in for Medard (injured), and Bonnaire moving up from the bench with Picamoles moving in the opposite direction:

15. Clement Poitrenaud (Toulouse)

14. Vincent Clerc (Toulouse)

13. Aurelien Rougerie (Clermont Auvergne)

12. Wesley Fofana (Clermont Auvergne)

11. Julien Malzieu (Clermont Auvergne)

10. Francois Trinh-Duc (Montpellier)

9. Morgan Parra (Clermont Auvergne)

1. Jean-Baptiste Poux (Toulouse)

2. Dimitri Szarzewski (Stade Francais)

3. Nicolas Mas (Perpignan)

4. Pascal Pape (Stade Francais)

5. Yoann Maestri (Toulouse)

6. Thierry Dusautoir (Toulouse)

7. Julien Bonnaire (Clermont Auvergne)

8. Imanol Harinordoquy (Biarritz)

Replacements:

16. William Servat (Toulouse)

17. Vincent Debaty (Clermont Auvergne)

18. Lionel Nallet (Racing Metro)

19. Louis Picamoles (Toulouse)

20. Julien Dupuy (Stade Francais)

21. Lionel Beauxis (Toulouse)

22. Maxime Mermoz (Perpignan)

And Ireland are unchanged:

15. Rob Kearney (Leinster)

14. Tommy Bowe (Ospreys)

13. Keith Earls (Munster)

12. Gordon D’Arcy (Leinster)

11. Andrew Trimble (Ulster)

10. Jonathan Sexton (Leinster)

9. Conor Murray (Munster)

1. Cian Healy (Leinster)

2. Rory Best (Ulster)

3. Mike Ross (Leinster)

4. Donncha O’Callaghan (Munster)

5. Paul O’Connell (Munster)

6. Stephen Ferris (Ulster)

7. Sean O’Brien (Leinster)

8. Jamie Heaslip (Leinster)

Replacements

16. Sean Cronin (Leinster)

17. Tom Court (Ulster)

18. Donnacha Ryan (Munster)

19. Peter O’Mahony (Munster)

20. Eoin Reddan (Leinster)

21. Ronan O'Gara (Munster)

22. Fergus McFadden (Leinster)

Who are people going for in this one? I'm saying France by 5 points or less. Expecting Ireland to really fight for it, but the French backline's looked real dangerous so far (not to mention being tremendously entertaining). Should be a cracker.

EDIT: Forgot the most forum-relevant news of recent days! Premiership Rugby's new Commercial Director is former Senior Vice President and Managing Director of WWE, Dominic Hayes.

• Paid Members

Yeah, he's got a nasty streak, but I've always thought that having international responsibility heaped on your shoulders can help players grow out of that. Look at Dylan Hartley for an example of that. But, er, don't look at Martin Johnson. Shit, maybe second rows are immune.

Shaw did look really good in the World Cup, but I wouldn't have him near an England squad anymore. It's time to look forwards, and there's not a chance Shaw would've been in a World Cup squad in 3 and a half years.

• Moderators

I've got a soft spot for Simon Shaw mainly after Clive's 2005 Lions Calamity. When he was brought up as a stand-by my first reaction was "Fucking hell. Why doesn't he call up Garath Archer and Tim Rodber as well" but he was one of the best three players on the tour with Ryan Jones and Easterby (All called up as the tour went on). Fantastic purple patch and a rare example of a player getting better with age like a fine wine.

• Paid Members

He'll be a fine club player til he decides to hang it up, for sure. One of those guys Toulon or whoever else will be glad to have around during international periods.

• Paid Members

Makes things interesting, doesn't it? Wales are last men standing for the Grand Slam, and England, in my opinion, are in a much more favourable position than they were last week. A win against an unrested France team doesn't seem impossible, and it'd leave us second in the table. But yeah, Wales' tournament to lose now. Even if England manage to edge it against France and they go on to beat Wales with England beating Ireland, England won't make up the points difference. Especially as Wales have Italy to thump this week. Wales choking against France on the last day is entirely possible, but if Wales build up their difference this week they'll take the tournament even if they miss out on the Grand Slam.

Archived