The Super-Super-Duper Rugby Union thread!

Up Chuck

• Paid Members

When I saw this:

"Today, 03:25 AM

Last post by: PowerButchi"

...this was exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for:

I would let Dan Lydiate fuck my arsehole raw.

MANCRUSH!

What a fucking man.

Congratulations on retaining your ability to spell even after the post-match celebrations, by the way.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Has to be soon. It seems ridiculous that out of the 6 Nations teams' coaches at the World Cup, Robinson's survived alongside Gatland and Kidney.

Anyway, the real main event of the weekend (for everyone in two particular counties anyway) kicks off in about 20 minutes. The East Midlands derby goes to the West Midlands: Tigers vs Saints in the LV Cup Final. Teams!

Leicester Tigers

15 Geordan Murphy

I was a big Hadden fan. Problem with Scotland is they get a new coach bounce but over the long term they go back to what they are. They're the fifth best team in Europe, no more. Always competitive against England, worth a couple of wins in a good season, but they're not contenders anymore. Except, under this joker, they've gone even lower. He's a bad head coach.

Personally, I think Lancaster would have been best kept at Saxons level. However, the coaching appointee has to be on board with using the Saxons as a good seasoning/breeding ground, especially for creating familiarity between players.

• Paid Members

I'd be happy with Lancaster as a deputy while also managing the Saxons - maybe co-managing both? The Saxons side has become a great resource and linking it to the first team like that could be a real positive. I definitely agree that it's a good place to build combinations for guys who look set to become EPS prospects. The first two names popping into my head there and George Ford and Billy Twelvetrees, as they know each other already but will be at different clubs from next season.

• Paid Members

Apologies for the bump. Dan Lydiate's been awarded 6 Nations player of the tournament, which would be hard to begrudge him. Fofana would've taken it for me, but Lydiate's the deserved winner out of the shortlist.

Also, Northampton's Calum Clark has been cited for yanking Tigers' Rob Hawkins' arm behind his back in the LV Cup final, which left Hawkins with a fractured elbow. Nasty bit of foul play and should end up in a hefty ban. Rest of the season for sure.

And lastly, it's Varsity day in Leicester, so I'm off to my first bit of live rugby in a while tonight - Uni of Leicester (yay!) vs De Montfort Uni (boo!) at Welford Road. My other half did her BA at DMU and is doing the same MA as me at Leicester, so she's gonna switch hoodies depending on who's winning.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

3 in a row, I'm treading the line here! As everyone's probably seen, Stuart Lancaster's got the England job. Time will tell if it's the right call but it's hard to pick fault with it right now. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out and I'm pretty optimistic, too.

One guy who won't be featuring in his plans any time soon, though, is Calum Clark, who's been given a THIRTY TWO WEEK BAN for his armbar on Rob Hawkins in the LV Cup final (which broke Hawkins' elbow). That means he's free to play on 2nd November, which puts him out of England's summer tour and realistically scuppers his chances of making the Autumn internationals too. It's a massive blow for a young guy who was just breaking in to the England setup, but fully deserved for such shameless thuggery.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Mental news: Leeds Rhinos vs Leicester Tigers hybrid rules match might be happening at the Emirates Stadium in June. Link.

Side note, anyone catch Harlequins/Tigers at the weekend? What a game! I'm biased as fuck but I fancy Tigers for the title now. We can beat anyone on the right day, especially with Flood on form fizzing out awesome passes in all directions (the one Monye grabbed notwithstanding).

Mental news: Leeds Rhinos vs Leicester Tigers hybrid rules match might be happening at the Emirates Stadium in June. Link.

Hope its not like the Bath-Wigan cross overs in the 1990's as they were shit. Wigan thrashed Bath in the League Game, and Bath scraped to a less impressive win in the Union game

• Paid Members

The story in the link suggests it'll be a single hybrid rules match, possibly using the rules that were created for some big schools game in New Zealand. I've seen some folk on Twitter talking about "league defense, union attack", but all I can discern from that is the 6 tackles law will probably be in effect.

Even the overview of the rules confuses me. Essentially, you get a set of six in your own half but as soon as you cross the halfway line, it reverts to rugby union rules. Fucking strange.

I often wish they could bring the games back together somehow without losing large numbers of fans. A genuinely national rugby code, certainly in this country, would revolutionise the game. Currently, both codes stifle each other through geography. Internationally, we'd have the Kangaroos vs. the All-Blacks, genuinely showcasing the best rugby footballers in the world. However, this game sounds like a complete farce.

Interestingly, if they did the Super League champions vs. the Premiership winners now, it'd be much more competitive because when Bath and Wigan had their games, Wigan were streets ahead in the fitness and ability stakes, whereas now the player are long-term full professionals.

Archived